MERCEDES-BENZ (R129) SL73 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wonder what the ex-Brunei CLK GTR roadster they had on display at Brooklands is worth now. Only six ever made and this is the only one in RHD, with just 35 km (20 miles) on the clock. Sold for £616,000 in 2009 ...

View attachment 151651
⬆️ That’s the one I’d want too, stunning ⬆️

I like them before but having chance to get very close to this one, including on track, it got me hooked. This is a still taken from a video I filmed earlier this year in the pit lane at Donington Park. The car behind it is an E 63 tracking car which filmed it on track. Incredible.

1704723420052.jpeg

I’d rather have grey though 😁

For the money that it will inevitably attract you'd want it to be perfect, and there's a fair bit that doesn't sit quite right for me. The cosmetics especially feel like they've been put together after the event:
  • PF plastics on a facelift car
  • Breakers writing on the underside of the grille
  • Exhaust isn't a genuine part (backbox looks like Eisenmann)
  • Missing number plate plinth (but there are holes?)
  • Ducktail sits too high (should be flush to bootlid edge/light surround)
  • Centre brake light should be flush in the spoiler, which may explain the wonky alignment above.
Claiming originality for the veneer doesn't work, that went straight out the window the moment they did the paintwork. I have no idea what that windbreaker is meant to fit. The export papers from Singapore have an Aston Martin VIN on them. Also, did they unearth that spare from the bottom of a ditch?

I have no doubt it will sell, but there's definitely shenanigans afoot and that's not what you want for a rare car at over £150k

Last edited:
This is my car, so I can answer the questions that Doodle has raised.

The issue of the mix and match pre facelift and facelift parts has been raised before. You have to bear in mind the car is ex Brunei Royal Family and as such it can't be compared to a showroom model. The family ordered all sorts of wierd and wonderful creations that have never been seen before. What I can say, is that the car arrived from Brunei in this exact format. No parts have been changed or updated to alter the look of the car.

I have a feeling part of the explanation may be that its the very 1st SL73. The Sultan was AMG's biggest customer, so I would expect him to be first in line for everything. Certainly, I've not seen an earlier car, though there may be a few tucked away in Brunei!

It was a classic Brunei car that needed a lot of recommisioning. I've tried to stay true to the originality, but there were some items (such as paint) that had to be addressed.

Good spot re the grille. The original one was damaged and a used part was sourced. At the time I couldn't find a new part. Again, its the same part number as the original.

Exhaust is genuine AMG and as per how the car was delivered to the UK. Certainly there is no Eisenmann text on it.

True re the number plate plinth. I hate front plates so did not install it.

The ducktail had to be replaced as the original had perished beyond repair. I'll get the fitment of it looked at.

The wood veneer is personal preference. I do understand many would disagree with my choice though.

I haven't used the windbreaker or tried to install it. Again it came with the car. The Auction photographer who has his own R129 said something similar, so it may be that there was a mix up in Brunei and one of the other 100's of R129's in the collection has the one from this car. I assume the correct one is available to buy, in which case its a simple fix.

Re the VIN on the paperwork, another good spot! The chap In Singapore who helped me import the car to the UK made an error. He was also exporting a Brunei Aston Martin V550 Vantage at the same time and mixed the two up. All the other paperwork shows the correct info.

Lastly, no curry hooks or folding mirrors ;)

Last edited:
It's weird that they've changed the vented panel behind the front wheels. This isn't part of the AMG kit, but isn't required to make it fit either - the external shape is identical. Even by SoB standards, it's an unexpected addition although not necessarily unwelcome in terms of flow.

I don't believe Eisenmann systems ever have their name printed on them, it's the shape that is distinctive.
17697.jpg

AMG back box should look like this, visually the same as the normal exhaust except for the exits:
185899d1277595791-f-s-amg-muffler-r129-r129-amg-muffler-011.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the same car that a forum member bought a while ago?

You don’t often see one of this come up for sale!
It’s only done 1800+ miles 😲

I wonder what it will go for?

So do I. Watched the Chris Harris video last night and must say it seems a proper nice motor 👍 (not sure where he got the idea of a donor car from tho :crazy:)

Not seen one of these for sale in ages full stop, not to add, one this unique.

Very eager to know what this’ll fetch myself 👍👍

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's weird that they've changed the vented panel behind the front wheels. This isn't part of the AMG kit, but isn't required to make it fit either - the external shape is identical. Even by SoB standards, it's an unexpected addition although not necessarily unwelcome in terms of flow.

I don't believe Eisenmann systems ever have their name printed on them, it's the shape that is distinctive.
17697.jpg

AMG back box should look like this, visually the same as the normal exhaust except for the exits:

I'm out of my depth here, so will bow to your superior knowledge.
Can ony add that from memory, all parts of the exhaust are either stamped or have a simple metal plaque attached that says AMG.

I understand that some of the manufacturers used the Royal cars as prototypes and would debut future tech and ideas, so perhaps thats what was going on here.

So do I. Watched the Chris Harris video last night and must say it seems a proper nice motor 👍 (not sure where he got the idea of a donor car from tho :crazy:)

5728D09A-4B49-4FD8-921B-EF22170974B1.jpeg
Check this ad out from monkey years ago!
Think this was from 2011 but could be wrong, found it a bit back when organizing my magazines.

This is obviously the other RHD car (being 54k mile), but even then, wonder what something like this’ll fetch nowadays.! (Obviously subject to condition)

Thank you for sharing. Chris Harris said the same as me, a potential donor for a Zonda! 😁

View attachment 151667
Think this was from 2011 but could be wrong, found it a bit back when organizing my magazines.

This is obviously the other RHD car (being 54k mile), but even then, wonder what something like this’ll fetch nowadays.! (Obviously subject to condition)
I remember that car being sale. Should have had it!

For the money that it will inevitably attract you'd want it to be perfect, and there's a fair bit that doesn't sit quite right for me. The cosmetics especially feel like they've been put together after the event:
  • PF plastics on a facelift car
  • Breakers writing on the underside of the grille
  • Exhaust isn't a genuine part (backbox looks like Eisenmann)
  • Missing number plate plinth (but there are holes?)
  • Ducktail sits too high (should be flush to bootlid edge/light surround)
  • Centre brake light should be flush in the spoiler, which may explain the wonky alignment above.
Claiming originality for the veneer doesn't work, that went straight out the window the moment they did the paintwork. I have no idea what that windbreaker is meant to fit. The export papers from Singapore have an Aston Martin VIN on them. Also, did they unearth that spare from the bottom of a ditch?

I have no doubt it will sell, but there's definitely shenanigans afoot and that's not what you want for a rare car at over £150k
I’ve seen R129 duck tails mounted flush and with the same “gap” as this car. On cars with the gap, it appears to be a consistent size (never measured though).

I’m not sure why, whether it’s down to fitting or whether the dimensions were changed after production started - my gut instinct tells me the latter but it’s a guess.

This is my car, so I can answer the questions that Doodle has raised.

The issue of the mix and match pre facelift and facelift parts has been raised before. You have to bear in mind the car is ex Brunei Royal Family and as such it can't be compared to a showroom model. The family ordered all sorts of wierd and wonderful creations that have never been seen before. What I can say, is that the car arrived from Brunei in this exact format. No parts have been changed or updated to alter the look of the car.

I have a feeling part of the explanation may be that its the very 1st SL73. The Sultan was AMG's biggest customer, so I would expect him to be first in line for everything. Certainly, I've not seen an earlier car, though there may be a few tucked away in Brunei!

It was a classic Brunei car that needed a lot of recommisioning. I've tried to stay true to the originality, but there were some items (such as paint) that had to be addressed.

Good spot re the grille. The original one was damaged and a used part was sourced. At the time I couldn't find a new part. Again, its the same part number as the original.

Exhaust is genuine AMG and as per how the car was delivered to the UK. Certainly there is no Eisenmann text on it.

True re the number plate plinth. I hate front plates so did not install it.

The ducktail had to be replaced as the original had perished beyond repair. I'll get the fitment of it looked at.

The wood veneer is personal preference. I do understand many would disagree with my choice though.

I haven't used the windbreaker or tried to install it. Again it came with the car. The Auction photographer who has his own R129 said something similar, so it may be that there was a mix up in Brunei and one of the other 100's of R129's in the collection has the one from this car. I assume the correct one is available to buy, in which case its a simple fix.

Re the VIN on the paperwork, another good spot! The chap In Singapore who helped me import the car to the UK made an error. He was also exporting a Brunei Aston Martin V550 Vantage at the same time and mixed the two up. All the other paperwork shows the correct info.

Lastly, no curry hooks or folding mirrors ;)
Stunning car. It’s getting a lot of attention online and amongst some collectors I know, so you’re sure to do well. Wishing you the best with the sale 👍🏻

View attachment 151667

That car was sold to the Patina Collective in Florida in 2022.

On the '1 of 2 made in RHD' comment, The Sultan did have at least two others, but he chopped them up to make something called an Argento Vivo. It was a Honda Concept car that didn't make production, so he took two SL73's, hacked off the bodywork and created his own.

I understand the cars were never finished as the Asian Contaigen financial crisis hit in the late 90's and the party came to an end.
One of them was offered for sale many years ago as a project comprised of parts.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Image 1.jpeg
    Image 1.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Image 2.jpeg
    Image 2.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 12
Have you come by other Brunei. Are it ws this a one off?

Bit early to be hitting the booze Bobby :D

If you're asking if I have any other Brunei cars, then the answer is the 73 was part of a 3 car deal.

The other two are a 560SEC AMG (narrow body) and a R129 600SL AMG.
SEC is being restored at the moment and the 600SL is in storage and next in the queue

I’ve seen R129 duck tails mounted flush and with the same “gap” as this car. On cars with the gap, it appears to be a consistent size (never measured though).

I’m not sure why, whether it’s down to fitting or whether the dimensions were changed after production started - my gut instinct tells me the latter but it’s a guess.
I believe you're right on the latter - now that I think about it every time I've seen this, it's been on a facelift car.

89speedster - thank you for your candour. At this point I won't be bidding any further but I'm sure it will sell well.

That car was sold to the Patina Collective in Florida in 2022.

On the '1 of 2 made in RHD' comment, The Sultan did have at least two others, but he chopped them up to make something called an Argento Vivo. It was a Honda Concept car that didn't make production, so he took two SL73's, hacked off the bodywork and created his own.

I understand the cars were never finished as the Asian Contaigen financial crisis hit in the late 90's and the party came to an end.
One of them was offered for sale many years ago as a project comprised of parts.
Oh nice one! This is pretty interesting, and does strike me as something the sultan would have in his collection.

Thanks for the enlightenment 👍, learn something new everytime I pop on this forum :thumb:

Yup. FWIW this is the AMG back box on my SL500:

tips.jpg

This was sold by MB as an (expensive and therefore rare) accessory part for any R129 model. AFAIK it was only fitted as standard to the SL73.

Bit early to be hitting the booze Bobby :D

If you're asking if I have any other Brunei cars, then the answer is the 73 was part of a 3 car deal.

The other two are a 560SEC AMG (narrow body) and a R129 600SL AMG.
SEC is being restored at the moment and the 600SL is in storage and next in the queue
Imagine how bad my typing would be if I had had a shandy!

Are you keeping the 600 and SEC?

Imagine how bad my typing would be if I had had a shandy!

Are you keeping the 600 and SEC?

I haven't decided yet. The SEC is one of my all time favourite cars, but it only has 2,000 miles on it, so its not a car I can use unless I'm wlling to drive the value out of it. It's more suited to a collector, but maybe I'll squirrel it away for the pension and stare at it occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom