iPod/iTunes slightly stuffed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
aaaaaaaaaaaaargh - would love to post another word here that describes my frustration - but suffice to say that there is a 6 letter word ending in "ed" that describes my iPod/iTunes atm :( :mad: :crazy:

Tried installing the new iPod updater s/ware that gives the "shuffle" functionality to standard iPod. Now my iPod has been wiped clean, iTunes will not work saying the software required for communicating with the iPod is not installed correctly, reinstall iTunes....

Have tried that with the repair function, without doing a full install, and have reinstalled the iPod s/ware and nothing works.

Cannot follow the updater install instructions as if I manage to get teh updater to open - it says there's an error and will only allow shutdown.

Anybody else had this and found a way out? iPod support seems very dodgy just showing there is a prob.

IF I uninstall iTunes - will I lose all my music? I think that's the only way but don't want to lose my files - guess I could copy them somewhere else and start from scratch.

Be warned anyone trying this update - it looks like it's a known prob with XP and especially SP2(which I don't have)

Pammy, all of the songs should be intact on your hard disk. Just go to the directory that is currently configured for storing music.

Usually c:\documents and settings\[user name]\my documents\my music\itunes (or something similar).

If you've got the room, make a copy of this directory somewhere else and you should be ok. Only problem is if you've previously configured the software NOT to copy the files into the library upon import.

pammy said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaargh - would love to post another word here that describes my frustration - but suffice to say that there is a 6 letter word ending in "ed" that describes my iPod/iTunes atm :( :mad: :crazy:

Tried installing the new iPod updater s/ware that gives the "shuffle" functionality to standard iPod. Now my iPod has been wiped clean, iTunes will not work saying the software required for communicating with the iPod is not installed correctly, reinstall iTunes....

Have tried that with the repair function, without doing a full install, and have reinstalled the iPod s/ware and nothing works.

Cannot follow the updater install instructions as if I manage to get teh updater to open - it says there's an error and will only allow shutdown.

Anybody else had this and found a way out? iPod support seems very dodgy just showing there is a prob.

IF I uninstall iTunes - will I lose all my music? I think that's the only way but don't want to lose my files - guess I could copy them somewhere else and start from scratch.

Be warned anyone trying this update - it looks like it's a known prob with XP and especially SP2(which I don't have)

first of all are you using the Mac or PC version if the Mac one change it to PC before you go any further!

if you remove Itunes it will just wipe the Database or library out it will leave your music in place :D

But you could be free from ITunes for ever :D A quick explanation...
The ipod works by renaming the songs to a numerical number. It then adds that number to a database and puts the songs name in the database so that the player can locate the track. This is why you need Itunes to put tracks on and off the pod (it does the update of the DB for you)...

HOWEVER :D there is a program called ephpod that will also do this without all the crap that Itunes does for you like trying to re-arange your music collection :) It can also do searches for orphan tracks on the ipod and database for you...

http://www.ephpod.com/

Thanks guys - have managed to recover the situation a little bit. Did a full copy of my iTunes library uninstalled then reinstalled. Still updated to 4.7 but at least it's connecting to the iPod and has returned all the tracks so iPod is as was. Still can't use the updater 2005-01-11. Ephpod also won't work - wants my iPod configured in a way that it doesn't want to do - so I've given up on that too.

So a semi happy bunny in that iPod is back up and working again - phew!! :D

thanks for your help ;)

I'm puzzled, the 3G iPod that I have has always had the shuffle functionality and I'm sure I read that you bought yours more recently than I did

Aswall said:
I'm puzzled, the 3G iPod that I have has always had the shuffle functionality and I'm sure I read that you bought yours more recently than I did

likewise .... didn't even know there was an update out there !!

S.

sym said:
likewise .... didn't even know there was an update out there !!

S.

I got an update on mine when I last synched it, about 3 weeks ago, but couldn't find any changes afterwards so assumed it was just a bug fix :confused:

I have since found shuffle buried deep in one of the menu's, and it wasn't there before - honest guv - but the new updater add's shuffle functionality along the lines of the new iPod Shuffle :crazy:

If you go to the Apple site and find the firmware downloads - it's in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom