Is it not the done thing to pimp an R170?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So,,how about those modded R170's?

I agree with a few posts above. If it's your car, your passion and obsession. Do as you wish with it. If you like it that's all that matters.

(Just don't expect everyone else to have the same love for the changes)

Ant.

"Pimped" R170's look $hite no 2 ways about it, every single aftermarket kit looks rubbish

BUT !!! A nice 230 with a SLK32 Kit, subtle boot lip spoiler and a reasonable set of period correct 17's / 18's does look nice. There is no reason to super lower a SLK as they are a small low to the ground car. Id have a AMG kitted one even with the hairdresser moniker !

Wow...aren't you just chock full of garrulous blateration....please excuse me whilst I tug my forelock and doff my cap old boy.....and ask the perrenial question.."who died and went to heaven and nominated you as the prima determinatus and arbiter of 'taste'.." ?

And by the bye, should that not be 'primus determinatus', or perhaps 'prima determinata' if the subject is female? I'm sure it would have been when I studied Latin, many years ago.

And also by the bye, it's 'perennial', not 'perrenial'. I won't bother to correct your punctuation or grammar; there's not time...

Google, Yahoo et al are no substitute for education...

Last edited:
If you think generalisations are fair, look at the other side of the coin, those 'chavs' etc etc might look at Merc owners and think 'elitist snobby capitalist conformists'.

Get off your high horse, there is a massive difference between young lads that do things like this...

800px-Chav_car.jpg

........and those that put some wheels on their cars and maybe a body kit...

Mercedes-Benz-SLK-32-AMG-R170-Lumma-Tuning-1.jpg

Unfortunately it is more of the former I am seeing in the UK, same with many older cars in the UK.

That's a crock of doggy doo-doo, who decides what is tasteful, YOU, I don't think so, I didn't get the e-mail announcing your appointment!

That was exactly my point. :rolleyes:

And by the bye, should that not be 'primus determinatus', or perhaps 'prima determinata' if the subject is female? I'm sure it would have been when I studied Latin, many years ago
I'm unsure of where you studied Latin, perhaps at Hogwarts, wherever,, I'd request a return of fees.

My comment was clear...., prima being the noun (first)and the second declension of determinatus being nominative (Masculine: designated).

Just as an FYI, Primus is a stove brand ;)

As for perennial, I tend to make the same error with bizarre , bizzare, but never bazaar, I'll keep you around to correct me when I have a 'fridge moment':thumb:

Last edited:
I'm unsure of where you studied Latin, perhaps at Hogwarts, wherever,, I'd request a return of fees.

My comment was clear...., prima being the noun (first)and the second declension of determinatus being nominative (Masculine: designated).

Just as an FYI, Primus is a stove brand ;)

As for perennial, I tend to make the same error with bizarre , bizzare, but never bazaar, I'll keep you around to correct me when I have a 'fridge moment':thumb:

Well, it's dog-Latin at best, and actually, 'prima' is a feminine adjectival form, or (in this construction, if you are determined to keep 'determinatus') I suppose it could be an adverb. What it is not is a noun.

You probably think 'primus inter pares' means 'a stove in Paris', then...

Judging by your posts, you must have an awful lot of fridges in your kitchen...

Top Tip: Be careful who you try to bite - some of us have bigger teeth than you. :thumb:

Last edited:
When did MBclub become the crap side of Pistonheads?

You generally find a better, or at least better-educated, class of repartee on MBClub...

Top Tip: Be careful who you try to bite - some of us have bigger teeth than you.
I'll take that tip, given that you believe you're tough and ruthless, whereas I believe you're simply rough and toothless.:thumb:

You probably think 'primus inter pares' means 'a stove in Paris',
It could actually be a 'stove in Paris'....I'm sure there must be at least one example in some of the small quincaillerie in the Latin Quarter...but I'm sure you know that already or at least will claim you do:D

Last edited:
And now the good news England beat Johnny Foreigner, and won the Grand Slam. YES!!

Strange analogy, but a friend got on a bus with a bunch of school kids, who were doing what kids do, being noisy, playing music etc, so he told them to turn it down, he was trying to sleep! A tad hypocritical as he was much worse growing up.

As we get older, we seem to forget what we were like as kids, and take an overly critical view of (young) people who follow suit. Pimping cars is a rite of passage, it was almost unheard of if you didn't have a Ripspeed loyalty card. I don't regret any of my car faux pas, my friends and I regularly embarrass each other with pictures of dodgy cars we drove of dubious taste, Carlos Fandango wheels, 3-spoke alloys, scaffolding pole sized exhaust tips, the transit van with colour coded wheel trims and an 18" guitar monitor hooked up in the back :D

I think there is a place for the low earning barry boys and the well heeled who can afford to pay someone else to pimp their cars for them.

Last edited:
Skill and taste are both learning curves. One in a couple of hundred modified cars looks better than the factory job and it is almost certainly the work of an older pair of hands. Some of the Barryboy cars are fast and well engineered though and these people will be the designers of the cars we will be driving in ten years' time. With cars like the DS3 (Which may be a good car, I don't know,) being an object lesson in misapplied decoration and some of the latest Mercedes' being little better, I look forward to seeing the cleaned up style that many of today's customs have evolved.
(And don't get me started on the pastiche that is an Aston or F-Type.)

Skill and taste are both learning curves. Some of the Barryboy cars are fast and well engineered though and these people will be the designers of the cars we will be driving in ten years' time. I look forward to seeing the cleaned up style that many of today's customs have evolved

Spot on.

Todays BarryBoy, tomorrow's Khan. Anyone seen Supercar Megabuild?

Spot on.

Todays BarryBoy, tomorrow's Khan. Anyone seen Supercar Megabuild?

But many would argue that Kahn is the ultimate in bad taste.

As I said earlier.....

If I see a car modified in a way I like I think it is tastefully done, if I see a car modified in a style I don't like I think it is chavvy and vulgar. :D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no point getting upset if someone else thinks it looks tat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom