How to recover a corrupted Outlook [pst] file

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Can anyone recommend a bit of software that can recover a corrupted outlook *.pst archive? The pst file is approx 3.5GB

I have tried the outlook repair tool with no luck, but see various software tools advertised at varying cost adn am unsure if (a) they work or (b) the best one to buy

Many thanks

Sean

Yes I have - the file I am trying to load is one of three old archives I have. The others are all fine.

A 2002 > 97 Outlook file physically wont exceed its limit - somewhere around 1.9GB it will be full and wont increase.

For a file to be 3.5GB, it will be a 2003 > Later 10GB job.

I've certainly had one from a person which couldn't be fixed and in the end, had to drag out the emails which I could and scrap the rest.

Backup of PST files is the best thing - PFBackup worked well although not used it for a while.

"As in earlier versions of Outlook, Outlook 2003 Internet Message Access Protocol Version 4rev1 (IMAP4) accounts and HTTP accounts use .pst files that do not use the Unicode format. Therefore, the .pst files for IMAP or HTTP accounts in Outlook 2003 are limited to 2 GB. "

Unless they are corrupt, obviously

Sorry - Outlook 2003 or 2007. Have migrated to Office 2010 since the file was created and think it was one of those versions

"As in earlier versions of Outlook, Outlook 2003 Internet Message Access Protocol Version 4rev1 (IMAP4) accounts and HTTP accounts use .pst files that do not use the Unicode format. Therefore, the .pst files for IMAP or HTTP accounts in Outlook 2003 are limited to 2 GB. "

Unless they are corrupt, obviously

We don't know what protocol is being used. However, because it is 3.5GB, I'm assuming MAPI. 2GB limit on PST files is a physical limit.

Sorry - Outlook 2003 or 2007. Have migrated to Office 2010 since the file was created and think it was one of those versions

Could be either 2GB or 10GB format still - but as yours is 3.5GB, it will be of the '2003 onwards' variety (still assuming MAPI).

Can you access any emails in it at all or does it refuse to even open it?

Problem solved - ran Scanpst again 'properly' [it seems it hung on previous attempts - reverts to 'not responding' and appears like a crash] and left the computer on while we went out despite the not repsonding status. Hey presto greeted by a 'repaired' dialogue box on our return.

Copies made of repaired archive and all good. Thanks for the input guys

Great to hear that you have solved your problem. Scanpst.exe takes time to scan the pst file, The time taken depends on the corruption level. When a pst file is severely corrupted scanpst sometimes hangs and revert "not responding error" in such cases third party tools comes in action as you have solved your problem i don't think you now need to go for third party tools but for future reference keep a copy of Kernel for PST Repair tool which can repair pst file which are severely corrupted too.

To be honest, the example I quoted in post #5 resulted in a still-duff PST file, so I wasn't totally surprised scanpst might not have fixed it.

Glad you got it working anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom