MB C32 and VW R32

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a 1988 VW Passat 1.8GTi. It was a very good, well built car. If I move away from MB it will be for another VW.

I had a Mk2 Golf Driver it was great, we still run a Golf (Mk3) as an everyday car. Thinking of changing it for an A-class but not sure yet.

VW Service is superb, especially JCB Medway in Kent.

Like we know bad stories spread quicker than good. From all the shite I 've heard on here about crap MB dealers, I personally wouldn't turn my nose up at VW.

I think VW quality is very good and a Golf R32 hmmmm, I'll heep dreaming.

My VW experiences have all been good - like others I hade the series of Golfs - 1.3CL 2 x GTis (Mk1s - natch!) then Corrados before a brief foray with a Volvo then to the Mercs. So I'll say that the VW build quality is very good IMHO and I wish I'd kept my Red Mk1 ( 2.0 TSR engine, big brakes, gas shocks, lowered springs etc but bog stock bodywork - no stickers etc...)

The Mk4 felt a bit lardy to me - would think of the current Polo as the spiritual successor to the Mk1 and would like to see a GTi version of that;) but a 230BHP+ 4wD car would be nice to have no matter what the badge is! :bannana: :bannana:

R

I have had a few VW'S (not in the Biblical Sense...lol) all aircooled.
They were special Cars.

As it has been said, at the end of the day "it is a Golf" nothing special....no passion.

Joe

Originally posted by joe
I have had a few VW'S (not in the Biblical Sense...lol) all aircooled.
They were special Cars.

As it has been said, at the end of the day "it is a Golf" nothing special....no passion.

Joe

I'd disagree there Joe; I still keep in touch with the lads from Club GTi, and whilst the latest Golfs don't have the same fun quotient of the Mk1 and Mk2, they are decent motors and the R32 is certainly something special.

As for passion, check the Club GTi forum; there is *plenty* of passion there :D

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by Maff
R32 with the VW logo in the middle....... but no Golf badges :)

You may think you can take the R32 but i can tell you will have no chance... No matter what the stats say this is a ver, very fast car. I have an SL55 amg chipped to 550bhp, and that can not keep up with the R32 on any road but the motorway. I have had the R32 chipped as well currently running at 260bhp and 260lbs, and have timmed the car 5.6secs to 60mph and 14.2 to 100mph. It is fast enough to not get lost by an M3 on the motorway.

The SL55 may be fast but it gets i have to say it can not keep up with my S600 bi-turbo on the motorway. Effortless perfomance, and timed 0-60 in 4.3secs and 9.4 to 100mph. Its the streched wheelbase aswell :D

Anyway i just thought i should inform you snobs:devil: about the golf becasue it is a hell of a car and could whip your crappy desisel to sh1t. But then that is not what you bought it for was it:D

Originally posted by RichardM
Anyone think Toby is back?

it is half term, bless :)

a_dinae_think_so.jpg

Originally posted by Wheelie
I didn't know merc and vdub did performance peddle cars for kids!!!

Give Toby some credit , he has one of those battery powered ones.

I remember power wheels did a lovely Pink R129 SL for kids..

Originally posted by R32
You may think you can take the R32 but i can tell you will have no chance... No matter what the stats say this is a ver, very fast car. I have an SL55 amg chipped to 550bhp, and that can not keep up with the R32 on any road but the motorway. I have had the R32 chipped as well currently running at 260bhp and 260lbs, and have timmed the car 5.6secs to 60mph and 14.2 to 100mph. It is fast enough to not get lost by an M3 on the motorway.

The SL55 may be fast but it gets i have to say it can not keep up with my S600 bi-turbo on the motorway. Effortless perfomance, and timed 0-60 in 4.3secs and 9.4 to 100mph. Its the streched wheelbase aswell :D

Anyway i just thought i should inform you snobs:devil: about the golf becasue it is a hell of a car and could whip your crappy desisel to sh1t. But then that is not what you bought it for was it:D

Suspicious we may be, but that all sounds very fictitious. Please either verify some how or refrain from such novels.

Well I had the pleasure of being a passenger in an R32 during the week. Great car to look at, lovely interior, leather seats were astonishing.

The car looks good, sounds even better but really only goes like a WRX around town. The torque is more usable than the WRX (no turbo lag) and the acceleration was brisk. Love the throaty gurgle at idle, and as you back off on the throttle.

I asked if he was happy with the car and he seemed quite pleased, mentioning a few slight rattles that could probably be fixed a the first service. He was also dissatisfied witht he cup holder. :rolleyes:

I think that on the highway it would really take some beating. A golf with a 6 speed box and that much torque and power has got to move. Unfortunately I only got a lift home - no motorways.

The owner has recently had a boxter s and a tt with 320hp and seems to think that this is a contender on a "track" to these cars. He didn't mention much else, other than one of the fastest times this year at the nurburgring was recorded by an R32.

Originally posted by R32
I have an SL55 amg chipped to 550bhp, and that can not keep up with the R32 on any road but the motorway.
Originally posted by R32
The SL55 may be fast but it gets i have to say it can not keep up with my S600 bi-turbo on the motorway.
I see you have raced yourself with only two of your three cars at any one time! Please can you let us know how you got on racing yourself driving your R32, SL55 AND the S600, or have you found it difficult to successfully control all three cars at the same time? I bet having two automatic cars in the race helps. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by R32
You may think you can take the R32 but i can tell you will have no chance... No matter what the stats say this is a ver, very fast car.

wanna try your luck against a 1600 CRX at Santa Pod then wide boy :D

I've destroyed a couple to date - but then I suppose your cyberpals wont exactly be boasting about that though will they ??

Originally posted by R32
I have had the R32 chipped as well currently running at 260bhp and 260lbs, and have timmed the car 5.6secs to 60mph and 14.2 to 100mph.

On second thoughts -if thats all you can manage - dont bother turning up !!

Mark

This whole thing is easy to settle chaps.
You want four wheels and you want to got fast? And I mean good buy Mr porsche fast, Buy a Caterham/Westfield. Pop a rover V8 in it and zip tie your underpants to your body so you don't lose them. Who needs ICE with a soundtrack like that!!!

If you want to stay dry, then get a lotus exige. Nothing, and I mean nothing, corners like a lotus. This I know from experience.
However it does lack top end and those cheeky germans run you down on the autobahn.

You want to go fast and get noticed. get a WRX or Evo, and a tracker I might suggest. That said the Lotus always turned heads, you just needed to be a gymnast to get in it.

You want to be unnoticed and surprise people from the lights during the Green Light Grand Prix, buy an R32.

You want to go fast and carry two sets of golf clubs and your dog? buy a C32 AMG estate (or similar), oh, you want to take your whole house on holiday, try the E55 estate.

It is worth pointing out that Mr Clarkson (renowned MB owner) said out of a choice between the Ford RS, VW R32 and Alfa 147 GTA, he would have choosen the Alfa. He did add he would be on his way to buy the Golf but would get stop on the way and buy the alfa instead. Sorry VW. just a bit too sterile.

Remember gentlemen one thing,
Anyone is fast...
IN A STRAIGHT LINE

Originally posted by RSAmey
You want four wheels and you want to got fast? And I mean good buy Mr porsche fast, Buy a Caterham/Westfield. Pop a rover V8 in it and zip tie your underpants to your body so you don't lose them. Who needs ICE with a soundtrack like that!!!
This wee beastie will still be able to overtake you though! :eek:

z100_main.jpg

In November 2001, the Z100WR posted a 0 to 60 mph time of 2.8 seconds and a 0 to 100 mph time of 6.3 seconds using road legal tyres.

For the WR, twin 1200cc Kawasaki ZX12 engines are used, each producing approximately 190bhp.

Twin Kawasaki ZX12 engines (Z100wr), two sequential 6-Speed Gearboxes and a reverse gearbox.

http://www.tigerracing.com/cars/z100main.htm

Looks a bit like a caterham/lotus/westfield "seven" type car, but it's just a little bit different! As driven by Tiff Needell on Top Gear a couple of years ago - he seemed to like it a lot :)

This has been a wonderfully entertaining post, I need some of what R32 has been taking (had a bad day at work). My cars arn't fast but who cares? I do rather get the feeling though that this thread has been posted to amuse us all.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ian B Walker
I do rather get the feeling though that this thread has been posted to amuse us all.

Yep - I'm a 40 yr old kid and suitably amused :D

You want four wheels and you want to got fast? And I mean good buy Mr porsche fast, Buy a Caterham/Westfield. Pop a rover V8 in it and zip tie your underpants to your body so you don't lose them.

Love the V8's - but terminal speeds are dire in comparison to the competition - awesome acceleration though

You want to be unnoticed and surprise people from the lights during the Green Light Grand Prix, buy an R32.

No Thanks - I'll stick to the Rex :) - a few surprised faces over the last months - though I tend to keep it for the strip/track

Remember gentlemen one thing,
Anyone is fast...
IN A STRAIGHT LINE

I dont think the CRX is in Exige territory - but it does handle superbly - that was one of the main criteria for buying it

The Rex does everything I want in a fast car - but the SL does everythign in style - people dont notice the Rex - they definately notice the SL - surprisingly more so with the hard top on than with the soft top up ??

Roof down it just looks great - just not quite as great as Maffs ;)

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom