Looking to buy a 2016 C63. Need advice from fellow owners...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh yeh of course.

I guess it's a very tough question to answer...probably the only person who can has owned both a C63 and a C63s...can't be many of them.

I'm of the opinion that you may as well get the best one you can afford and hold out for it, getting a non-S version was pointless to me for a variety of reasons.

May as well do it right the first time otherwise you'll be wondering 'what if?' forever.
Me too, if there’s a higher-power version (Performance Pack, S, etc) then I go for it. The difference in price is significant in isolation but relative to the cost of the car not so much.

I work on the basis that a less-expensive car ends up being poor value if it’s not the one I really wanted. I’d rather pay a touch more and get the one I really wanted.

I’m not one for modifying cars, and so going for the more powerful model makes a lot of sense to me, as it’s as powerful, quick or well specified as it can be from the factory.

Thanks for sharing Greg.

"Need" wasn't quite the right word...! I more meant whether those differences would be noticed by most people...for example the electronic diff sounds like a nice upgrade but I wonder whether that will have any impact when I'm driving, even when I'm pushing it a bit? Or will that kind of upgrade only really be apparent when the car is being pushed to the limits on a track?
For the average driver it won’t be noticed in 99.9% of driving.

S models make most sense for people who don’t like to modify their cars. Non-S models make most sense for people who do like to modify their cars.

But lots of people simply end up in a car based upon availability, other options, condition, price, rather than a planned and deliberate decision.

Yep...all makes sense.

Your last post will probably apply to me - I'm going to be quite specific with the spec I'd like, so it'll be one or the other depending on what's available when I'm ready.

I’ve driven plenty of both, customers cars and a good mate has an S that I’ve serviced, driven and been passenger in many times. I’ve owned two C63 biturbo estates myself. I chose the non S both times for an old man reason - I find the seats in the S model uncomfortable. The base particularly I find does not have enough padding for me. Ok, I am the racing hips version myself with very little padding of my own so it’s probably my own fault! :)

I’ve driven plenty of both, customers cars and a good mate has an S that I’ve serviced, driven and been passenger in many times. I’ve owned two C63 biturbo estates myself. I chose the non S both times for an old man reason - I find the seats in the S model uncomfortable. The base particularly I find does not have enough padding for me. Ok, I am the racing hips version myself with very little padding of my own so it’s probably my own fault! :)

Ahh yes, this is something I've read about...some people say they love the standard sports seats...others say they love the performance seats. I can definitely see how the sports seats with the extra space and padding would be more comfortable though.

What about the other differences - brakes, engine mounts, diff, hp - are they noticeable?

Mines tuned to nearly 590bhp, so I fit nicely into Rob’s modding category :)
I like the simplicity of the old fashioned lsd. I’ve never found the stock brakes lacking either, even with more power. Will save money on discs too when the time comes ;)
At the time I was buying, the S model was another £10k. Seats aside, it still was an easy decision for me. Everyone has their own choice. There’s no right or wrong I think.

590...nice! Thanks for the other info as well.

I'm tempted to go down the modded route, but also quite like the idea of maintaining the warranty...!

S model around £4k more these days...not so much in it.

BTW Op..apologies for the complete thread hijack. Hopefully all useful info that you're enjoying reading as well..

Oh yeh of course.

I guess it's a very tough question to answer...probably the only person who can has owned both a C63 and a C63s...can't be many of them.

I owned a 2017 non “S” before picking up my facelift 2019 ‘S’ both coupes.

You can’t go wrong with either, there’s no noticeable difference between them to the average person like me on a day to day basis.

I got a very good deal on the ‘S’ and that’s why I went for it.

So two things, if you love your ‘badges‘ or your budget allows, then go for the ‘S’.

Sounds like a scam to me...
Dealers have so many cars at present they will be on BOGOF at Aldi soon.
Nope not a scam. It was followed my an offical lView attachment 100983

There is a chronic shortage of general good, used car stock now .

We are seeing a reverse repeat of what happened to used car prices in winter 2009 when used car prices hit rock bottom;
once all those used cars were sold off very cheaply, with no new sales after 'the crash', shortage/s meant used price values then increased by about 10% by summer 2010.

Now - when showrooms opened in June, there was a huge 3 month pent up demand and used car dealers were selling stock like hot cakes,

Currently, with very few/nobody buying NEW cars, the availability of used cars is massively reduced and trade cars are selling at dealer auctions at well over CAP (trade) clean.

A friend of mine in Kent turned over his entire stock of 33 cars by the end of June; now he is desperately chasing for replacement stock all over the UK.

My advice to anyone currently, would be to put any buying plans on hold - my guess is things will start to improve (used prices fall) in about November;
especially in this age where so many cars, both Company and personal are attached to some form of finance or lease scheme.

I suspect, by November, as the full brunt of the Covid fallout becomes more apparent and Gov't furlough payments stop, very many people on furlough will see redundancy,
and as across the board all big businesses already are and will continue to be using Covid as an excuse to 'restructure'/similar, unemployment will rise whilst wages fall.

For those with the patience, wait 3 months, by then there will also be more de-fleeting happening and much reduced new car sale activity - all of which will by then depress the current high used car prices.

For those interested enough, take a look at this:

Last edited:
I owned a 2017 non “S” before picking up my facelift 2019 ‘S’ both coupes.

You can’t go wrong with either, there’s no noticeable difference between them to the average person like me on a day to day basis.

I got a very good deal on the ‘S’ and that’s why I went for it.

So two things, if you love your ‘badges‘ or your budget allows, then go for the ‘S’.

Great to hear..thanks for this. Tbh the thing I probably like the most about the S model is the red calipers...might just get the normal model and get them painted haha.

Oldbarrack - Good read from that link and you're definitely right...prices are a bit high now. My plan has always been to wait a few months before starting my search for this reason.

I do wonder though - yes we're in a recession/heading for one, but I'm not sure whether these are the types of cars that are so affected by these economic factors...time will tell.

Oldbarrack - Good read from that link and you're definitely right...prices are a bit high now. My plan has always been to wait a few months before starting my search for this reason.

I do wonder though - yes we're in a recession/heading for one, but I'm not sure whether these are the types of cars that are so affected by these economic factors...time will tell.

====================

I suspect you will find prices will fall across all market segments;
used car values, including (somewhat suspect) high/low comments on Autotrader, are all largely derived from their CAP Valuation:

BCA, Manheim, Aston Scott, Copart - they all use CAP-HPI for valuations - in fact, although I've been semi retired since my youngest daughter death,
I too have a trade a/c there, as I still dabble in a few old, high value proper cherished numbers to keep me occupied - I've been fascinated/collecting/tinkering with those since the mid/late 1970's.

So if my market reading is right, and I've followed the market, mainly for cherished reg # purposes now for well over 4 decades, the likelihood is everything (probably except electric & hybrids) will fall.
Clearly there will be massive de-fleeting from both Companies and the rental sector (rentals now being sluggish), probably plus many people defaulting on their varying form of finance/loan/lease/whatever.

Clearly CAP don't want to p!$$ of their trade customers, but if you read between the lines in the last paragraph, there is clearly already doubt/s about values in the longer term here:

Personally, I would wait in your position, but clearly the decision is yours -
but for sure follow prior advice and pay a little extra for an approved MB product and push for max warranty and servicing, sadly, great cars like those can attract sketchy (budget/skimping) owners, even from new.

Thanks for the advice...I'm definitely waiting a little while before properly starting my search. It will be interesting to see where C63 prices are in a few months.

I also suspect car finance will become cheaper as demand levels off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom