I was sold my car as an AMG but my friend is saying it is not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nina1234

Car
C1800
Hi last year I bought my first mercedes at the time I wasn't aware what AMG was but the salesman said it has a higher performance engine etc so I thought great, however I have now had a disagreement with someone with him saying 'its just a body kit AMG doesn't even make c180s ... I've tried to research but cannot work it out , on my documents it says AMG but he says this still just means a body kit! My Numberplate is EY62 XON if this means anything I've looked online and says AMG sport but he just keeps telling me it's false!? :S I'm a clueless woman! Thanks lol

This is her (doesn't have AMG on the back but does on the alloys inside the footwells etc)

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_150808_931.jpg
    IMG_20190602_150808_931.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 154
As above and discussed on here in length. It isn't an AMG but has AMG bits on it (wheels, kit etc). Similar to BMW M-Sport which has 'M' bits on it but isn't an M3, M3 etc. So, I'm afraid your friend is correct.

Yes that coupe is higher than an AMG because it is an AMG Sport .

Ok thanks how does one realise this in future? As I feel it's a bit sneaky calling it an AMG when it's not? Also the Mercedes salesman telling me it is (lies) not that I'm particularly bothered as it's a nice car but some might be I'd imagine!

Ok thanks how does one realise this in future? As I feel it's a bit sneaky calling it an AMG when it's not? Also the Mercedes salesman telling me it is (lies) not that I'm particularly bothered as it's a nice car but some might be I'd imagine!

Mercedes are continually blurring the line between AMG options, cosmetic bits added to the car, and an AMG version. The fastest Mercedes are AMG the slowest are not and in the middle is where people argue! Normally I would say that if you open the bonnet and there is an AMG plague on the engine with the name of the person who built it then it’s an AMG

AMG's will have an AMG badge on the back and in the engine bay (covers). With exception of the A Class (A45 AMG) they are generally C63/E63 although just to confuse people, there are now C43, E53 too! If in doubt, ask on here as it is full of knowledgeable members. The price is usually a good start - they are quite a bit more expensive than the rest of the range.

Hi,

I wouldn’t worry too much, that is a nice looking car and if you like it even better.
As said above it has the AMG body kit etc but not the engine.

How can you tell, well if you put your foot down in yours, your passenger may comment on how it picks up nicely and how good it goes, if it where an AMG your passenger would grip the seat and swear loudly as it took off down the road.

Enjoy yours and maybe get an AMG, after all you are already caught up in the Mercedes Benz ownership clan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If one really wanted to be pedantic. Any Mercedes Benz car built after 1996 can not be a ‘true’ AMG, this was when AMG sold its last shares to Daimler. Your car is perfectly fine, but it is not an AMG. Even my 2006 C55 AMG built in Bremen with a ‘hand built’ V8 engine could be considered an imposter to the brand. Just enjoy your car and don’t get hung up on the marketing tomfoolery.

The quickest way to discover if a particular car is a true AMG is if you can find it in the following list (and the car is genuinely that model of course and not just badged-up!).

Mercedes-AMG - Wikipedia

If it's not in this list, it either just has AMG options/accessories as said like the bodykit or it's an "AMG Line" trim model which came along after your car. These are not the same thing as a true AMG.

The equivalent of AMG Line in BMWs is M Sport for example where they plaster everything in M badges but the car is not a true M car. They've been doing this for getting on for a good 20 years now though.

If one really wanted to be pedantic. Any Mercedes Benz car built after 1996 can not be a ‘true’ AMG, this was when AMG sold its last shares to Daimler. Your car is perfectly fine, but it is not an AMG. Even my 2006 C55 AMG built in Bremen with a ‘hand built’ V8 engine could be considered an imposter to the brand. Just enjoy your car and don’t get hung up on the marketing tomfoolery.

Probably not what the OP needs tbh. The question was how do I tell. As you know I was at the AMG factory last week. As far as they are concerned it’s “one man one engine”. So as per my previous reply it should be if it has a plaque on the engine.

I thought Mercedes fully took over AMG in 2005.

Instrument cluster is a good tel tale sign. As is engine builder Plauqe under the bonnet.

..at the time I wasn't aware what AMG was but the salesman said it has a higher performance engine etc...

1. As others said, your car has AMG trim level but it's not an AMG car. The AMG version of the 2012 C-Class is called AMG C63. Your's is a C180 with AMG trim level.

2. As a rule of thumb, 'real' AMG cars have a two-digit model designation, e.g. C63, A45, CLS53, etc, while non-AMG cars (with or without AMG-trim level) have a three-digit model designation, e.g. C180, CLS350, S500 etc.

3. The AMG trim level refers to certain visual aspects such as seats, internal trim panels, spoiler kit, and wheels, as well as to some performance components such as suspension and brakes. But the engine is exactly the same as on non-AMG-trim cars - i.e. the AMG trim level does not involve any modifications to the engine (in spite of what the sales person may have told you).

4. AMG cars and AMG-trim-level cars are two separate things and share nothing in common. The AMG-trim parts were designed by the same company who designed the AMG cars, but the parts themselves are not the same. E.g., AMG engineers designed the suspension and brakes for the C63 (the AMG version of the C-Class), and also tweaked the suspension and brakes on your C180 for better handling, but this is not to say that the C63 and C180 share any suspension or brake components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom