James May Cars of the People.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hasn't this been screened before? In three episodes IIRC and featuring the Fiat 124 which became the Lada?

Blow! Missed it!

I guess it will be on BBC player?

Worth watching.

A little drawn out in places, which I won't elaborate on for the benefit of the people who haven't seen it yet, but mostly a good programme, with James May proving yet again that he is well up there with the top presenters.

Also liked the subtle reference to a certain car programme. :D

Definitely worth a watch. The section at around 27 minutes with the 3 American and 3 Japanese guys in their corresponding cars was unfortunately--- to coin a phrase "car crash television" which a bit of judicious editing on the Japanese section would have been perfectly acceptable but appeared to pander to common practice of television production companies wishing to include a bit of " the making of " tv reality in their programmes which I find distracting.

Definitely worth a watch. The section at around 27 minutes with the 3 American and 3 Japanese guys in their corresponding cars was unfortunately--- to coin a phrase "car crash television" which a bit of judicious editing on the Japanese section would have been perfectly acceptable but appeared to pander to common practice of television production companies wishing to include a bit of " the making of " tv reality in their programmes which I find distracting.

I enjoyed both the Japanese and American car scenes, it truly shows how different cultures / lifestyles play out over the years, the Japanese looked far healthier, gracious and honourable. Americans were all gents too, but that Toyota, looked lovely both inside and out.

The Allegro concept, what a pity.

Sent from my iPhone

I liked it, entertaining TV. Anyone think the Toyota guys must have really young when they engineered the Celica, what 45 years ago?

Footnote: I was glad he didn't give useless SAIC/MG any airtime despite the Longbridge filming with Harris Mann.

The programme revolved around a point I've been aware of for quite a while now - that the countries that have prospered post WW2 are those that didn't pour their resources into arms manufacturing. Look at us now - selling arms to despotic monarchies such as Saudi is the extent of our exports.
Begs the question where else are resources squandered? If a fraction of what is devoted attempting to cure male baldness went into cancer research we might have a cure by now, Baldness didn't kill my father...

An excellent programme - made even better by playing John Hiatt's "Have a little faith in me" whist surveying the ruins of the old Pontiac factory.

My only disappointment was no reference to no mention of Mercedes.

I really enjoyed it and looking forward to the other two parts

Am I the only person who didn't enjoy it and won't be watching the next episodes.
I don't mind James May but as for his two mates on Top Gear, I can't stand them.
The best bit was when Damon Hill showed us just how good a driver James is.

Am I the only person who didn't enjoy it and won't be watching the next episodes.
I don't mind James May but as for his two mates on Top Gear, I can't stand them.
The best bit was when Damon Hill showed us just how good a driver James is.

yes

Sent from my iPhone

I quite enjoyed it

Just watched it on BBC iPlayer and very much enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom