Idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I see a signwritten van drive like a ****, 90% of the time I call the company up and report it. They probably do nothing but it makes me feel better!

My grandad had something similar happen to him. Can cut him up and he beeped the horn. Driver of the van went crazy, swerving, throwing things at the car etc.

My grandad reported the driver and the passenger he had in the car. Turns out the driver wasn’t meant to have a passenger (his girlfriend) and that plus his behaviour resulted in him getting the boot. Shame!

People are foolish to behave like that with there employers details on the side or their own business details.

First driving lesson in 1968, driving instructor says to me "look at all the others you can see around you, think "what is the most stupid thing each one could do next, and be prepared for it, 'cos one day one will". Wise words that have served me well for 50 years so far.

Reminds me of my RAF 'familiarisation test/lesson' in Bahrain in about 1970. They’d not long changed from driving on the left to driving on the right, so things could be interesting. The advice I was given was...."if he hesitates, you go, because if you hesitate, he will go". Mind you driving a fairly hefty Land Rover helped a bit as well, no doubt.

Reminds me of my RAF 'familiarisation test/lesson' in Bahrain in about 1970. They’d not long changed from driving on the left to driving on the right, so things could be interesting. The advice I was given was...."if he hesitates, you go, because if you hesitate, he will go". Mind you driving a fairly hefty Land Rover helped a bit as well, no doubt.
So the current trend of buying 6-wheeler G-Wagons in the Gulf is clearly a one-upmanship response to the RAF Landies....?

Elderly driver, I suspect, nowhere urgent to go and in no hurry to get there, can't keep up with modern traffic conditions, most of the time just a touch frightened if he/she's honest. I'd have done exactly what you did; there's no point flashing or hooting.

Either that, or he is driving for economy, or there's a tight bungee cord wrapped around his scrotum and connected to the throttle pedal...
Just like driving in Malvern - Gods waiting room. Geriatric is a state of mind and its similar to marajuana. Things happen in slo mo. They see you coming, and wait, wait, wait, then pull out and proceed to drive at 20, oblivious of the near collision they almost caused. Go and sit in Waitrose car park and watch them playing Dodgems. No spacial awareness or control of the vehicle in parking spaces
Worse at night. Cops should do road blocks with Specsavers to do compulsory cataract eye tests

Just like driving in Malvern - Gods waiting room. Geriatric is a state of mind and its similar to marajuana. Things happen in slo mo. They see you coming, and wait, wait, wait, then pull out and proceed to drive at 20, oblivious of the near collision they almost caused. Go and sit in Waitrose car park and watch them playing Dodgems. No spacial awareness or control of the vehicle in parking spaces
Worse at night. Cops should do road blocks with Specsavers to do compulsory cataract eye tests
Same where I live- it's a given that at least one elderly driver every day will pull out right in front despite there being no traffic behind me. Decision making process clearly erodes as you age. Hope I recognise the potential danger when I'm in that position.

Same where I live- it's a given that at least one elderly driver every day will pull out right in front despite there being no traffic behind me. Decision making process clearly erodes as you age. Hope I recognise the potential danger when I'm in that position.
Im hoping that if you have always been a good driver, you remain a good driver.
Its the Sunday driver types who become a danger with old age

If I see a signwritten van drive like a ****, 90% of the time I call the company up and report it. They probably do nothing but it makes me feel better!

Better still to Name and Shame on Social Media (but only if you have an anonymous account as well as your normal one)

Absolute idiot, pulls out when it’s not safe to do so, and proceeds to drive at 20mph on a 60mph road.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's amazing how less visible silver cars are - almost merging into the colour of the road. Add drivers whose vision is not 20/20, and we become almost invisible (just like bikes can)

My 420d is silver - so I make sure that the DRL are set to come on automatically. Hopefully it keeps me visible...

Better still to Name and Shame on Social Media (but only if you have an anonymous account as well as your normal one)
I never thought of that.

You can drive over chevrons unless outlined by a solid line, I don't think these had a solid outline but look very worn anyway.

Exactly...

I think the caveats are if it is safe to do so and necessary on broken outlines. I imagine at that sort of junction, they will be if you could actually see them.

You could argue both - especially if there was another retard close to you which would have resulted in them shunting you.

It's amazing how less visible silver cars are - almost merging into the colour of the road. Add drivers whose vision is not 20/20, and we become almost invisible (just like bikes can)

My 420d is silver - so I make sure that the DRL are set to come on automatically. Hopefully it keeps me visible...

Only from the front though...

But they are more visible at night. Or at least that's what Peugeot said when they introduced metallic silver on the 504 back in the seventies.

I don't know what the answer is. I'm in my seventies, but still consider my driving good, maybe not as fast as I once was, but I still don't "hang about" my mate up the road is a couple of years younger, but drives like the proverbial "old women" of legend. Maybe a driving test at seventy something.

Age has little to do with it. - I went out with one of our salesmen this week; young(er) lad, I'm probably not too far from twice his age.

He's trying to achieve the highest possible MPG figures so that he can make a profit on his mileage claims, and as a result that diesel golf is hardly ever above ~1500rpm... even when we pulled on to the M6 and could really have done with accelerating to get in front of the arctic (rather than braking hard to go behind it).

Age has little to do with it. - I went out with one of our salesmen this week; young(er) lad, I'm probably not too far from twice his age.

He's trying to achieve the highest possible MPG figures so that he can make a profit on his mileage claims, and as a result that diesel golf is hardly ever above ~1500rpm... even when we pulled on to the M6 and could really have done with accelerating to get in front of the arctic (rather than braking hard to go behind it).

How much mpg does he get?

Decades ago there was a study by someone like Autocar into visibility of different car colours, and the most visible colour was red - which was great, as at the time my Dad had a red Mk1 cortina GT!

How much mpg does he get?
He claims his best yet is 100mpg on the run from Birmingham to Stoke... but that's probably by VW's calculations.

Personally I think it's a recipe for a blocked DPF and running problems down the line; especially if he's putting the cheapest diesel in so make the maximum profit (some £8.00 per claim) on his mileage... but I guess it's also a company car so what does he care if he knackers it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom