Is it not the done thing to pimp an R170?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was worth more than a grand? :p

Ah right, so a ripspeed cone air filter really does add value. Cheers. :thumb:

Not quite ripspeed, i think it was K&N (the same filters I have in my CL55 AMG). But yes this stuf appeals to thousands of people out there, not my cup of tea now but as a 19/20 year old I loved it! I sold that car for almost £4k and didn't even have to try.

Oh yea I should add that I run spacers on my CL, suspension wise in over 100k miles that I have done in the car and ran spacers, I have had to replace the front ball joints, front track rod ends and the rear camber arms, that's it!

Nothing at all wrong with modifying a car, it's your car, do whatever you want with it!

So you agree with everything I've said then...

Not really... I sold the civic to someone who id guess was in his 30s!!!

The list you made is funny because half of the things on it are what car manufacturers will actually offer on a new car now! Some people can't afford the newest model and modify the ones they can get but what is actually wrong with that?

Can I afford the new S63 AMG coupe... No! Has me putting spacers a performance air filter and putting a secondary cat/resonator delete on my CL devalued it? I would say no as there is a market of people who would rather the car like that... It doesn't have to goto brabus etc. to be modified! If anything, the brabus/lorinser ones look hideous, seriously hideous!

Someone with better taste than you, clearly. :p
I wasn't referring to you......comprehension fail, besides when I want your opinion, I'll mail it to you !
You're clearly the guy who's only just slipped on his proper car slippers, and you're asking how you stick a star to the bonnet (it's got one in the grille, please don't add another).
Ahhh...you've been following my posts, I knew you cared...just as an FYI, I wasn't going to have 2x, a blank grille, and a bonnet star and if I had wanted to 'stick' it to the bonnet, I'd have used 3M ds tape, would've been my preference, as for 'proper cars'. that's a road well-travelled!
You've the vocabulary of someone with better taste than you,
How would you know, let me guess, you graduated from what was it...Sunday school, dinner school, ?
Remember whilst you have access to Google, no need to feel lost when confronted with polysyllabism, there's no shame in it.
maybe you should give it back before you ruin your CLS?
Ruin it, I think not, but if I do, it's mine to ruin, now please excuse me whilst I browse Google, Bing, Yahoo looking for an example of bewinged copulation to attach to your opinion, I don't think I'll find one regardless of how many times you click your ruby-red chintzy heels and wish it so Dot !!!

Last edited:
OOOOOH, get her....

In fairness, though, I think it would be difficult to ruin the appearance of a first-generation CLS (but I'm not saying it couldn't be done). The styling is just so RIGHT. One of the best-looking cars MB have ever made, in my opinion.

Last edited:
OOOOOH, get her....
I'd wager that you're absolutely fluent in Polari....!!!

However, I'll give you credit where it's due, re: your perception of the CLS, it is one of the finest designs from the pen of Michael Fink and will no doubt be a future classic !

Last edited:
This is very much an old vs young debate.
Older guys don't have time or vision (should've gone to spec savers) to tinker/research on trivial things like exhausts for BHP gains, or remapping and such so don't, they need the energy for other things like maintaining their breathing and controlling incontinence... they also have earned a living, climbed the job ladder and can afford nice flash cars made from the factory.

Younger guys due to lack of money can't afford a nice spec'd car with the 9'' AMG Alloys on, so they try to make whatever they have better, sometimes it works, sometimes it looks hideous.

When I was younger I was guilty of pimping cars which when I look back on now I cringe.. yet at the time I loved the result.
How age changes your perspective.... even now I prefer a nice factory car to a modded one.... although I have added mud flaps and larger alloys to my own W245... old habits die hard but I would never criticise anyone messing with their own car, just don't expect me to buy it is all.

Older guys don't have time or vision
Older guys have had the vision when they were younger, that vision is not the sole preserve of 'young' guys, before electronics ruled the roost, my own history was developed over a period when we didn't have a nanny state armed with the latest technology to enforce draconian measures and swell their coffers and when cars were easier to mod and work on.

I cut my teeth on a variety of 'performance' cars from Renault Maxi 5, Fiat Strada Abarth 130 TC, RS500 /RS200 and various saloons such as 4wd Audi / Integrale thru' BMW 850...635.. / Honda Legends et al.

My current Merc suits me perfectly, I spend 6-7 months of the year at my home in Thailand where I drive a Mitsy L200, when in the UK I do approximately 1500 m.p.a, therefore fiscal extravagance on a new car is pointless, especially when there are so many bargains available on higher spec luxury cars.(I'm currently looking at a low mileage black Bentley Continental simply because it's such a bargain).

I'm no longer able to extract the performance that I was capable of when younger, I drive within the limits of my vision and reaction abilities, so, yes you're right older guys have no need of the 'vision' of what you speak, we've scratched that itch, however, I'll take some more 'time'.

Lastly, remember the golden rule, ......never slip your Granny the tongue when kissing her goodbye, the family take a dim view of that!

I'm with you, I-Conica. When it comes to cheap cars, though, there seem to be a lot more chavs and Barries around than people with taste...

Wow...aren't you just chock full of garrulous blateration....please excuse me whilst I tug my forelock and doff my cap old boy.....and ask the perrenial question.."who died and went to heaven and nominated you as the prima determinatus and arbiter of 'taste'.." ?

I think that was a fair comment E55BOF made.

I do think that is the case, he is not saying "...all cheap cars are bought by Chavs and Barries" simply more of the cars at the cheaper end of the market seem to be modified badly than well.

But then would you bother with a £2k body kit, £1500 worth of paint and £4000 on wheels to go onto a £1000 car?
Of course not, you would buy some body kit from eBay for £500 painted, and some wheels for £500.
What about some nice Brabus mats and carbon interior trim for £2k? No, it woll be some aluminium looking wrap and some "Sport" matts for £50.

There are exceptions of course, just more of the £1000 cars don't get the expensive bits added.

This is very much an old vs young debate.

I disagree.

It is a taste vs no taste debate.

If I see a car modified in a way I like I think it is tastefully done, if I see a car modified in a style I don't like I think it is chavvy and vulgar. :D

I think that was a fair comment E55BOF made.
If you think generalisations are fair, look at the other side of the coin, those 'chavs' etc etc might look at Merc owners and think 'elitist snobby capitalist conformists'.

But then would you bother with a £2k body kit, £1500 worth of paint and £4000 on wheels to go onto a £1000 car?
Of course not, you would buy some body kit from eBay for £500 painted, and some wheels for £500.
What about some nice Brabus mats and carbon interior trim for £2k? No, it woll be some aluminium looking wrap and some "Sport" matts for £50.

It takes experience and a slow realisation that the law of diminishing returns enters the fray quite quickly when there's an imbalance between initial investment and the fulfilment of desire.....it applies here also...a percentage of members spend huge amounts of money converting their depreciating asset into expressions of desire, engine swaps, new intake manifolds, upgraded suspension, to what purpose, racing on the Queen's Highway, whilst restricted to a 70mph max, re-sprays etc etc, I can understand, there's a desire to make your car look different, just as you buy clothes shoes etc etc, however if it's a need for speed, invest in a Caterham or X-Bow or better still rent a track day, much cheaper in the long run and just as much fun.

But if it floats your boat, knock yourself out.
It is a taste vs no taste debate.
That's a crock of doggy doo-doo, who decides what is tasteful, YOU, I don't think so, I didn't get the e-mail announcing your appointment!

Wow TKvS, your so money super market wealthy, lends a fiver........lol

Wealth is a relative term, much like intelligence, pity they don't have an 'IQ Supermarket' website....think of the deal YOU could get !
BTW.....look for a website that does night-classes in grammar, it's 'you're'......!

Here we go again. What a tension in this thread!

Lighten up guys. Life's too short to be bickering like this.

Ant. :thumb:

...look for a website that does night-classes in grammar, it's 'you're'......!

I thought this was a car forum, not a grammar lesson. :dk:

I'm sure you understood what Brian's light hearted post meant.

Your behaviour seems very petulant. Lighten up, you may enjoy your time on the site a little more. :D

'Tension'...where's the tension 'LMAO' ?

I'm sure you understood what Brian's light hearted post meant.
Ohh...I understood alright...I'm not new to the planet nor forums:cool:

Lighten up, you may enjoy your time on the site a little more
I'm enjoyig my time immensely, thanks for your advice and concern:)

If you knew Brian you'd have realised he's one of the nicest, happy-go-lucky members here. He was just trying to inject a little humour into a thread that was getting far to serious.

Just an observation

Ant.

OK....on that note and in light of your insightful character reference, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to Brian, perhaps I may have misunderstood his wit.

My apologies Brian.

Now, how about a group hug and a few choruses of Kum-bay-yah....I'll be right back after I've changed my kaftan :)

Last edited:
If that's you in your avatar then I'll pass on the group hug thing. :D

However I'm MORE than happy to partake in a lil bit of a sing song. :bannana:

Ant. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom