how to change air filters on W211 E280CDI (facelift)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
lol just loosen all the screws and tip it over; 'things just fall out'

bobby's job....
:D

Just a quick note to add.

The x pipe can be tricky to re-locate back in the filter housing and sometimes it is easier to loosen all of it (3 jubilee clips) The one that attaches to the turbo has an orange seal inside it and it easy to damage when re-installing. Really this seal should be replaced every time you remove it and if the is any evidence of oil leakage.

Also the Star should be plugged in to tell the Engine Control Unit that you have fitted new filters. It sounds bonkers but there is a menu to do this. It is not essential but it is good to do it.

The x pipe can be tricky to re-locate back in the filter housing and sometimes it is easier to loosen all of it (3 jubilee clips) The one that attaches to the turbo has an orange seal inside it and it easy to damage when re-installing. Really this seal should be replaced every time you remove it and if the is any evidence of oil leakage.

Also the Star should be plugged in to tell the Engine Control Unit that you have fitted new filters. It sounds bonkers but there is a menu to do this. It is not essential but it is good to do it.

Do you have a part number for the orange seal?

No, you don't need the part number. Just quote the chassis number of the car to your local mb parts dept and they will look it ip for you.

yeah i found it easier to remove the x pipe and refit it after changing the filters...
picking up the three jubilee clips and the seal tomorrow...
star will have to wait till i come down to horndean next :thumb:
btw if you reset the airfilters as new on the star; will this become apparent to MB when the car goes in for it's b service?

^ Please have a look at these Olly; should i be worried?

i had a new turbo a few months ago under warranty... and when i came to change the filters i saw this gunk (a little may have dropped as i took the hose out from the turbo).
i also noticed that the jubilee clip wasnt very tight either (could that have caused the leak?)

yeah i found it easier to remove the x pipe and refit it after changing the filters...
picking up the three jubilee clips and the seal tomorrow...
star will have to wait till i come down to horndean next :thumb:
btw if you reset the airfilters as new on the star; will this become apparent to MB when the car goes in for it's b service?

No.

^ Please have a look at these Olly; should i be worried?

i had a new turbo a few months ago under warranty... and when i came to change the filters i saw this gunk (a little may have dropped as i took the hose out from the turbo).
i also noticed that the jubilee clip wasnt very tight either (could that have caused the leak?)

It looks like it has the new type seal.

The old seals do leak quite a bit and it seems like you has at some point due to the muck just below the turbo intake.

have cleaned the muck...

but the new seal i got (same part number and looks the same) seemed a little bit firmer.

and when i tried to push it on... the plastic surround got a nice little crack on the top!!! :doh: :eek:

ouch! :(

pics here as i seem to have run over my upload limit...

w211 e280cdi - a set on Flickr

wonder what grease i can use to help fit the seal and hose into the turbo intake?

lil bit of engine oil worked a treat, thanks for that Olly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom