• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

M3 or c63

Problem is, you could say that all the C63 has is more straightline speed and will beat the M3 off the lights. Once the novelty of that has worn off then what??

:D

You can't say that though, it has allot of things over the the new m3.

1 -Rides better,
2- Sounds allot better
3- Drives allot better in the real world and you don't have to bloody rev the hell out of it to get it shifting.
4- It doesnt come with a chav label, lol.
5- more execlusive
6- it's an AMG, enough said!

I do love the m3's don't get me wrong, hence I went and got one but the C63 AMG just a better car over all..

If you've said C32 or C55 AMG then M3 all day long but mercedes took it to a different level with the C63.

Last edited:
Even the 'lower' performance C63's are streets ahead of an M3 for the road. Add in the PPP and Dr520 and the M3 is dust in the rear view mirror even sooner.

Have a m3 owner wanting to part ex his m3 against my c63.......................

You can't say that though, it has allot of things over the the new m3.

1 -Rides better,
2- Sounds allot better
3- Drives allot better in the real world and you don't have to bloody rev the hell out of it to get it shifting.
4- It doesnt come with a chav label, lol.
5- more execlusive
6- it's an AMG, enough said!

I do love the m3's don't get me wrong, hence I went and got one but the C63 AMG just a better car over all..

If you've said C32 or C55 AMG then M3 all day long but mercedes took it to a different level with the C63.

1. An M3 with EDC rides better than the C63 and actually rides better than the regular 3 series, it is pretty amazing. The oversized tyres help too.

2. Agreed.

3. This is where the C63 lets itself down for me, it is like the 335i I had in many ways, the 335i was mapped and would get to 60mph in 4.7 seconds everytime, it was a pretty amazing car with a map for very sensible money.
Faster than my CSL plus it was a dog carrier touring.

However......it didn't matter where you were in the rev range you hit that throttle and the car went, no fuss, no drama, just very bloody fast.
The M3 on the other hand made you work it more, you had to have it in the right revs to make it move, but there was always a sense of satisfaction, a sense that you had actually driven it.

The 335i while faster and easier to drive also meant it got pretty boring after 6 months, it was sold and replaced with a regular M3.

Different folks etc.

4. Round here I see far more blinged out Mercs than I do BMWs, every other car has tints and chrome and some 'elegant' looking chromes rim on it and they all seem to be AMG's too, looking at the amount of badges stuck all over them.
But I do agree the M3 does have a hooligan image in comparison and if I am honest is the main reason I sold my last one, was pulled over far too often.

5. Yeah, but there is a reason for that, the M3 outsells every other sports saloon because it is bloody amazing.
You buy a BMW M3 despite the badge these days, which is a shame.

6. I never buy anything because it's a .......
I buy it cause it's a good car.

+1

I'm seriously considering a swap very soon to a W212 '63 AMG.

It's a stunningly well engineered car....it just doesn't look as good as the 'C' in AMG guise.

Hi hope you are well,Chris harris has made the e63 he ran in evo his all time favourite ever long termer...................

Hi hope you are well,Chris harris has made the e63 he ran in evo his all time favourite ever long termer...................

Hasn't he just bought an E250cdi estate as well, as his own family car?

I'm sorry gizze but whilst you comparisons to an e46 CSL may be accurate, some of the below is misleading in comparison to an e92 M3.

1. An M3 with EDC rides better than the C63 and actually rides better than the regular 3 series, it is pretty amazing. The oversized tyres help too.

In comparison to a 2008-2009 PP equipped C63 maybe, but not the latest ones which have a ride comfort equal to the M3. What it does do is roll more compared to an M3 with it's EDC set to sport mode (hence I replaced the standard suspension in mine) so whilst the handling isn't as sharp, ride comfort difference is negligible.

3. This is where the C63 lets itself down for me, it is like the 335i I had in many ways, the 335i was mapped and would get to 60mph in 4.7 seconds everytime, it was a pretty amazing car with a map for very sensible money.
Faster than my CSL plus it was a dog carrier touring.

However......it didn't matter where you were in the rev range you hit that throttle and the car went, no fuss, no drama, just very bloody fast.
The M3 on the other hand made you work it more, you had to have it in the right revs to make it move, but there was always a sense of satisfaction, a sense that you had actually driven it.

The 335i while faster and easier to drive also meant it got pretty boring after 6 months, it was sold and replaced with a regular M3.

You cannot relate the difference between a 335i and and M3 to the difference between a C63 and an M3....believe me, I've owned both 335i and M3 (and now also have a 135i) and the C63 is far closer to the M3 than a (stock) 335i could ever be.

Engine wise, there is nothing an M3 can do that a C63 can't except rev an extra 1,200rpm - and even (and unlike the still fabulous '35i BMW's) then the AMG 6.2 is an engine that gives it's best right at the top of the rev range whilst still having monstrous torque at little more than walking pace.

Then you've got to consider there are some dynamic aspects where the C63 is BETTER than an M3...mainly steering. The steering feel is so much more consistent and you get real feel through the rim, the e9x M3 Servotronic is a lot more detached.

Therefore, whilst the M3 maintains a dynamic edge over the C63, the gap is minimal and each have their own strengths over one another. The C63 is a much less blunt tool than a 335i is (indeed, having not driven a '35i BMW for a while until I got the 135i a couple of weeks ago, I'm surprised just how far behind dynamically it is compared to the C63!)

5. Yeah, but there is a reason for that, the M3 outsells every other sports saloon because it is bloody amazing.
You buy a BMW M3 despite the badge these days, which is a shame.

Ahem...they also give them away in comparison to most other sports saloons. Big, big discounts are freely available and second hand ones are getting very cheap...something you cannot say of the C63 (just yet anyway!)

Despite all this, as a drivers car I still reckon the M3 still reigns supreme. It's just the C63, correctly specified, is not as far behind as some of the previous comments imply.

In comparison to a 2008-2009 PP equipped C63 maybe, but not the latest ones which have a ride comfort equal to the M3.

The only two I have tried is a standard early car and one with the PP.

You cannot relate the difference between a 335i and and M3 to the difference between a C63 and an M3....believe me, I've owned both 335i and M3 (and now also have a 135i) and the C63 is far closer to the M3 than a (stock) 335i could ever be.

Engine wise, there is nothing an M3 can do that a C63 can't except rev an extra 1,200rpm - and even (and unlike the still fabulous '35i BMW's) then the AMG 6.2 is an engine that gives it's best right at the top of the rev range whilst still having monstrous torque at little more than walking pace.

Sorry, I wasn't comparing a C63 to a 335i, I was saying having a load of low down torque and power on tap at any rev range isn't always the best thing on our roads, in some ways my old E30 325i was probably the most fun I have had from a car, you really had to work it and it rewarded you for getting it right.

By the way, I would have a C63 over an M3.

+1

I'm seriously considering a swap very soon to a W212 '63 AMG.

It's a stunningly well engineered car....it just doesn't look as good as the 'C' in AMG guise.

There was one sat outside the local the other night. If I hadn't walked up to it from behind then there was no way I would have known it was an E63. From the side and front I couldn't tell it was an AMG.

BUT, I would seriousl consider one just for the MCT box alone. They did a great job of making it bigger than the C without making it (much) heavier. That is where all these cars start to fall down is that they weigh so bloody much. That seriously ruins any kind of real sports-handling potential that they may have. The new M3 may well be considered the slightly sharper tool based on the fact that it is a couple of hundred kilos lighter than the C63.

There was one sat outside the local the other night. If I hadn't walked up to it from behind then there was no way I would have known it was an E63. From the side and front I couldn't tell it was an AMG.

BUT, I would seriousl consider one just for the MCT box alone. They did a great job of making it bigger than the C without making it (much) heavier. That is where all these cars start to fall down is that they weigh so bloody much. That seriously ruins any kind of real sports-handling potential that they may have. The new M3 may well be considered the slightly sharper tool based on the fact that it is a couple of hundred kilos lighter than the C63.

100% agree with all of this and it's solely the aesthetics that prevent me from pulling the trigger on an ex-demo E63 (buying a new one would be madness, they are hideously overpriced).

And weight....yes, it's the one thing that I notice in the C compared to my previous M3. I can only imagine how good the C63 would be with 200-300kg weight loss and a slightly more balanced weight distribution. Oddly, despite being another 150kg (ish) heavier, the E63 didn't feel it at all!

I'm actually on the prowl for something else and am going to look at a Maserati Granturismo 4.7S at the weekend...I think they look sensational, sound great (different to an AMG but great nevertheless) and are apparently very well made. But they are VERY heavy and I'm sort of expecting to be disappointed much like I was when I looked at V8 Vantages before I got my my current C63.

It's got a lot to live up to and will have to be something special to get me out of my car!

If only....if only.....if only.....they did the E63 in the coupe shape :wallbash:

100% agree with all of this and it's solely the aesthetics that prevent me from pulling the trigger on an ex-demo E63 (buying a new one would be madness, they are hideously overpriced).

And weight....yes, it's the one thing that I notice in the C compared to my previous M3. I can only imagine how good the C63 would be with 200-300kg weight loss and a slightly more balanced weight distribution. Oddly, despite being another 150kg (ish) heavier, the E63 didn't feel it at all!

Once inside the 212 the appearance is will cease to be an issue. The looks grow.

Maybe the 212 has a better weight distribution. Remember, was a C class really designed around having a large 8 cylinder engine in the front. The vast majority of them are 4 pots, either petrol or diesel.

The engine bay in a 212 will be larger, and more of the engines mass will be behind the front axle. The 212 probably suits the engine better.

I'm actually on the prowl for something else and am going to look at a Maserati Granturismo 4.7S at the weekend...I think they look sensational, sound great (different to an AMG but great nevertheless) and are apparently very well made. But they are VERY heavy and I'm sort of expecting to be disappointed much like I was when I looked at V8 Vantages before I got my my current C63.

It's got a lot to live up to and will have to be something special to get me out of my car!

If only....if only.....if only.....they did the E63 in the coupe shape :wallbash:

Lovely cars and I can see your motives but not the car for you. It will be slow and cumbersome in comparison to a C63 or M3.

Could you not get a boggo runabout like a 320d or a C220cdi and buy a used Ferrari F430 Scud or Gallardo of some description. V8 R8s are dropping, maybe a 911 GT3. If its solely a high end track car, a KTM exbow for sir and a C220cdi to tow it with?

I.e instead of once very nice car, a boggo nice car and a really special car for the weekends.

Just a thought.

The E class coupe is predominately C class based, you might find the handling may be more similar to the C63, and the engine as per my reasoning may not be the right one, dynamically, for the car.

Last edited:
Lol, I like your thinking Steve! Yes, I agree that the Maser probably isn't going to be right for me and yes, i have considered a track focussed car and a daily runner but I don't think I'll have the restraint and self-control not to drive the 'better' car everyday!

I'm going to look at the Maser if only to cross it off the list and whilst I'm talking of cars on 'the list' another one (a proper wild card this) is a Z06 Corvette. Crazy I know but thats another car that looks great (OK, that might just be my opinion), sounds great and is one of the quickest things on the planet....even the old tech leaf springs apparently keep it on the road long enough for one not to die!

The best bit about the Corvette option is I might just be able to get one and enjoy it for a few months (in all honesty, I know I WILL get fed up of it reasonably quickly) without needing to sell my C63 :crazy: Then, when the C63 coupe comes out later next year, I sell both cars and tell myself that I'm saving money by buying just the one car ;)

Honestly, I need help.....

The ZO6 is a good idea and it makes a logical sense, you wont lose much in depreciation. However for day to day thrills, a 212 63 saloon is an epic idea.

The clue for a good weekend car is for it to be fit for purpose. An Ariel Atom maybe, GT3 RS something you just wouldnt drive to work in.

Maybe the R8 is too civilised a car but you'd be better off looking at those than Maseratis, as nice as they are, they maybe are too soft for you.

perhaps the facelift C63 will get the MCT gearbox from the E63 and SL63.

E63 will probably get the V8 bi turbo from the S and CL class within a year or so. The 2nd Gen CLS63 will launch with the new V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom