How to repair your ECU ignition part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Now you have removed the heatsink clip you can remove the bottom cover to reveal the circuit board to desolder the transistors.

5570764834_3881b660e6_z_zps7f140b79.jpg

5570765018_2c8c5bb53a_z_zps8125be67.jpg

5570175869_ea379aea7f_z_zps1cc37c89.jpg

5577247835_3833a8070c_z_zpsbfabcade.jpg

5577248005_c2f6832fb9_z_zps965b5066.jpg

I should add that as Dieselman has helpfully reminded us quite frequently these ECU ignition out transistors overheat due to problems with the ignition coils or their low tension supply wiring from the ECU to the coils themselves. This is often due to thermal stress causing wiring insulation breakdown or bad connections in the ECU plug. After you repair the ECU it would be a pity if that work was wasted by the original fault causing a second failure. Have a good look at the wiring and check the coils since they are a very common failure on that engine. On 4 cylinder cars One coil fires 1 and 4 and the other 2 and 3 plugs. If there is evidence of coil failure replace it.

Once more I should acknowledge Algorithmus contribution to this thread by the use of his pictures.

So if you have an old VDO W124 ECU with burned out ignition control transistors and you fancy your chances with a soldering iron--------what have got to lose ???????????

I have done this job on a FIAT car and that transistor was a BU931ZT.

In that instance, the ignition amplifier was made by Magnetti Marelli, which indicates wide use of that transistor for this application.

I should have added that I tried to PM Algorithmus about this thread but since he hasn't been active on the forum since 2011 and didn't reply it seemed a shame not to include his pics on a HOW TO before they disappeared into cyberspace forever. Any comments singular omissions errors etc welcome.
If the mods think its worth it they could maybe move it to the HOW TO section

Last edited:
Is there a Part 1 somewhere, got a link?

Dec

I should have added that I tried to PM Algorithmus about this thread but since he hasn't been active on the forum since 2011 and didn't reply it seemed a shame not to include his pics on a HOW TO before they disappeared into cyberspace forever. Any comments singular omissions errors etc welcome.
If the mods think its worth it they could maybe move it to the HOW TO section

I went out with him in his car last year (or was it the previous year?).

He was on about going to BMW car next, same as his mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom