LED tail light warranty !!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hercules

Car
W203 2006 180K Sport Edition & ML164 sport
Mostly all new car today are coming with this new technology LED tail light and DRL led, but what happened when some of these LED get defective , are we supposed to buy a complete unit ? Or do they come with a long term warranty ??
I have retrofitted these tail light on my ML last January and now have noticed that 2 LED on my RH tail light are not coming on (lower red ) see enclosed phoptos
left tail.JPG

right tail.JPG

Hi,
If they were genuine MB parts then I think they will have a guarentee of two years.

Hi,
If they were genuine MB parts then I think they will have a guarentee of two years.

Yes they have been purchase from Mercedes-Benz of Oxford, I will give them a call first thing Monday morning.

Thanks

Still I think they should give longer warranty for any LED fault !!!

As Andy says, all MB parts standard 2 years warranty, Batteries 3 years

If you have the original receipt, go to ANY MB dealer. They will fix it, including doing the work to fix it (of course they get paid by MB for the labour)

Cheers

Richard

This is great
Thanks Richard

Problem as I was expecting it as usual they are useless!!

I booked for the car to be checked today, shown the photo to the manager say no problemo will call you back later.

Two hours late had a call saying the engineer has found nothing wrong with tail light, every thing is working fine.

Ok went to collect car, before going in I went to the car parked in front switched head light and as was expecting still 2 dead LED.

I called the manager to tell him he is an idiot ( not really but nearly), then here is the scenario.

Because the part fitted is not for the model year of the vehicle warranty is not valid.:fail

Anyway to cut long story short, I nearly staid there 45 min arguing and talking to a gentleman responsible for warranty, he told me he was going to write to Mercedes to clarify the term of warranty for the case

Now I'm waiting for the response from MB:mad::mad::mad:

I guess the argument is: Do Mercedes give warranty on the part or the car that it is fitted to or both. Usually warranty is on the part sold. I suppose they will argue that you are using the part out of the warranty conditions i.e. fitted to the wrong car.

Good luck..;^)

Take the part off and take it another dealer it should then get changed :D

Isn't the dealer going to ask me for the VIN where that part come from ?

Possibly but not always especially if you still have the box for it and they have them in stock.

It may not work but you could try if all else fails

Yes I still have the original box

No But I will have to remove it if they will replace

I think I can see the admin issue - they will need to log the warranty job on the computer against your car's VIN - and they probably don't have a code for 'Replace rear LEDs' for this VIN. If they can't log the job on the computer, they can't get paid by MB...

Here are the latest updates

While I'm waiting reply from my local MB, I phoned an other dealer yesterday and he told me I need to take the car there to investigate the fault, they are not willing to do an exchange unless the car is present as markjay mentioned in the previous post.

But today I took a close look to the tail light unit and noted that there is droplets of water inside the lenses and trace of moister.
So this is a proof of manufacturing defects.

So while waiting for my MB dealer , I will give a call on Monday to Inchcape where units were purchased and see if they are willing to exchange the faulty unit by sending it to them.

Ok, be careful with the "were they fitted correctly" argument they may come with (i.e was the foam seal between body and lamp OK - / did you replace it (I didn't on mine, but I did order the replacements as I thought I would need to), was the lamp tight or has water drained in behind etc set of excuses not to replace them FOC

Cheers

Richard

Ok, be careful with the "were they fitted correctly" argument they may come with (i.e was the foam seal between body and lamp OK - / did you replace it (I didn't on mine, but I did order the replacements as I thought I would need to), was the lamp tight or has water drained in behind etc set of excuses not to replace them FOC

Cheers

Richard

Big Droplets of water are on the very top inside lens and of course spreading down, yes I did fit new foam seal about 10mm thick , removed unit and there is no trace of water ingress from there !!

Thanks

Herc

Cheers

Richard

Big Droplets of water are on the very top inside lens and of course spreading down, yes I did fit new foam seal about 10mm thick , removed unit and there is no trace of water ingress from there !!

Thanks

Herc

Droplets are inside the external plastic lens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom