Help Needed with MY01 Firmware Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philsx

Car
CLK430 Cabrio
Hi,
I've recently bought a lovely CLK430 Avantgarde Cabrio (W208 - 2000W) with absolutely every option from the list including Comand. However I'm quite disappointed with the sat nav as the mapping doesn't show any of the smaller roads and lanes near my home. I intend to buy a 2007 map disk soon but first want to upgrade the Comand firmware to MY01. (Currently the software version is showing in the diagnostic as vn 08-17, FIS 8 Oct 1999, and the map CD is 1999-I).

I've downloaded the software from the Geocities link in these forums and burned it as a disk image on CD. However I can't get the comand unit to load it - I get as far as the screen which says 'Service Download from CD' and 'Please Insert Download CD' but nothing happens when I put the CD in. I can just about hear the CD spin up as though it's reading it but nothing else happens.

I've tried reburning the CD using diferent burning s/w and at slower speed but makes no difference. I wondered if perhaps the CD player did not like CD-R's but when I put in a music CD-R it plays perfectly. I've checked the CD itself and it seems fine and contains all the files needed so I don't think that's the source of the problem.

What I also noticed is that it does not seem to recognise ANY CD disk that you put into it at the first stage of the upgrade process. Exactly the same happens when I put in say the actual maps disk ... surely it should reject the CD? It just sits there with the front screen (which says 'Service Download from CD' and 'Please Insert Download CD') and I also noticed that you can't even move it with the rotary control to highlight the 'Cancel' option.

The CD drive seems to work fine otherwise ... plays music CD's or reads navi map disk with no problems.

Can anyone help me with how to get this upgrade working?
Thanks ... Phil

Hi,
I've recently bought a lovely CLK430 Avantgarde Cabrio (W208 - 2000W) with absolutely every option from the list including Comand. However I'm quite disappointed with the sat nav as the mapping doesn't show any of the smaller roads and lanes near my home. I intend to buy a 2007 map disk soon but first want to upgrade the Comand firmware to MY01. (Currently the software version is showing in the diagnostic as vn 08-17, FIS 8 Oct 1999, and the map CD is 1999-I).

I've downloaded the software from the Geocities link in these forums and burned it as a disk image on CD. However I can't get the comand unit to load it - I get as far as the screen which says 'Service Download from CD' and 'Please Insert Download CD' but nothing happens when I put the CD in. I can just about hear the CD spin up as though it's reading it but nothing else happens.

I've tried reburning the CD using diferent burning s/w and at slower speed but makes no difference. I wondered if perhaps the CD player did not like CD-R's but when I put in a music CD-R it plays perfectly. I've checked the CD itself and it seems fine and contains all the files needed so I don't think that's the source of the problem.

What I also noticed is that it does not seem to recognise ANY CD disk that you put into it at the first stage of the upgrade process. Exactly the same happens when I put in say the actual maps disk ... surely it should reject the CD? It just sits there with the front screen (which says 'Service Download from CD' and 'Please Insert Download CD') and I also noticed that you can't even move it with the rotary control to highlight the 'Cancel' option.

The CD drive seems to work fine otherwise ... plays music CD's or reads navi map disk with no problems.

Can anyone help me with how to get this upgrade working?
Thanks ... Phil

I would buy the official service Cd from your local dealer and try that.

You can get the part number from richards website www.mercupgrades.com under FAQ.

MY01 Upgrade

Thanks for the suggestion Alfie - but when I spoke to my local MB dealer they said that they would not sell me the disk (even though I quoted the part number) saying that it was for workshop use only. They also said that as my car has always been serviced by the original supplying MB garage it would have had the MY01 upgrade done automatically when it was serviced. I definitely don't get the Merc star on start up nor do I see greyed out letters when entering an address - is it possible that I'll only see these when I buy a more recent map disk? Where do I go from here?

Thanks for the suggestion Alfie - but when I spoke to my local MB dealer they said that they would not sell me the disk (even though I quoted the part number) saying that it was for workshop use only. They also said that as my car has always been serviced by the original supplying MB garage it would have had the MY01 upgrade done automatically when it was serviced. I definitely don't get the Merc star on start up nor do I see greyed out letters when entering an address - is it possible that I'll only see these when I buy a more recent map disk? Where do I go from here?

Your dealer is mistaken as you your car clearly has not got the update.

Some dealers refuse to sell the disk. Try another dealer or I can get it for you. I'll PM you some details.

So frustrating when one shop does not perform the service to the detail and another one insists nothing is wrong when the other shop is expected having done their job, and not really willing to help with that argument :mad:

An ordinary car owner would be completely helpless with these shops that have poor customer service (even the shop that might have done the car service itself accurately) if forums like this did not exist (with members like Alfie here and others for other problems). So unfortunate these days that so often the owner first needs to figure out what exactly the car needs, and only then the shop is able to perform the service. I hope this car will have the updates properly done, one way or the other.

Just as a matter of interest, but do you have the scale set on maximum, if its one or two points down, small roads and lanes dissapear.

MY01 Upgrade

Thanks Alfie, Diesel and Geoff - I'm going to wait until after Christmas then buy a new 2007/8 mao disk AND the command upgrade disk together. Incidentally I went to two local Merc dealerships, both as it happens owned by the same organisation. The first one said they would order it if I wanted them to, but then told me their (shared) stock system said their sister branch had one in stock. It was the sister branch that then did not want to sell it to me ....!

Ironically the same organisation also owns the Lexus dealer where I have my RX300 serviced - and they are exceptional, cannot fault them!

Oh and thanks for the suggestion Geoff but I do have it on maximum scale; it's not just small unclassified lanes that are not appearing, some quite well used B-roads seem not to show up. I guess that back in 1999 the mapping detail was much poorer - or our expectations much lower!

Still no luck with MY01 Upgrade

Hi - I'm picking up this story after a break of almost exactly 12 months! I decided to wait until I took my car in to the MB dealer for it's next service, and then ask them to apply the upgrade. Well I've now had my 'A' service and, after explaining several times what I wanted (including quoting the exact part number of the MY01 disk) I took it in again today and waited while they attempted to apply the update disc. Exactly the same thing happened as when I tried myself - it stops at the 'Please Insert Download CD' screen and nothing happened when the mechanic put the CD in. I got him to try it twice but same thing happened each time.

The mechanic tried to tell me that there must be a problem with my CD head unit, but I don't buy that as it reads the Navi CD perfectly (and will play audio CDs if I put one in). He assured me he'd used the same disc on another W208 a month ago and it worked fine. I came away disappointed!

However I've since realised something - the disc that he was using was one that he told me had be burned from the download sent through official MB channels to the dealer - and therefore not quite the same as an 'official' spare part listed disc. And of course it was a CD-R disc! Now that has me thinking - could it be that my head unit will not read CD-R discs, but might work fine with a proper 'pressed' CD disk? I know some household CD drives will not read CD-R, has anyone come across anything similar with their Comand CD drive??

I know some household CD drives will not read CD-R, has anyone come across anything similar with their Comand CD drive??

I don't have this Comand but have you tried to burn an audio CD on a CD-R media to test if your drive reads it?

Hi - I'm picking up this story after a break of almost exactly 12 months! I decided to wait until I took my car in to the MB dealer for it's next service, and then ask them to apply the upgrade. Well I've now had my 'A' service and, after explaining several times what I wanted (including quoting the exact part number of the MY01 disk) I took it in again today and waited while they attempted to apply the update disc. Exactly the same thing happened as when I tried myself - it stops at the 'Please Insert Download CD' screen and nothing happened when the mechanic put the CD in. I got him to try it twice but same thing happened each time.

The mechanic tried to tell me that there must be a problem with my CD head unit, but I don't buy that as it reads the Navi CD perfectly (and will play audio CDs if I put one in). He assured me he'd used the same disc on another W208 a month ago and it worked fine. I came away disappointed!

However I've since realised something - the disc that he was using was one that he told me had be burned from the download sent through official MB channels to the dealer - and therefore not quite the same as an 'official' spare part listed disc. And of course it was a CD-R disc! Now that has me thinking - could it be that my head unit will not read CD-R discs, but might work fine with a proper 'pressed' CD disk? I know some household CD drives will not read CD-R, has anyone come across anything similar with their Comand CD drive??

Yes. Copied disks are notoriously bad for this sort of thing.

My suggestion is to buy the original disk or pop over to Woking and I'll do it for you.

when i had my COMAND 2.0 i noticed that it could be fussy with the brand of CDR used.

try a couple of different brands. Sony or TDK etc.

Testing the compatible brand is easiest by burning some music onto it and see if it reads it. if it does use that brand for the update disc.

Dealers really seem to struggle with software updates and issues as described above.Was chatting to a Greenoaks service receptionist about TMC, he didn't know what it is.

Command has the attribute of being 'visible' to the user so you can. to some extent, see what the status is.

Makes me wonder what happens with the software updates you can't see, to the various management systems etc.

With my previous car (LR) the dealer got the updates in such a mess that an LR techy had to be brought in to sort it out.

Got the original MB MY01 Firmware CD if your interested, I used it and dont need it any more. Drop me a pm if your interested.

Original MB Disc

Thanks Diesel, Alfie, Silver, Raymont and PJayUK for your suggestions and offers of help - I think the best thing will definitelybe to try it with an original MB MY01 Firmware CD (like I expected my MB stealer to do :))... if that doesn't work then I guess nothing will.

I'd like to take PJayUK up on his offer of using his disc if possible .... but I don't seem to be able to PM anyone on here anymore for some reason ... so please get in touch with me if you can.

This is copied from my old post. It was the only way I could get my Comand 2 to update.

1. Switch off ignition and withdraw ign key
2. Switch Comand with ON/OFF switch and wait about 10s until operating unit is correctly switched off
3. Press keys * and # at the same time and hold and switch on unit with ON/OFF switch. Wait until download screen is displayed then release keys.
4. Insert CD if ejected insert again.
5. Start download by selecting with start operating rotary knob and press rotary knob.
About 45 mins later confirm final message with OK, remove CD and insert NAVI map CD and switch unit off and on with ON switch.
The orignal post also had instructions how to overwrite same version and if necessary, stop ICAN activity. The post also suggested pulling the fuse for a while and trying again if the above does not work.

Worked for me, the credit goes to the author.

I'd like to take PJayUK up on his offer of using his disc if possible .... but I don't seem to be able to PM anyone on here anymore for some reason ... so please get in touch with me if you can.

I guess you have to have 30 posts before you can send PM. A while ago I "complained" why others cannot send PM for the one who has not reached 30 posts but got blamed about a bad idea, I guess it is a "technical" issue too.

I'd suggest posting a few messages soon or putting your contact info available for PJayUK temporarily (make your email address difficult to read for spam robots).

If your COMAND has intelligent spelling then you already have the update installed. Not all COMAND units have a 2001 firmware date when the MY01 patch is applied. Some still claim to have a pre-2000 version even after the update.

If your COMAND has the DX logo on boot (shows for a short time) then you have the update. Other than that I think the small streets depend on the map, location and zoom value selected.

The other complication is that a small number of COMAND units do not update as expected and they do nothing at all. Even when the correct buttons are pressed. That is a problem with a batch.

Could be any one of these things in tandem. Must use a factory CD to avoid a problem where the laser in the unit is too weak to register with a CD-R etc.

The age of the unit tells me that it is a lottery of possible reasons.

Need Original MY01 Disc

Hi PJayUK - I've put my MSN contact address onto my profile, could you email me there as I'd like to get hold of your original MY01 update disc if you don't need it any more .... or just borrow it for a while.

Miro - thanks for your info - I don't have intelligent spelling or the Merc logo when it boots up .... and I'm hoping that it isn't one of the batch of units that you mention that won't update at all!

Tried again with CD-R

Thanks DickChailey .... sounds like you are in my neck of the woods. I've tried again with the CD-R disc following your instructions to the letter. It only ever gets as far as the 'Insert Update Disc' screen - what happens is that I insert the CD and can hear that little high pitched squawk as the drive spins up the CD ... so I know that it is definitely trying to read the data off the disc, but the screen never moves on to the next one which would have the start option. Given that the drive has no problem reading the Navi disc (or a music CD) I'm thinking that my only option now is to try using an original disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom