Interactive Accident Data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Here the BBC have mapped accident data from 2008, and provided a fairly simple way of looking at some of the analysis behind that data.

The front page also has an interesting write-up on the reduction of road-deaths over the last 10 years.

It makes for sobering thought - most of us on here enjoy driving and would hope never to become (or be invoved in) one of the statistics listed here.

Robert Gifford said:
We no longer live in the 1950s where cars can go where and when they like. We live in the 21st Century where we need to manage the car so that it retains its benefits but we limit the damage it can do to other people.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't like the sound of that...

Interesting, thanks.

Some of the statistics are very suspect e.g.
"There's been a huge decrease in speed this millennium," says Professor Steve Stradling of Napier University.

In 2000, some 67% exceeded 30mph in built-up areas, whereas by 2007, that proportion was down to 48%.
I sincerely doubt that over a 12 month period 52% of all drivers never, ever did 31 mph ... even accidentally. I assume that's based on what people said rather than long-term monitoring of actual speed for a sample population.

The other clear point is that the roads with the highest average speed (motorways) have far and away the lowest fatality rate. So (as we all know) the mantra of "speed kills" is far too simplistic.

Speed does kill. If we were all doing 10mph everywhere, it would be quite difficult to kill anyone...

And how do we compare to the rest of the world?

Over to Wolfram Alpha*

road deaths UK - Wolfram|Alpha

* If you'd heard of WA but didn't "get it", it's brilliant for this kind of search.

"We no longer live in the 1950s where cars can go where and when they like. We live in the 21st Century where we need to manage the car so that it retains its benefits but we limit the damage it can do to other people."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't like the sound of that...

You're not. A typically post-millenium statement that about sums up the way things are being steered, in most aspects of life. Makes me want to puke quite honestly.

Speed does kill. If we were all doing 10mph everywhere, it would be quite difficult to kill anyone...

Perhaps we could do a super-safe 0mph - and become (even more of) a third world country.

A bit of balance and realism is required. We already had it before the political tinkering started.

A friend of a friend was killed near me last year whilst cycling to work. It's was very sobering when I click on his specific accident and read the details. It makes it so much more real than the usual generic annual statistics. I hope this causes some people to change their driving habits.

This is basically the reasoning behind this Govermetns drive to redcue speed limits in urban areas to 20mph......blanket speed limits are not the answer...and this will serve to increase the sacred CO2 emissions so might save lives but will not save the planet!

blanket speed limits are not the answer...and this will serve to increase the sacred CO2 emissions so might save lives but will not save the planet!

Yes it will, because it causes higher fuel consumption - and governments and oil corporations are well aware of this. Anything that stimulates economic activity comes before all else. Safety is the way it's sold to people, and most people are unable/unwilling to think beyond the emotive aspect when it involves the potential injury or death of a loved one or friend.

This understandable human attitude is callously played upon. It's a deliberately generated climate of fear, and "safety" is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom