london to export it's poor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Harrythedog said:
Throw the rich out of London instead. There'll be less demand for housing so the daft prices will have to come down

Which part of London do you live in Harry ?

Its a bit of useful publicity highlighting the effect of the HB cuts no more than that, no local HA would prioritise folk without a local connection over the people on their own waiting list. As they are not a Home Office "problem" there can be no possibility of them being transported to private sector accommodation in other towns either. The poll tax payers of Newham will have to grin and bear it.:(

Clearly you have never been to Stoke.

Imagine going from being the place that made every single piece of crockery used in the UK for 200 years, to the place that makes nothing, in the space of around 5 years.

Even Doncaster is nicer.

You come into this life with nothing and you WILL leave with nothing.
Rich or poor it makes no difference.
There are no pockets in shrouds.
There is no queue jumping the 'poor' people at those pearly white gates.
Stoke or no Stoke.

You come into this life with nothing and you WILL leave with nothing.
Rich or poor it makes no difference.
There are no pockets in shrouds.
There is no queue jumping the 'poor' people at those pearly white gates.
Stoke or no Stoke.

There may be no pockets in a shroud, but for the 70 or 80 years that you stay around, being rich or poor makes a huge difference. Just ask a poor person which they'd rather be.

There may be no pockets in a shroud, but for the 70 or 80 years that you stay around, being rich or poor makes a huge difference. Just ask a poor person which they'd rather be.

Huge difference to one's ego perhaps ?
Wealth and happiness don't always run side by side.

"I've been rich, and I've been poor. Rich is better."

Nothing at all new about this as anyone who lives in Banbury can tell you. There was a big influx of Londoners moved there before my time but I am guessing in the late 1960s and early 1970s. A number of them came from what I assume were well-known East London extended criminal families below Kray level but associated, and the same names crop up routinely even now in the very limited court reporting still carried by the local paper. Apart from that there were jobs then that don't exist now and I get the impression integration was not a major issue after the first five years or so.

Let's leave aside any suggestions of ethnic cleansing, or even gerrymandering.

It's high time that someone put a cap on the amount of public money that is being doled out to private landlords, in many cases effectively setting the market rate at an unrealistically high level, which has a knock-on effect on low-earners that don't qualify for benefits.

The idea of families having to move hundreds of miles in a particular direction is nonsense. The benefit cap is set at a level equivalent to the national average household income, so all it means is that people currently living above their means at public expense will have to do what working families do, and take up residence in a more affordable area. (Quite why Newham should be unaffordable in the first place is another matter, though.)

The most these people will need to do is move to somewhere like Havering, where prices are still well below the government subsidy level.

I agree that there is a need for social housing in city centres, as the city needs workers after all, and it's not practical for them all to commute. But paying private rents in expensive areas is not the way to provide social housing.

Building council houses to replace those lost to the right to buy is the only way out of this mess, good for the building trades too.

Building council houses to replace those lost to the right to buy is the only way out of this mess, good for the building trades too.

Thankfully, that is now Coalition policy. (But let's not turn this into a political thread - it'll only get closed.)

Not sure they could hack the diet... :p

OT, but I won my first eating contest today. A hot wings challenge. The target 12mins to eat 12 really hot wings (they were quiet hot, not toilet melting ring of fire sadly). I set the bar at 5mins5sec.

And no, they weren't battered.

Glasgow has something for everyman.

Perhaps, certainly NOT spending public money on that Olympics to watch skinny men run down some red track or some barely female women chuck a round stone about would be a better idea.

The money could have been used to build council houses, repay some of our national debt, or put in the kitty so personal allowances could be raised to the benefit of all. Or how about repairing some of the damaged roads. So many things....

But no, the money is spent on something thats in accessible to 80% of the countries population, and inconviences 20% of the population. If thats the best the government can do, who can I write to get my tax back from my wages?

They can move back when the 'olympic village' has been vandalized to a suitable standard.

Shouldn't take long , it is East London after all.

Imagine if they'd spent the money on social housing (council houses) rather than wasting it on 10 days of sport?

I imagine the outcome would be the same, however the money was spent.

Either will end up vandalized to a suitable standard:rolleyes:

It's high time that someone put a cap on the amount of public money that is being doled out to private landlords,

Yeah...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom