Key Reprogramming- What's The Real Answer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicensleazy

Car
1998 CLK230
I know there's a few threads on key reprogramming but it seems that there's quite a lot of conflicting advice regarding the issue.

I ask because I've recently bought a 1998 CLK230 W208 which only has the one key, its the 3 button type.

Now I know some will say you should never buy a Merc without 2 keys but hey I have bought it, all the paperwork is spot on full service history, HPI'd, DVLA checked so I've no worries there.

Back to the key issue. I'm certainly not up to parting with £200 to a MB dealer so is it possible to have a second hand key, as you see for sale on ebay for instance, reprogrammed or is this just an urban myth and MB have got me by the short and curlies??

Welcome to the Forums.

Sadly, the answer is "short and curlies"

Well put it this way - it was obviously programmed somehow in the first place, it's not as if MB have a magical plant that grows a key for your car (though I wish it would :) ).

Whether the programming is an embedded (i.e. non changeable) or eeprom based (i.e. reprogrammable) process, I do not know, and MB certainly seem to do a good job of hiding it.

Hi N'n'S,

Been a load of threads on the key issue, the end result really is dont bother with the e-bay items as they just wont work.

The guts of the old style keys dont fit into the chromed up new ones.

The only way is MB for another key or to buy key insurance for damage or loss.

No good news on that point Im afraid!

Everybody will tell you it can't be done but in reality it can see HERE The problem is it is very time consuming and for what you pay to have a used key re programmed it is only about £30 cheaper than buying a new one, plus the fact the guy doing the programming has all your details so nothing stopping him doing a second key and your lovely motor then disappears.

There's a guy in Derby that does them and last time I enquired he was charging £150

If the only key you have left is the original larger black triangle key, then order a new one from Mercedes ASAP. Reason being they can only be used 250,000 times then they will die :( then your car will be stranded.
Being your car is 13 years old, it could die anytime soon :doh:

If the only key you have left is the original larger black triangle key, then order a new one from Mercedes ASAP. Reason being they can only be used 250,000 times then they will die :( then your car will be stranded.

Is that exactly 250,000...or is there some latitude either way? Who does the counting?

So on average then they key will last 171 years which i think will be slightly longer than the car or owner :dk:

Well, you'd have to be using the key 52 times a day, every day for 13 years to reach 250,000. If on the other hand you use it only 10 times a day, I suspect the key will die for other reasons long before you hit 66 years of use.

I missed out leap years.

I see you're in Sheffield. Don't make the mistake that I did and go to the MB Dealer near Meadowhall - they managed to get me a key with only 2 buttons, then insisted it was correct for the VIN number! Cost well over £200
Use the MB dealer at the other end of town - starts with an 'E' and rhymes with 'Europa'... Bob is your man for spare parts.

At least insure the one you do have - I have a policy that costs the grand total of £14 per year - covers car & house keys (& house locks if required)

I lost a car key in the summer - they paid up for a £220 replacment no problem

Who with please ? Sounds good.

So on average then they key will last 171 years which i think will be slightly longer than the car or owner :dk:

Everytime you put the key in the ignition, that is one hash code gone ( rolling code )

Where did you get 171 years from ?????????

My first key on my W202 died after 10 years :rolleyes:

Be interested to see some real world data about this .... never ever heard of it before ...

Not links to people who told other people on the net , but real figures from MB backing this up.

:)

Be interested to see some real world data about this .... never ever heard of it before ...

Not links to people who told other people on the net , but real figures from MB backing this up.

:)

I will find you some :thumb: it is true believe me ;)

Everytime you put the key in the ignition, that is one hash code gone ( rolling code )

Think about it. 10 times a day, every day, would in itself be 25,000 days. Now divide that by 365...

I put my key in the ignition on average 4 times a day, do the maths mines still going strong nearly 15 years in on original key. Even if you averaged 12 times a day it would last 57 years.Think you might have had a duff Key :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom