• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

is this real sl60 and hat do people think of price for its present condition

Multiple faults, large chunk of missing service history, poor cosmetic condition. The price to me would be the secondary issue - its a money pit waiting for the next victim to come along.

Multiple faults, large chunk of missing service history, poor cosmetic condition. The price to me would be the secondary issue - its a money pit waiting for the next victim to come along.

Agree with this, there is too much missing history something better will come along.

"It has in the region of 500bhp."

errr, no, it doesn't.

any been to see it is a real sl60 does not look it for me with duck tail etc

Agree with the comments made so far. Also the wheels are replicas ...

I thought that they had a plaque on the centre console designating which number out of 50 it was?

Hmm, it does seem like a money pit waiting to happen.

Massive gaps in history and apparently used very little, in the last 4 years. No servicing in the last 4 years?

God knows how old the brake fluid is. Best case the oil is only 4k old and properly heat cycled, worst case is that its had short runs and acidic oil has been sat there for the last 4 years.

Could be a bargain or a money pit but probably be hard to resell due to the gap in history.

Out of curiosity how does an SL 60 with the 4 speed box drive compared to the 5 speed sl 500 both R129s.

I recently realised that having a motorbike has ruined my sense of what fast acceleration is. I tried out 944 S2s before buying the R129 both of which i didnt find quick. I have recntly been on a Palmer sports track day and wasnt blown away by the acceleration of either the atom or the single seater. Though the handling and grip were amazing

That definitely doesn't look like a real AMG at all!

If he/she does have the original invoice for £100k, it may well be a genuine SL60.

However, for the air-conditioning "may just need re gassing" I suspect one should read "I spent a few quid getting it regassed, but found out is was something much more complicated/expensive than that". In a similar vein, I don't believe he/she would not have made some effort to cure the "slight misfire", and presumably found that actually it was emphatically not just the HT leads.

This, together with the lack of service history as others have said, makes me come down strongly in favour of the money pit theory too.

No plaques were ever put on 60's afaiaa. Were panny roofs standard in 95, he just refers to a hard top. Side skirt looks different to my '97. Generally the car looks very tired and the bolster wear seems heavy for the mileage.

Number plate typed into several online parts suppliers, it comes back as an SL60. As above tho, it looks like a lot of dosh needed to get it to where it should be.

Since you have one I will take your word for it Ian.

I have only seen one in the flesh which may or may not have been genuine.

It had a little AMG plaque stating whatever number out of 50 it was, it was an earlier example if this makes any difference.

From the interweb

"in 1995 the interior was redesigned with rounder door trims, side airbags, ESP and the panoramic hardtop option was introduced"

Anyway seems that it is genuine but likely a money pit.

If it is an SL60 as the DVLA evidence suggests, it looks like they've just ordered the engine work from AMG onto a pre-facelift SL500. There's none of the cosmetic bits fitted, the wheels should be 17s, no 180mph speedo.

Seems fairly rough though - definite lack of care and attention shown. Probably needs new leads, dizzie caps, rotor arms and coils (or a selection thereof), the aircon will likely be a new condensor (£400 job at least) and that's just the bits we know about. It may also need a new engine loom if that's not already been done (£700+)

Last edited:
As stated the wheels are replicas and original split rims for the R129 are crazy money.
The mileage could well be right (seats don't last well in early 129s) and the misfire could be simple (the 6.0 engine has to use different plugs to the 5.0).
Aircon will likely be expensive to fix.

All that said though, the SL60 is a great Q-car and the start price is fair, I'd say.

This car has been for sale by this seller several times before, the last being a couple of years ago if memory serves. I believe some of the early SL60's didn't have body kits although it would be much more desirable if it did have the correct wheels and kit.

I believe some of the early SL60's didn't have body kits although it would be much more desirable if it did have the correct wheels and kit.

I agree about the body kit. Not so sure about the wheels. Maybe it's something that "collectors" like. I for one would have them off in double quick time. I just do not like them, and they must be a right PITA to clean. I have AMG IV's and I must say I think they look a lot better that the originals. Proof below :D:D:D

Attachments

• 60 1.jpg
    60 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 39
I agree about the body kit. Not so sure about the wheels. Maybe it's something that "collectors" like. I for one would have them off in double quick time. I just do not like them, and they must be a right PITA to clean. I have AMG IV's and I must say I think they look a lot better that the originals. Proof below :D:D:D

I think your wheels are nice, probably much nicer wheels as wheels in their own right, but they are not period and make the car look younger that it is the 2 piece ones as standard and 3 piece ones are very 80s/90s and add to that solid out of granite look.

Just bought a jacobean hall needs loads of work doing to it. The windows will need doing and as new wood windows are nicer in all aspects i could install them, if i installed them over mullion ones in there it would take away from the overal look. I cant anyways as its grade 2 listed but that is my point.

On a side note, imagine a law being put in like houses where cars became listed lol. You couldnt change them without consent i wonder if that would be a good or a bad thing overall.

I'm pretty much in agreement with sympathetic restoration of buildings, although some of the regulations are positively perverse. I recall a case where someone had to replace nasty UPVC windows in an 18th Century house as the nasty window had been installed prior to listing :eek::eek:

That said, whilst I understand the attempted corollary, I don't buy it :dk: :D :D

My wheels are best and that's that :ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom