HID Xenon or LED, which is brighter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alban

Car
MB W204 2000
Hi, all. My question is H4 light bulbs: which is brighter? HID Xenon or LED?

Xenon will project the light forward...LED will not do this to anywhere near the same extent.

Forget LEDs in standard fit bulb replacements, except for low power "be seen" lights like 501 sidelights.

We ride round in the dark on our MTBs using LED light systems which have now mostly replace HID systems. They are of course weight alot less and are more robust, and depending on how you set them up, they have more lumens/beam penetrance than HID.

We do have to dip them when riding the quiet lanes between trails since they are brighter than the car headlights.

My car has LED lights as standard not Xenon and they are amazing, very bright. Each headlight has I think 72 LEDs but the comments above are about the bulb replacement LEDs and I've no idea how good they are.

A 35W HID lamp is over 3000 lumen.

There is currently no replacement type bulbs with that kind of output, only purpose-built LED assemblies.

I guess given the speed with which they can be developed, MTB lights are ahead of car light development. My biking set up is 2800 lumens, with two triple LED lamps. Running the latest cree LED's you certainly wouldn't need 72! I guess both HID and LED are plenty!

I do like the HID even on dipped in my S211.

We ride round in the dark on our MTBs using LED light systems which have now mostly replace HID systems. They are of course weight alot less and are more robust, and depending on how you set them up, they have more lumens/beam penetrance than HID.

We do have to dip them when riding the quiet lanes between trails since they are brighter than the car headlights.

HID systems ? I heared that the HID xenon headlights must work with a xenon hid kit, right?

My car has LED lights as standard not Xenon and they are amazing, very bright. Each headlight has I think 72 LEDs but the comments above are about the bulb replacement LEDs and I've no idea how good they are.

I search some details about HID light, the power of halogen lamp general is 60w-100w, but the hid is 35w, the hid seems to be energy saving.

i guess given the speed with which they can be developed, mtb lights are ahead of car light development. My biking set up is 2800 lumens, with two triple led lamps. Running the latest cree led's you certainly wouldn't need 72! I guess both hid and led are plenty!

I do like the hid even on dipped in my s211.

the hid and led both popular

Last edited:
Quite expensive to change to xenon lights. They aren't illegal when fitted from the factory with washers , levelling systems , the correct lenses , relflectors etc .

They are illegal to fit them to a light designed for a halogen lamp.

Use the 'search' on this site and you will get an idea of what is legal and what is not and the work involved. There are numerous posts on the subject.

Alban,

Presumably you currently have headlamps with standard halogen filament bulbs in them. Legally, you cannot change these bulbs for a different type - all you can do is experiment with better bulbs like Osram NightBreakers or Philips Extreme.

As you've noticed, people do sell "HID kits", which is an HID burner and ballast designed to fit in place of the filament bulb. These give terrible results in reflector-type headlamps ("bowl-shaped" reflector as opposed to thick glass projector lenses) as the reflectors are designed around a very precise filament position which the HID arc can't replicate. These give off lots of dazzle and may well be illegal under this year's MoT rules.

LED replacement bulbs are also available, but these are even worse for not replicating the filament position. Fortunately for everyone else, they don't give off a lot of light relative to HID kits.

The only good changes you can make are better bulbs, a complete change to factory HID headlight assemblies (including auto levelling and washers) or a new car.

LEDs only work in custom-designed assemblies, like in some high-end new cars and in many bike lights. They are the future, but not in an H4 shape...

Both HID and LED are more efficient than halogen, consuming less power and generating less heat for more light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom