Loading bay rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

123juzzy

Car
MERCEDES 300CE 1987
I received a parking ticket whilst unloading my 1990 250TD which was in a loading bay. It was for being an incorrect type of vehicle.
The rules are that only "motor vehicles and trailers constructed for the carriage of goods" are allowed to stop in loading bay.
I want to argue that my 1990 250TD was actually constructed to carry goods.
Can anyone offer any literature or other printed matter which would back this up?

Check the registration document (V5) for your car. If the taxation class says "Light Goods Vehicle" then it's your lucky day, otherwise I think you'll have to pay up ;)

The rules are that only "motor vehicles and trailers constructed for the carriage of goods" are allowed to stop in loading bay.
I want to argue that my 1990 250TD was actually constructed to carry goods.

I would suggest that the text is ambiguous to any observer/reader. Almost any motor vehicle could be considered as "being constructed to carry goods".

The fact that you were "carrying goods in the said vehicle in a safe manner and within the law" would say that this is all you are required to demonstrate along with a polite letter explaining the circumstances and time spent unloading etc.

FYI: This is often a an abused bit of legislation on both sides of the fence ;^)

Politeness in your letter may win you sympathy and the case. Pointing out that your estate car is designed to carry goods with a large load area in the rear and specially designed load supports on the roof (not many people know this). So to the best of your knowledge (ignorance is not an excuse) you had not committed an offense and certainly never intended to do so.

A photograph of the car with the seats down for load carrying may help to appeal.

Check the registration document (V5) for your car. If the taxation class says "Light Goods Vehicle" then it's your lucky day, otherwise I think you'll have to pay up ;)

The taxation class will be PLG : Private/Light Goods .

AFAIK ... loading bays are either open for any vehicle (signed: "Loading Only") or restricted to goods vehicles (signed: "Goods Vehicles Loading Only").

From the OP it sounded like he/she was stopped in the latter type, in which case I don't think a tax class of P/LG would cut it (it would allow all cars to stop there, defeating the purpose of the restriction).

Worth double-checking the signage though.

Were you loading/unloading to a business? Can you obtain a delivery note with date and time to prove you were unloading?

I've had this with my W210 and I argued that I would not leave my vehicle open and unlocked on a busy street whilst getting the paperwork signed. The council waived the charge. I guess it depends on the local council enforcing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom