• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I was blind now I can't see. Any Opticians in the house.

As you say progress of sorts. AR coatings are always a good idea, do your existing ones have them? It is almost always noticeable if you try to go without when you're used to them.
Sadly, like most multiples, where they are being made will really want to use their brand of lenses and it isn't always easy to swop brands.
Hopefully it will work out.
David

^^^ - must admit spellcheckers gave a much more thorough eye exam than any previous optician I had been to. Also found a degenerative problem with mbh' s eyes which had to be quickly rectified. (sorry for slight digression)

I took my reactolite specs back after a couple of years because only parts of the lenses were darkening, leaving light patches, the Specsavers lady said I'd worn them too often, in the sun, honestly, you couldn't make it up. :doh:

Reopening this thread because I got my new varifocals this morning...but I'm typing this using my old £10 ready readers from the local pharmacist...I can only see about two words at a time with the Varis...so disappointed.

The far distance is great I can again read number plates but for reading the screen or print media it is awful. When I move my head from side to side the screen goes out of square to each side sort of like a moving parallelogram...is this right?

I have also noticed that I get the best by looking through the very bottom of the lenses...what a strain that turns out to be.

Thoughts anyone?

renault12ts said:
Reopening this thread because I got my new varifocals this morning...but I'm typing this using my old £10 ready readers from the local pharmacist...I can only see about two words at a time with the Varis...so disappointed. The far distance is great I can again read number plates but for reading the screen or print media it is awful. When I move my head from side to side the screen goes out of square to each side sort of like a moving parallelogram...is this right? I have also noticed that I get the best by looking through the very bottom of the lenses...what a strain that turns out to be. Thoughts anyone?

Are you used to wearing varifocals?

If not. Then it is important to remember to move your head and not your eyes (if that makes sense).

They can take some practise to get used to. Be careful heading downstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

First timer Bruce.

I am moving my head when reading and the screen changes shape as I do so. It would be good though if I could actually see more than two words as I try to read. I'll persist over the week end...but come Monday if I haven't improved I'll have to go back.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone to...

I tried varifocals from that well known high street brand about 4 years ago. Couldn't get on with the blurred side vision. They offered about 4 grades of lenses & I probably went with the cheapest or second cheapest. Ended up 2 years ago reverting to distance lenses from them & reading glasses (which I hardly need - only close up drawing work) from an internet brand (glassesdirect.co.uk)
Recent eye test I dared to suggest a contact lens trial knowing they don't do varifocal contact lenses - but they do:doh: It seems they make up one lens for distance & one lens for reading - your brain will compensate..................
They were all over me with enthusiasm(there must be a lot of gold in contact lenses), but it quickly dawned on me that they would not be practical on a building site and there were vision issues.
So at the end of the 2 week trial. I said I didn't want to continue & their enthusiasm convinced me that I needed a distance lens in one eye and nothing in the other.
This was better but still didn't overcome the building site issues. Gave up the trial.
I'm still using the glasses from over 2 years ago as the prescription hasn't changed much but I feel I will end up with varifocals again, probably going for the most expensive lenses to avoid the blurred side vision

That's the thing though...I went with the most expensive varifocals, widest field of view etc and easiest to adapt to...but they are awful...the field of view for reading is so narrow. They are fine for long distance.

Gents, There are the best (from certain well known outlets) and then there are decent lenses. The difference is, well, quite a lot.
A decent varifocal lens should show some edge distortion but really only if you go looking for it. It shouldn't be so obvious you can't live with them.
I think we only take pairs back about 5 times a year for genuine non tolerance and we send out hundreds of pairs.
Sadly a decent set of lenses aren't inexpensive - you are looking at 250-300+ for the lenses - but compare this to 2 pairs of single lenses (and 2 frames) and the difference isn't quite as much as you might think.

Contact lenses - what was described is called monovision. It works well with some and not at all with others.
There are plenty of proper multifocal soft contact lenses out there from all the major manufacturers.

DL, should the shape of my lap top screen change as I move my head from side to side...it's quite disconcerting?

r21, if the progression corridor is narrow then yes it might.
The useful areas are hourglass shaped so the middle distance is the narrowest.
Try moving the screen down and towards you as little (or sitting a little higher) or the opposite - further away and higher.
You may find it more tolerable.
There is always a degree of adaptation but you should do just that, adapt.
I've had people take towards a month to settle properly but they do see some gradual acceptance.

I am still on my first and only varifocal pair, so can't compare it to other pairs, but when I had mine done the advise I was given at the time by the optician proved correct on all counts:

1. The optician said that good quality lenses will provide better field of vision, and less distortion. She recommended Nikon lenses, which were expensive, and indeed I had not have these issues. But as said I only have one pair so not sure how cheaper lenses would have performed. And since then I have learnt that the absolute best lenses are probably made by Zeis (as cammerafodder first pointed-out).

2. She also said that varifocals are a good compromise, but specifically for reading or comouter work a simple pair of reading glasses would do the job much better than varifocals. In fact she clearly said that I will not find it comfortable working on the computer with them.

3. She told me that it may feel odd and I might get headaches at first, but after a couple of weeks they will be fine. Apparently this is because it takes time until you instinctively adjust your head position correctly based on the distance of your focal point.

On another note re the OP, when getting two pairs the deal is often such that the first pair has better lenses than the 'half price' second pair, hence why they might not perform the same.

I had mine done at David Clulow outlet.

I found the varifocals good for driving so distance was good and glancing down at the speedo was good. I just couldn't get on with the over the shoulder vision.

I used to wear varifocal contact lenses until my eyes developed an intolerance to having something on my eyeballs. Shame as they performed faultlessly optically. Especially as I didn't have to crane my neck in order to get the correct part of the lense in position to read clearly things close to, as one does with varifocal glasses that I now wear.
As mentioned, great for driving and fine for reading but very uncomfortable to use for VDU work.. I now have special glasses for use when on the computer but don't need them when using a tablet or smartphone.

I wish I could still wear contact lenses.....

My own experience (on this thread) highlights some of the issues. Some very good advice here along with experiences. I have always gone for the most expensive (Zeiss or Nikon) with varifocals. I was always told that for my sight, then there was no alternative that I would find easy to live with. Field of vision does seem to be the biggest compromise with price along with rapid movement, either side to side, or up and down.

Once you eyes and brain adjust to wearing a correctly manufactured and fitted pair then, as DL says :you have to go looking for the problem. This can take time.

Stepping off a staircase is a real danger when you are not used to these. On more than one occasion I have got that wrong. Field of vision can settle with use. You may find (as I did, that certain outlets are more interested in selling than fitting).

I would try and persevere for a few days. If still as bad? take them back or seek a second opinion.

Getting the glasses to fit/sit correctly is paramount if one is to get the best out of any lens. Correct interpupillary distance and height are critical.

Bruce these new glasses must be ok you are able to see the keyboard to post on here and so can complete your most important function in life.

Thank you. My new glasses have not lived up the standards of my old ones. I am sure that this is down to the standard of the lenses and the amount of re-working that had to be done. In the end I lost the will to keep complaining.

Lesson 1. If you have a good optician (I did) then stick with them. I was swayed by the high street 2 for 1 and ended up with none for none and £400 out of pocket. I have now returned to my old trusty optician with cap firmly in my hand.

My sight is best in glasses also looking through the bottom of the lens, the very edge of it has what I'd explain as 'another vision' where it is almost 20/20, trying to explain this to an optician always fails.

If they could match my entire glasses to whatever effect the bottom lip has, I'd be happy. Even my bad eye is good in the glasses, not so much in the special contacts I have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom