Left-foot braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When left foot braking, if your left foot is to the side most of the time, then isn’t moving your left foot across to the brake pedal just as “inefficient” as having to move your right foot?

And if your left foot is to the side until you need to cover the brake in anticipation of needing to brake, then isn’t that the same as moving your right foot to cover the brake?

If you anticipate the need to brake, and hence the need to cover the brake pedal, then surely you take your foot off the accelerator having anticipated the hazard?

I still struggle to see the benefit for normal, safe driving on the road.
Yes , and no .

There is movement- true .

But there is less confusion . Then , as I explained in earlier posts , there can be advantages in using both at once , or in smoothly transitioning from one to the other .

I often use a little acceleration during the braking phase to bring in the part throttle downshift in the approach to a bend . Normally , during braking an automatic box will take the highest gear possible ; if you manually select a lower gear during braking , without acceleration , it will result in a ‘jerk’ .

It takes practice to master , but it IS a better way .

We get it works for some people for some of the time..

It is the Insistence that it is easier and better that has rankled...and that, by inference, you can’t be a smooth advanced driver if you can’t do it.

No jerkiness from my auto box on downshifts...maybe because I am lucky enough to drive something ftom this century, which reflects the advances in technology

Before I’m out altogether, the basic objection seems to be that it’s unnatural ; contrary to learned experience ?

Yet , how many of the naysayers have learned to drive in the UK , yet somehow manage to drive abroad in LHD vehicles , on ‘wrong side of the road’ ?

When switching over , I find it ‘alien’ for maybe 10 minutes to half an hour , then I manage , like everyone else .

OK , I’ve lived in Holland and Germany for months at a time , but nobody seems to complain at that , a bigger difference than using another foot .

.... and can you look at a Kmh speedometer and know your speed in mph without having to think about it ?
I generally work in Europe and Scandinavia, I drive vehicles with 150t gross on euerpean and Scandinavia territory.
I do have knowledge of auto and manual lhd vehicles kn the UK and overseas, my occupation is driving 🤣
You seem to think you are the be all of driving.

I have spent the past 20 years driving in Europe with vehicles in excess of 100t gross, auto and manual and not once have I felt the need to left foot brake.

I've been towed from Rotherham to ijmunden with with gross weight of 150t +, the tow vehicle asking me to brake for him. He also stated that he would decide which way to circumnavigate the roundabouts when he arrived as we were 30ft lenght + while being towed.

Not once was left foot braking mentioned, and we were at approximately 190t gross.

You seem to think other people haven't experienced life and driving in unfamiliarity territory.

Not having experienced them, can someone tell me if the pedals, auto or manual, are different on a LHD vehicle?

if they are the same I fail to see the relevance of the example.

We get it works for some people for some of the time..

It is the Insistence that it is easier and better that has rankled...and that, by inference, you can’t be a smooth advanced driver if you can’t do it.

No jerkiness from my auto box on downshifts...maybe because I am lucky enough to drive something ftom this century, which reflects the advances in technology
You may get it, but there are just as many posts on this thread from others suggesting that anyone who left foot brakes must be some sort of loon, the tone from many is quite pathetic really

Reactions: 219
Before I’m out altogether, the basic objection seems to be that it’s unnatural ; contrary to learned experience ?

Yet , how many of the naysayers have learned to drive in the UK , yet somehow manage to drive abroad in LHD vehicles , on ‘wrong side of the road’ ?

When switching over , I find it ‘alien’ for maybe 10 minutes to half an hour , then I manage , like everyone else .

OK , I’ve lived in Holland and Germany for months at a time , but nobody seems to complain at that , a bigger difference than using another foot .

.... and can you look at a Kmh speedometer and know your speed in mph without having to think about it ?
When we lived in Greece we had 3 cars. A lhd manual Suzuki Alto, a rhd manual Mercedes C180 and an auto rhd manual E220. Most days me and my wife used all 3 with zero problems. We had a scooter that was neither led or end.
I learned to drive in England and got used to driving in Greece in about 10 seconds.
I didn’t look at the speed limit as my speed was governed by the cars in front, by road conditions and other things.

I can’t really see your point.

I often use a little acceleration during the braking phase to bring in the part throttle downshift in the approach to a bend . Normally , during braking an automatic box will take the highest gear possible ; if you manually select a lower gear during braking , without acceleration , it will result in a ‘jerk’ .

Sounds like something to use on the track, not on the A14 doing 40mph in the average speed check.

Sounds like something to use on the track, not on the A14 doing 40mph in the average speed check.
Truly , not about speed , or track driving ; entirely relevant to road driving , and breaking the IAM ( Institute if Advanced Motorists ) BGOL ( brake/gear overlap ) dogma ; which recent drives at Tulliallan have shown Police advanced instruction has also left behind .

When we lived in Greece we had 3 cars. A lhd manual Suzuki Alto, a rhd manual Mercedes C180 and an auto rhd manual E220. Most days me and my wife used all 3 with zero problems. We had a scooter that was neither led or end.
I learned to drive in England and got used to driving in Greece in about 10 seconds.
I didn’t look at the speed limit as my speed was governed by the cars in front, by road conditions and other things.

I can’t really see your point.
Not trying to be funny or picky , but ‘ an auto RHD manual E220 ? Eh ?

I accept you had zero problems. Same with me driving in numerous European LHD countries. I’d contend that LHD/RHD , on opposite sides of roads is a bigger adjustment than which foot you use to brake, yet we all manage .

likewise , my Ponton had a kmh only speedometer, yet I knew what mph speed I was doing without any need for an idiot guide on the speedo

I've had a few already, still wouldn't left foot brake as I'm not super human and not an expert at everything everyone comment's on.

likewise , my Ponton had a kmh only speedometer, yet I knew what mph speed I was doing without any need for an idiot guide on the speedo

Gosh you are so cool , you must live your live with admiration from everyone , how you calculate kmh to mph as you drive .
You live in a bubble

You'd struggle to pull away as the brakes are generally more powerful than the engine's ability to overcome them.
No one would constantly apply the brakes whilst driving ; brake application would be no more than otherwise ; just made by the left foot .

No one would constantly apply the brakes whilst driving ; brake application would be no more than otherwise ; just made by the left foot .

Dude, I was replying to this:

Just to painfully prolong the question a little longer, what would be the result if you left foot braked throughout your driving test?:devil:
If you held the brakes on with your left foot for the entirety of the test, you wouldn't get out the car park.
Or you'd at least do a wicked rolling burnout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom