Hidden Streets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu

Car
C200 Sport Petrol W205
When selecting a street as a destination with my command navigation system I am unable to find the street either by entering it or in the street list (This is after selecting a town), However when I finally arrive and drive down said street, the nav system in MAP mode shows the name correctly. Is it just mine or is this a feature?
Car is 2003 CLK 270. CD is UK Tele Atlas 2002 Version.

Stu

I have found this before, it is usually due to a street not technically being in the town you thought it was in ;)

You could try upgrading tothe 2003 disk - its amazing what streets appeared on that one compared to 2002 - like the new M60 manchester ring motorway for example.

there is a new tmc disk due out soon - try contacting teleatlas the map disk people at www.teleatlas.co.uk

I do not think it is the ambiguity about the area. Of two examples - Green Street, Morden Greater London and Wrexham Street Mold North Wales, Morden could possibly be, but Mold is a small town 10 miles from any other place of significance.
But I could easily believe that the cross indexing of the disk was incomplete or just wrong.

I always get good results using the postcode rather than the street. So if you have this function perhaps you may find it more reliable.

Originally posted by steve_bcs
the postcde only gives you the town doesnt it ??

With my non-command navi : No, areas within towns. Depends on the postcode, sometimes it is 2 or 3 roads, sometimes dozens.

I have noticed this before, and on the teleatlas site they talk about a particular cd :

"You can select about 90,000 cities and towns as destinations to be guided to"
(for the france CD for example) - but in fact the cd has many many more roads on the map which you can select via the map option.

-I think they save space on the disk by not indexing all the locations

as for TMC, don't hold your breath, France is several years ahead of us in TMC implementation and I wasn't very impressed by the breadth of coverage/service over there so I think we have a few years to go before I would upgrade a disk just for TMC

Originally posted by steve_bcs
the postcde only gives you the town doesnt it ??
I thought that a full post code usually narrows down to approx 10 to 15 properties along a street. It's very specific.

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
I thought that a full post code usually narrows down to approx 10 to 15 properties along a street. It's very specific.
Yeah, but with some comand discs you can only enter the first few letters of the postcode :)

Mine (which si based on teleatlas) lets me put in the full postcode. Usually its within 20 meters of the front door that I want.

Originally posted by Sp!ke
Mine (which si based on teleatlas) lets me put in the full postcode. Usually its within 20 meters of the front door that I want.
Sp!ke, is that the PC software that you use in conjunction with your laptop?

S.

Thanks everyone.
Conclusion seems to be that the CD does not have a full index of streets for each identified town/suburb, although the streets are on the CD.
I can improve this by "upgrading" my CD. Unfortunately the dictionary definition of upgrade and Tele Atlas's version are different. Their approach is to treat these £100 CDs as disposable items and make you pay all over again for a version which might be a bit better or not depending on where you live. My 7 month old version does not have Post code capability.
You can buy a lot of beer for £100....

Stu

Originally posted by stu

You can buy a lot of beer for £100....

Stu

True , and then you wouldnt need sat nav cos you'd be over the limit to drive and just hop in a cab ...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom