• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Meguiars Headlight restoration kit v 3M Headlight Restoration System

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Around a year ago, I tried the Meguiars Headlight restoration kit to try and improve the cloudy headlight lens that seems to affect a lot of cars.
At the time I was pretty pleased with the results, but over the last few months, the cloudiness is reappearing and against good bright lens, mine look awful.

This time, I have tried the 3M Headlight restoration system which is similar in price to the Meguiars kit. I found mine from an eBay seller for £22 delivered.

Unlike the Meguiars, you have 8x500 grade pads, 4x800 grade, 1x 3000 pad and a polishing pad. All are velcro backed to stick to a supplied backing pad with a drill attachment. Once ready to start, I used all the 500 and 800 grade pads dry before attaching the 3000 grade pad and wetting the lens with a misting spray. This gives the lens a good finish before the final polishing pad with a restoration cream is used.
From starting to mask the lights to finishing with polish and wax all 4 lens took just over an hour. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

The Meguiars kit from Halfords for around £20
20131028_152647_zpsc73bf1da.jpg

The 3M kit from eBay for around £22
20150912_142022_zpspcczmyok.jpg

Both lens before treatment.
20131028_145030_zps69ed75d3.jpg

20131028_145021_zps45177927.jpg

Finished lens after using 3M kit
20150912_154456_zpss2z9bsrz.jpg

20150912_154444_zpsgmctzrzy.jpg

If I have to do this again, I'll definitely use the 3M kit for far better results.:thumb:

Have you tried their Perfect-it polish on your bodywork? Not cheap (about £35 per litre) plus it's supposed to be used with a DA or mop, so you also need the correct pad, but I've seen a pro bodyshop (Lambos, AM's, Porsches, Bentleys etc) using it and thus tried it on my 968 with a Kestrel DAS6, excellent results.

Might have to get one of those headlight kits, the results are impressive.

^ I've not tried that Chris. Still battling on with AG super Resin Polish and a wax I can't recall the name of right now. Seems to do the trick but I'm always open to try new products.

Personnally I avoid SRP as it has so much chalk filler in it, you get white lines at so many places! I've been working on my cars with the DA and correcting fluid to get rid of the swirls/hedge scatches so I don't need filler in the polish, and after a good going over with AG Bodyshop 02B and, if the swirls are bad, 03B, the 3M Perfect-it (which is a 3K grit paint correction fluid as well as a polish) does the job well, I then top it with AG HD wax. Just remember to use 3M 1" (25mm) blue masking tape on edges if you're using a DA or mop!

Don't forget to re-seal the headlamps and periodically top-up.

Had the same problem on my Lexus RX and always used T-Cut........they came up perfectly but did need a light refresh every 12-18 months, but the finish was crystal clear.

Personnally I avoid SRP as it has so much chalk filler in it, you get white lines at so many places!

Yes I've noticed the white filler in the small stonechips where I've polished it. Never used a polisher yet so that's all new to me. I'll probably buy one next spring and put detailing down as another hobby:D

Got a recommendation for a polish without fillers that is applied by hand?
I use Fareclea (sp) G3 wax afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom