• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How to install a power socket

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
This mod was inspired by Shude who on a separate thread listed the parts you would need to do this mod. I'm not aware of anyone doing it though!

The problem is the kids DVDs and CD players, phone chargers and various gadgets that all need power from the cigarette lighter in the dashboard :(

The solution as Shude mentioned is to install one of these in the rear of the car...................a power socket.

I was looking for a place deep enough to install it that would look OEM and not muck up either trim or the interior of something else. The solution was the Rear ash tray as we dont smoke!

Firstly you unclip the ashtray and take it in doors as its far to cold to be drilling out side.

The ashtray is not deep enough to take the socket with the metal inside, so lift the two tabs on the side and remove the metal interior, leaving just the Ashtray door.

You then need to cut out the "key hole " shape to receive the socket. To help do his tape the surface to stop drill bits slipping and to enable you to mark where to drill.

After much sanding and adjusting the socket fits exactly in the hole like this....

Nicely done, thats the socket that I will need if I do the Cup holder mod in the SL.

Its a shame that MB did not do an ash tray with and integrated cig lighter like they do for the front.

I havent shown the electrical connections because I think you need to know what you are doing but. The parts Shude listed include the connectors to the back of the socket. I connected 15amp two core automotive cable to the socket and then drilled a hole to the bottom right of the hole where the ash tray goes. I fed the cable through that hole and out the side of the arm rest tunnel, tucking the cable up into the tunnel until I got to the front of the tunnel where the ash tray is.

I took the ash tray as shown in my Dash mod thread and then tapped into the back of the existing Ash tray using 15amp Chocolate box to help the connections to be made more easily.

The best bit was it all worked first time.

To finish the job I stuck the rear Ash Tray cover in place which looks like this

Last edited:
looks completely OEM ... soon you'll be as good as Steve!!

Looks great! I'm glad those parts I quoted actually work ;)

Good job I trust ya mate! Thanks for your inspiration :)

Edit: Shudes part numbers were
A0015458728 : PIN BUSHING HOUSING : EUR 1.22
A0075458426 : PIN BUSHING : EUR .78 (X2)
A0085458226 : PLUG SOCKET : EUR 1.02
A2108200951 : FITTING MOLD : EUR 9.07

I actually didnt use the plug socket (no room) or the pin bushing housing (I used Chocolate box)

Last edited:
Seriously though, it's about the same price as rubbish aftermarket sockets and it's almost definitely going to be better.

It not only works but it does look cool and totally OEM, which as we know, in the long run is always the way to go!

Just to confirm, I have now done a long run with the kids in the back. everything works perfectly and the mod is an extremely practical one!

Sorry if this may seems an attempt of hijacking the tread but, since it's not possible to quote in the Members gallery, please may you clarify me what's a bling key. A part the crome star logo the old el-key seems me as the new one.

What does "bling" means?

Thanks a lot

Hi :)

A recent survey on the web concluded..............

"Vocabulary Test (Slang): "Bling bling"--what the heck does this phrase mean to you?
"So I said, 'Ahh-yite! Yeah! Now don't be gettin' all up in my bling-bling!' I did, I told 'im, girrr, yes I sho did, m-hm!" Advanced_Stats

Votes Answer
23 "Bling bling" describes something new, shiny.
11 Sounds like the creator of this survey needs to define more options for his surveys. (OTHER:)
2 It is some hip-hop form of communication of which I do not fully understand, nor do I relate to it.
2 I have no idea...nor do I have an opinion, and--mostly--I don't really give a [bling-bling]!
1 It's the best possible imitation one can make of a telephone when they've got a cold.
0 It means my SO needs to treat me royally.
0 It means "talk to the hand".
0 It means "talk to some udda part of my bod 'cause honey even da' hand ain't listenin'! Hmph!"
0 It's that sound made every once in a while on that TV show "Law and Order".
0 I don't know but it sounds like a name for some foo-foo kitty, like "Jingle-Puff", or something. "

I guess 23 people were right!!

bling is when you have something that shows others you are wealthy; ie if you bought a brand new CL 65 AMG then that would be your bling.

most of us have to accept we have BLONG

SilverSaloon said:
ie if you bought a brand new CL 65 AMG then that would be your bling.
Not true though, because most people can't tell one mercedes from another, where's the bling in that?

If it's a gold-plated CL65 with diamond-encrusted bonnet ornament then it's bling :)

Well I knew what I meant by a Bling key, a shiney one rather than a blacl non shiny one!

OOHHHH :eek: just this. I was wondering some wonderful up-grading that may flash all around with engine start up :confused:
My disappointment :D

R2D2 said:
"Bling bling" describes something new, shiny.

so, being me new, I'm also a bling bling member, at least for one wheek :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom