• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Looking to buy a C55/CLK55/E55k/E63/CLS55/CLS63/SL55 - Advice/Comments? - Which One?!

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Morning All

After Jay took my SL60 last year I have dipped into a 2006 TT 3.2 V6 S-Tronic and currently a nice 2005 987 Boxster S 3.2. Both great cars in their own right but I haven't really clicked with either of these.

Looking to get back into an AMG V8 again as dearly miss the SL60. I have a W212 E220 SE Estate for work, the missus has a VW Touran (maybe soon to be Freelander 2...ideas?!) so only use this for personal use for around upto 2k miles per year.

As long as the golf clubs fit in somewhere occasionally it doesn't have to be too practical or cost effective. Obviously zero running costs are nice but I realise big motors can often cost big money to run so prepared and happy (sorry content!) with that. I was 40 last year, am not much of a show off and prefer the understated stance so don't really like the idea of a convertible but if it is an SL55 then it is. The SL60 or Boxster purchases were not because they were convertible's but only as there was not a direct fixed head option at the same cost. I ended up buying a pano for the SL60 anyway.

I picked out the obvious candidates of a C55/CLK55/E55k/E63/CLS55/CLS63/SL55 and ideally would like to swap the £12.5k ish the Boxster owes me into the pot. I will add more if I need to upto £16-18k I guess but would prefer not to as I am sure the wife/kids would have a better use for the cash!

Anyone got any thoughts or experience on any of these to help me take a direction with this please?

Thanks
Dean

I guess I could have added an SLK55 into the mix as well I suppose. Why stop at 7 options when I can complicate it further with 8!

E55K

I know of a nice one for sale. Aka$h has one.

A C63 is with budget too. Engine performance is as good as the others, and the handling is one of the sharpest. Running shouldn't be too high, Mercedes can do you a service plan for £40 a month. But the only down side is the depreciation have got way to go.

Given the other cars you have it would have to be another SL wouldn't it, the others will be too similar to your work car, just with a big engine.

I like the idea of an SL if I didn't have to have the extra seats but view them as a hard top as I just don't get convertibles and it is just about the only hard top convertible that looks as nature intended with the roof up.

If you can find one and you may need to stretch the budget a CLK63

Thanks all. Just to add some spice I was looking to change the wife's Touran to something that I would be happy to go out in with her and the kids. Not a fan of the Touran...nice kiddy mover but Sport is a hard ride and although the car is very well spec'd I would like to go out it in something nicer.

If I go slightly more practical so not SL or SLK then I will keep the Touran and let them use and abuse it! If I go for SL or SLK then I need to change the Touran.

Basically means I am happy to add even more cash to the new incoming Merc if I keep the Touran as don't have to pop another £5-10k on top of the Touran. Some or all of that can be added into the pot if required although I don't think this changes the options much...or at all. Just means I drop the SL or SLK options.

Think that makes sense. Not sure if it is me making things more complicated but they never seem easy obvious decisions that I get to make!

OK, looks good. Shame it isn't black. Not sure I could live with 3 Silver cars and a silver van at work!

TDE1 is tempted to sell his E55k which I believe is a black late 2005 55 plate. He was looking at putting it up for £14k with a nice member discount to reduce this a bit it seemed.

I keep threatening to sell my 2004 E55. 86,000 miles, FMBSH. Would swap it for your Boxster (if it's tidy and has good history....)

I think the E55 fits the bill for your budget,plenty of room for the wife and kids and a large boot, the cls has the better looks though, the best thing about driving the E is I look like an old fart with a pipe in a merc :devil: until i floor it.

I just love the fact its the ultimate in stealth:D

I keep threatening to sell my 2004 E55. 86,000 miles, FMBSH. Would swap it for your Boxster (if it's tidy and has good history....)

The Boxster is very nice and very very tidy. Basalt black metallic with black leather & red callipers. Has extended leather, electric heated seats, all other standard kit and MoBridge iPod interface. Has full Porsche history through 1st owner. The 2nd owner was a bit fastidious by all accounts from Hertford as my next door neighbour knows the car and the couple very well. He had it looked after exclusively by RPM Technik. It is spotless from what I can see with not a mark on the body or alloys. I am the 3rd owner.

Just taxed it for another year and will need some tyres on it in 2-3k I'm told and would agree with that. Also will need some rear pads soon. Had full service last year and doesn't need another until July next year.

What money you looking at for your E55?

I think the E55 fits the bill for your budget,plenty of room for the wife and kids and a large boot, the cls has the better looks though, the best thing about driving the E is I look like an old fart with a pipe in a merc :devil: until i floor it.

I just love the fact its the ultimate in stealth:D

I like stealth....I always feel a bit awkward and didn't feel comfortable with the roof down.

I had an M5 for 2 months last year while my work 530d was being looked at for very poor MPG. That was pretty stealth I thought and what a weapon that was. If the E55k is nearly as good as the M5 but with slightly more comfort then I would be a happy man.

I like stealth....I always feel a bit awkward and didn't feel comfortable with the roof down.

I had an M5 for 2 months last year while my work 530d was being looked at for very poor MPG. That was pretty stealth I thought and what a weapon that was. If the E55k is nearly as good as the M5 but with slightly more comfort then I would be a happy man.

Forgot to mention it has a genuine Porsche ISOFIX and airbag deactivation kit that cost me a small arm and leg to get London Stratford Porsche to supply/fit for me.

OK, looks good. Shame it isn't black. Not sure I could live with 3 Silver cars and a silver van at work!

TDE1 is tempted to sell his E55k which I believe is a black late 2005 55 plate. He was looking at putting it up for £14k with a nice member discount to reduce this a bit it seemed.
have it vinyl wrapped? matt black maybe ? I reckon you could have it done for under a grand

For me it would be between the SL55, the CLS55 and the CLS63, or as someone else mentioned a C63.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom