iPod integration help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storm

I've got (well, am picking up early next week) a 54plate, post facelift CLK and I really want to have the iPod integration kit fitted (I've got the kenwood music keg in my current car and really don't want to leave all of those little mp3s behind.

I've read through a few posts here and if I'm right:
-All post face-lift CLKs have at least Audio 20 installed
-The iPod integration kit is compatible with the Audio 20
-The Audio 20 unit would display MP3 tag information and allow full control via the steering wheel
-If the telephone pre-prep kit isn't fitted, something will need to be enabled by the dealer

My problem is that I've asked 3 dealers for quotes so far and the responses I've had are:
First dealer) It can't be done because the integration kit isn't compatible with the Audio 20
Second dealer) It can't be done because I don't have the telephone kit pre-wiring, so it's not compatible with my vehicle
Third dealer) It can be done, parts: £185, labour £600. (a little excessive even by MB standards).

I'm desperate for help. Can anyone who's had the kit fitted confirm:
-that it works with audio 20
-that the telephone-pre-wiring isn't required, only something enabled by the dealer
-that the hardware costs around £185
-how much they paid to have it fitted and where
-likely cost of MB to enable the unit if I have it fitted by a 3rd party

I'd really appreciate any help here. Being told 3 different things by 3 different dealers is worrying...

:crazy:

Storm said:
I've got (well, am picking up early next week) a 54plate, post facelift CLK and I really want to have the iPod integration kit fitted (I've got the kenwood music keg in my current car and really don't want to leave all of those little mp3s behind.

I've read through a few posts here and if I'm right:
-All post face-lift CLKs have at least Audio 20 installed
-The iPod integration kit is compatible with the Audio 20
-The Audio 20 unit would display MP3 tag information and allow full control via the steering wheel
-If the telephone pre-prep kit isn't fitted, something will need to be enabled by the dealer

My problem is that I've asked 3 dealers for quotes so far and the responses I've had are:
First dealer) It can't be done because the integration kit isn't compatible with the Audio 20
Second dealer) It can't be done because I don't have the telephone kit pre-wiring, so it's not compatible with my vehicle
Third dealer) It can be done, parts: £185, labour £600. (a little excessive even by MB standards).

I'm desperate for help. Can anyone who's had the kit fitted confirm:
-that it works with audio 20
-that the telephone-pre-wiring isn't required, only something enabled by the dealer
-that the hardware costs around £185
-how much they paid to have it fitted and where
-likely cost of MB to enable the unit if I have it fitted by a 3rd party

I'd really appreciate any help here. Being told 3 different things by 3 different dealers is worrying...

:crazy:

Your car is MOST based.

The IPOD kit will work with Audio20. I had one in my wife's B class before I installed COMAND.

Telephone pre-wiring is not required for the IPOD interface to work. However, if you have pre wiring, then the IPOD is controllable from the steering wheel without any additional programming by the dealer. If you dont have pre-wire then you will almost certainly require coding to be performed by the dealer to make use of the steering wheel controls.

You will not see any track/album info on the screen of the audio20 (or comand for that matter). You will, after the programming, see the track/album details in the instrument cluster.

The parts cost about £180 from the dealer and can be fitted in about 1 hour. I've done a couple of them and it is fairly straight forward. Cost for fitting should only be about £100. Programming by the dealer takes 10 minutes so you should only incur a minimal charge.

If you get the parts, I will happily install it for you for £100 if you bring the car to me! You will then just need to get it coded by your local dealer.

I have the ipod interface on my 56 plate 203 C-Coupe

To confirm what alfie has already advised
I have it working with the standard radio/cd (audio 20) along side the existing 6 cd autochanger (press and hold the CDC button to select the aux input rather the CD changer).
My car already had the phone pre-wiring but my understanding is that if the phone pre-wiring is not present it is simply a case of "activating" the phone buttons on the steering wheel as these are used to navigate the ipod menu.
Ipod menus and playing track information is displayed on the instrument cluster.
The hardware (excluding ipod) is around £190 and my dealer quoted me around £500 for the hardware, fitting & coding when I asked for it to be included for free during my price negotiations. Almost a deal breaker but got it for free in the end !

GTEvo said:
I have the ipod interface on my 56 plate 203 C-Coupe

To confirm what alfie has already advised
I have it working with the standard radio/cd (audio 20) along side the existing 6 cd autochanger (press and hold the CDC button to select the aux input rather the CD changer).
My car already had the phone pre-wiring but my understanding is that if the phone pre-wiring is not present it is simply a case of "activating" the phone buttons on the steering wheel as these are used to navigate the ipod menu.
Ipod menus and playing track information is displayed on the instrument cluster.
The hardware (excluding ipod) is around £190 and my dealer quoted me around £500 for the hardware, fitting & coding when I asked for it to be included for free during my price negotiations. Almost a deal breaker but got it for free in the end !

I did exactly the same deal. when I bought my wife's B class we almost agreed a deal then I said 'Fit an IPOD adapter and I'll pay now'. They said yes. ITs worth noting though that to fit it and supply it costs them a whole lot less than they would charge you after the fact!

As said already, the parts cost about £180 and it takes an hour or less to fit. Having done a few installs of these it really is a lot easier than the dealer would have you believe or charge you for!

Thanks for the help guys. I've phone back a couple of the dealers back with the info and they've agreed to fit it for £185 + 1 hours labour (£90+vat).

Surrey isn't exactly local to me Alfie, or I'd certainly take you up on that offer! I'm having a kenwood unit removed out of my Audi tomorrow (ready for ebay) so I'll ask the guy doing that if he'd be able to fit the iPod integration kit.

Thanks again, this is a most helpful forum :)

Storm said:
Thanks for the help guys. I've phone back a couple of the dealers back with the info and they've agreed to fit it for £185 + 1 hours labour (£90+vat).

Surrey isn't exactly local to me Alfie, or I'd certainly take you up on that offer! I'm having a kenwood unit removed out of my Audi tomorrow (ready for ebay) so I'll ask the guy doing that if he'd be able to fit the iPod integration kit.

Thanks again, this is a most helpful forum :)

Sounds like you have a result! Well done.

Does anyone have the MB part number for this Ipod kit please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom