• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Looking to buy a C55/CLK55/E55k/E63/CLS55/CLS63/SL55 - Advice/Comments? - Which One?!

The mileage is 74k on the Boxster. It was very low mileage until about 2 years when the last owner changed jobs and did 40k in the last 2 years. It is immaculate so a straight genuine well looked after car. It drives spot on from what I know which to be honest is not much as it was the first Boxster I have ever driven. Driven a few 911's but if feels good to me.

Your car sounds good but really need to get over the Silver issue....not sure if I can! Does it have cooling seats or pano roof? Not sure if it sensible to spend a bit more and get a later car but just doing my research to see what is best.

Hi yes the car has cooling seats, no pano roof though..... 74,000 a bit toppy for the Boxster - I'd be thinking about RMS/IMS.....

Hi yes the car has cooling seats, no pano roof though..... 74,000 a bit toppy for the Boxster - I'd be thinking about RMS/IMS.....

OK, thanks. Still has standard sunroof though? Does it have Keyless Go? Heated rear seats? Distronic? Xenon's? iPod interface?

I agree with your comment on the RMS/IMS issue as thought the same when I looked at it. However I did many hours of research and was happy with what I found. It may be wrong but from what I found less than 5% of cars have ever been affected by either RMS/IMS. Most of those have been earlier 986 cars. Therefore I took the stance that my car had the least chance of being affected by either RMS/IMS. Certainly not for me to worry about more than any other car out there suffering normal 'common' design deficiencies.

The RMS issue seems to be purely a cosmetic issue just with the seal being a little weak so it would give an oil leak. An upgraded seal was fitted to later cars but can't be sure exactly when that started. I understood 987's 2005-on to have them mainly and they were replaced during visits to dealers in many cases. I have been told that mine has been replaced but can only go on what I have been told verbally. I have no oil leaks and no oil on my drive so have no reason to doubt this is the case at this stage.

The IMS is a different beastie altogether it seems. Again I have taken the view that my car has a very slim chance of being affected. It is caused by a short bolt apparently and there is a retrofit kit with longer bolt to eradicate this issue from happening however remote on later cars. Again I took the view that mine is a 987 so less affected and haven't worried about it being an issue.

Anything like this is more of a risk I guess if you don't look after a car or drive it hard when it hasn't warmed up sufficiently etc. or use it more often and pile on tons of miles. The more use/miles then the more risk. I only use it once to twice a week on a decent enough run with about 2-3k miles per year expected. My take that was it was a very low risk and nothing I have ever lost a second of sleep over. I have far greater issues to lose sleep over! ;)

I can try to find out from Porsche or RPM though for definite if the RMS/IMS issues have been dealt with in each case though if you still feel it is an issue. I wasn't worried about it to the point that I felt it was a risky purchase and am a very calculating person. I weigh up risk/reward all the time and don't take silly or adverse risks. Happy to take a gamble or a punt on things some times but not stupid ones or when the risk outweighs the reward.

I have been very happy with the Boxster as it is a great car but it just isn't for me...I should have kept the SL60. Jay would have been a bit richer if I had I should imagine!

Forgot to say that it has the balance of a 6 month warranty that came with the car from the dealer I got it from which I understand is transferable if that is of any use/value.

Also has the BOSE upgraded speaker system.

What did you buy recently yourself as I noticed you were looking a while back? The SL55?

Yes, I got the SL 55 in the end, finding a CLS in the colour I wanted when I was looking was proving impossible.
I'm really happy with it, it has had a couple of teething problems but I think you can get them with any car.

Will be keeping it until I can afford something with the 5.5 bi turbo engine, the 6.2 V8 doesn't really do anything for me.

Yes, I got the SL 55 in the end, finding a CLS in the colour I wanted when I was looking was proving impossible.
I'm really happy with it, it has had a couple of teething problems but I think you can get them with any car.

Will be keeping it until I can afford something with the 5.5 bi turbo engine, the 6.2 V8 doesn't really do anything for me.

I think you are right to be honest so have discounted the E63/CLS63 from the equation. Looks like E55 is favourite at the moment.

I think you are right to be honest so have discounted the E63/CLS63 from the equation. Looks like E55 is favourite at the moment.

My last AMG before the SL was an E55, great car and so much power for the money now too, if you need the 5 seats then go for one without hesitating, for me personally, with Summer now here and not needing the extra seats I'm glad I got the SL, to be honest I don't think there is a bad choice from your list, their all good.

Thanks Oli, focussing on the E55 at the moment so will see what transpires and hopefully a deal can be done with an E55 soon.

+1 for the CLS55 and in black of course

The shape is a future classic, then there is the that engine :cool:

You can't lose. A 55 reg plate for the lower road tax (if that matters to you) and one with a MB warranty for peace of mind.

SLK55 is a blast for a bit of summer fun, I had a black one also. they are very small though..

You can't lose. A 55 reg plate for the lower road tax (if that matters to you) and one with a MB warranty for peace of mind.

Early 06 reg is still in the lower tax as mine is, the change came on the 23rd March. There won't be many that are the higher tax anyway because the 55 was replaced with the 63 a couple of months later.

...and not forgetting the cost of replacement brakes on the 63s is spectacular when compared to the 55Ks.

The shape is a future classic, then there is the that engine :cool:

SLK55 is a blast for a bit of summer fun, I had a black one also. they are very small though..

I like the CLS's but is it me or do they just seem to look big/bigger? I know they are a smidge longer but the E saloon just looks a little more compact/short.

The lower tax is always nice and useful but I guess not a total deal breaker. Most seem to be pre 06 anyway so most should be lower tax.

Mostly electrical gremlins and from the ' 04 plates onwards (3Q 2003 supposedly) they were galvanised.

I agree with what you're saying about 'plate snobbery' but in this case I would personally go for as late a plate as possible to make sure that you're reducing the risk of the common faults that occurred with some early W211's.

Any thoughts one if this one looks like a later revision mostly gremlin free car with the perforated centre grill in picture 10? Or an earlier revisions with slatted centre grill with potential gremlins?

Used Mercedes-benz E Class Saloon E55k 4dr Tip Auto in Wembley, London | Enigma Cars

Any thoughts one if this one looks like a later revision mostly gremlin free car with the perforated centre grill in picture 10? Or an earlier revisions with slatted centre grill with potential gremlins?

Used Mercedes-benz E Class Saloon E55k 4dr Tip Auto in Wembley, London | Enigma Cars

It looks good lots and lots of toys full mercedes history, whats not to like, not sure if photo ten shows it well because of the angle but think its the earlier version, still you would expect at the age and mileage any gremlins would have surfaced.

If you test drive you know you will want it, 18 months into my ownership still giggle every time the beast comes out:D

Yes, that's the later version W211; the speaker grille is mesh.

I actually contemplated buying that car myself but I think it could be cheaper due to the mileage, it's a big plus to have every single extra but a car with 112k miles on is still a car with 112k miles on for ten bags (if you know what I mean).

Having said that, if I'd have followed through with a purchase of an E55, that one would have been the first on my list; it's got the two real biggies of spec; Distronic and panoramic roof.

Yes, that's the later version W211; the speaker grille is mesh.

I actually contemplated buying that car myself but I think it could be cheaper due to the mileage, it's a big plus to have every single extra but a car with 112k miles on is still a car with 112k miles on for ten bags (if you know what I mean).

Having said that, if I'd have followed through with a purchase of an E55, that one would have been the first on my list; it's got the two real biggies of spec; Distronic and panoramic roof.

Thanks for identifying the later model SPX, agree with you if your a cash buyer should be able to get it for a bit less, still 112k for the OP who is not going to use it as a daily drive couple of k a year makes sense to go with all the toys and solid history.

...and not forgetting the cost of replacement brakes on the 63s is spectacular when compared to the 55Ks.

And that the 55k Engine is just nicer.
Is there any reason the brakes are more expensive?, I Would have thought they were cheaper as Mercedes ditched the SBC rubbish.

I like the CLS's but is it me or do they just seem to look big/bigger? I know they are a smidge longer but the E saloon just looks a little more compact/short.

The lower tax is always nice and useful but I guess not a total deal breaker. Most seem to be pre 06 anyway so most should be lower tax.

In reality the CLS body is just 10cm longer, 5cm wider and 2cm lower, but I agree with you they look a lot bigger. The issue for me, being 6'2" was the roofline which sweeps down towards the windscreen and it felt claustrophobic even with the seat low down, and I whacked my head getting in and out of the one I drove a couple of times. The E55 feels a lot more compact. Everytime I see a CLS on the road I think how much bigger they look. Definitely more road presence, but I prefer the stealth of my E55.

And that the 55k Engine is just nicer.
Is there any reason the brakes are more expensive?, I Would have thought they were cheaper as Mercedes ditched the SBC rubbish.

63 discs around £1600, 55 £400 ish, to be honest the 55 costs not much more than servicing my oil burner, have had all the big jobs done discs pads, gearbox service new plugs, the bill came to a lot less than just the discs for the 63.

Use a great indie though and not dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom