Just installed reversing camera (wireless)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
richard said:
NTG2.5 COMAND (not Audio 20) has green fakra for reversing camera, and also 1 extra video-aux input (on the 18 way connector) for Media Interface Video, Video AUX, or TV video feed. These features need Star Diagnosis to enable. Camera needs SCN coding. If you just have AUX it can be made into a video AUX just using one of the configuration options on Star Diagnosis. If you have Media interface you just use the video-aux cable that plugs into the MI socket.

In the new A / B class, there is an Audio-20 also that supports Reversing camera, however it looks like it is normally only fitted when you have reversing camera - the default hardware is missing the video in.

R

Hi Richard

Slightly going off topic but I wanted to ask you if knew anything about a firmware update for the NTG 4.5?
I noticed that the newer W204 AMG sport plus's have an updated menu display, can all NTG 4.5's be updated to include this newer menu display?

Cheers

Its comand online NTG4.5.It already has video in for camera . I just had to enable it in the hidden menu. Theres loads of guides to do it all. If you have any questions fire away.

How did you get to the hidden menu or was it via a Star computer?

I asked in my dealer about adding a reversing camera to my B Class 2012. I should have specified it originally, as I cannot now add it with my Audio 20.

Boo hoo

P.

I would like a reversing camera on my CLS.

However, the generation of Comand fitted dictates the extras that can be added, it seems I have the NGT1 on my 2007 CLS and the text does not mention a video input, am I correct to assume that a reversing camera cannot be connected?

Just found this website ......

http://www.mercupgrades.com/comand+++all+about+the+different+mercedes+comand+systems-article-54.html

and this extract seems to indicate that my car MY2007 Comand, will have NTG1 ..

The NTG1 was the first DVD based system, and thus the map disk carries a whole region (for instance Europe) on a single DVD. This makes life simpler, but the disks are about twice the cost of purchasing a single country DX disk for the COMAND 2 systems.
The MOST system (and thus the NTG1 system consisted of 3 seperate devices, the AGW (Audio Gateway), the head unit (COMAND) and the navigation processor. The AGW contains the FM/AM tuner(s), the amplifer, the MOST bus master controller and the diagnostic gateway for diagnosis and configuration.
The telephone system. voice recogntiion, CD changer, Harmon Karden premium sound system and TV tuners also connect to the MOST bus to route audio in/out of the system. In the case of the HK sound system, the HK amplifer contains the AGW and replaces the standard AGW.
The navigation processor is always in the boot (trunk) of the car, and the AGW is also often hidden in the boot of the car or under passenger feet in the SLK.
NTG1 was fitted up until Model Year 2009 in the W220 S, W215 CL, R230 SL, W211 E, W219 CLS, R171 SLK vehicles.
The NTG1 head unit (COMAND) can play DVD and MP3 loaded CD/DVDs also.
Most parts of the NTG1 system are made by Becker (for European vehicles). However, in the S/CL/SLK/SL it is made by Siemens (and North American systems are made by Siemens).
The W211 E, W219 CLS, R171 SLK have auxilary audio inputs but the W220 S, W215 CL, R30 SL do not and thus the Mercedes iPod interface will not work in the S/CL/SL.
The NTG1 uses proprietary map disks, which although the maps are made by Teleatas and Navteq have to be supplied via Mercedes benz. Mercedes use a coloured flash on their map disk packaging, NTG1 disks have a Green stripe. Currently the map disks only support 5 digit post codes in the UK.

Fitting seems like a DIY job and the hardware is inexpensive, but no good if it cannot be connected.
Thanks in advance if you can give me a definitive answer.

For NTG1 you need to pull the unit out and see if it is a video capable unit, if it is it will have a green fakra video input. Mostly cars with the optional tv tuner only had video capable units.

http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+APS+FAQ-faq-10.html#10

Guide on how to remove the unit also on mercupgrades.com

Last edited:
As there is no write up yet I am after some help, does the cameras connect to the Fakra E with a DVB T Female? on the NTG4. When you buy these reversing camera do the have the connections to fit the female connection. Thanks

Reversing cameras have a RCA plug. Buy a fakra to rca adapter, available on ebay.

Yes they are fine.

can you pls inform as to where you got the 2 socket fakra cable, I have a 2012 ntg4.5 with the 2 brown input connection on it and I tried enabling the camera with a single fakra , but that dd not work

thanks a lot

He didnt get a 2 socket fakra cable, read post #3.

sorry but looking at the posted picture, it sure looks like a 2 input fakra with one of the cables removed

Would these 2 items on ebay do the job

http://bit.ly/1ac9qN5

http://bit.ly/1ac9Ra2

Not looked a great deal into it yet but from what I've read elsewhere there is a 2 socket green fakra connection at the back of the 4.5 unit, you only want to connect a single fakra cable to one part of the socket, this being the one nearest the brown connection, might be totally wrong

image-1479042335.jpg

Hi I am also looking for a camera for my cl500 but is this any good for mine (2000) I think I read is from 2007 onwards just checking guys incase it still ok Thanks :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

did the write up ever get completed?

Seems to have died a death, or his car burst into flames :crazy:

Anyhoo, raising this from the depths again I seem to have the reverse camera "signals" all enabled on my new ML as when I put it into reverse I get a blank screen but with guide lines overlaid and th message "check your surroundings" (or similar), but I have no reverse camera installed, so can I just use one of the radio transmitter cameras and a reciever at the command end and pulg it in? I have the full fat Command fitted.

Hi I've been reading the forums on fitting a reverse camera and I think I know where I'm going with it. I've ordered the parts from EBay and I understand that the Fakra may need modifying so that it can fit into the double connector on the back of the ntg4.5 BUT can someone just confirm that it's one of the green double inputs that I need to connect to and not the single green input. Thanks

Just subscribing really.

This is all pretty confusing, ebayers sell kits but it is not clear if a fakra lead is needed too.

And it is not clear if this can be enabled from the eng menu or if you must be gouged by a dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom