Mercedes dealership files for bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robbo, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Mudster

Mudster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    Nope, not old enough for that....the country managed to inflate it's way out of that one though...the same trick won't work this time.

I'm not wholly sure what's going to happen this time around, the banks have made an unprecedented mess of themselves...that's a bit of an oddity and is effecting ever single walk of life, not just manufacturing.

That's why I'm so pessimistic, the fundamental basis of capitalism is banking, and they are still in a an unholy mess, until that is shaken down then nothing much is going to get better.

Great Britain PLC operated on borrowed money, secured and unsecured. With no lending there's no spending....it's a chicken and egg situation which is now completely based on sentiment.....

We will simply have to wait until people and banks "Feel" better about the economy...on average this means we wait for the next generation of kids to grow into 20 somethings who all have no comprehension of what happened this time around as "It's different now"......add to that the number of people that have short memories and we ride the wave of bubble economy again.

We've got a year or two of hurt minimum...8-10 years of flat growth or stagnation, then off we go again.....

2. maddog

maddog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

We have decades of hurt , taxes will rise to unprecedented levels thanks to the government borrowing.

The next generation will still be paying for this !!

3. Vlad

Vlad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Mercs come and go
    Having been through the last two recessions, this does have all the makings of a big one...at least in the last recession the banks continued to lend.

The worst of this has at least 18-24 months left to run and I agree with Mudster that we are only just going into it.....there will then still be a lot of pain for many years after that with rising taxes, blah blah blah.

I wonder how long it will be before they start showing a map of the UK on the News showing how many jobs have been lost on a weekly basis, as they did back in the early 90's.

Batten down the hatches there's a S**t storm of mega proportions on its way

+ How long before there is mention of us joining the Euro?....with our national debt and falling output it does make Sterling look vulnerable and we may have to seek security within the Euro.

Good old labour...Boom to bust as per every other labour government and they can't keep laying the problems on the US....a lot of this is down to our own lax fiscal controls in this country.

4. jeremytaylor

jeremytaylor Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
    You obvioulsy haven't seen today's papers!

I take a contrary view on the outlook. Fundamentally there is demand in this country for land and everything built on it (simple supply and demand factors). If the banks could just lend more I think things would soon recover - quicker than many are predicting. Low interest rates make mortgages affordable (unlike the last recession) which I worked through.

But what do I know :eek:

5. kth286

kth286 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 Coupe
    ??

6. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I'm old enough to remember it, and the bit of a dust-up that happened in the South Atlantic to distract everyone ;)
    We have a fraction of the manufacturing economy that we had even in the early 1980's and much of that is now "international" in flavour, with relatively little value adding going on in the UK. Much of UK manufacturing was suffering heavily right from the start of this year as the cost of goods imported from previously low-wage economies in eastern Europe (where they had migrated much of their manufacturing activities to in the previous 10 years) spiralled upwards as the pound dropped against those currencies. Unusually large and rapid currency movements coupled with a tightening of credit worldwide is playing havoc with export markets. UK manufacturing (what there is of it) is not in good shape.

Add in the fact that our economy is very heavily retail / service-sector biased now - which is the bit that's heading fastest down the toilet - and I fancy that the next few years are going to be very unpleasant for the UK.

7. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Isn't that every ailing PM's Joker...a nice little war/invasion/crisis...

Maggie didn't leave the Falklands abandoned for no reason..;)

8. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    LOL

And she brilliantly engineered Galtieri coming to power too.;)

I think she got really lucky with that one. A year later and I suspect that she'd have been left with no conventional means of dealing with the problem apart from a submarine blockade of Argentina - and the fallout from actually enforcing that would have probably been unpalatable both at home and internationally.

9. Wish

Wish Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Maybe someone needs to point Greenoaks Mercedes to this topic.
    Very poor show that its still up, considering the title is so misleading and has been allowed to continue by the admin of this site .....

10. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    the topic has a question mark at the end.. its a question not a statement.

11. Alfie

Alfie Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
    I believe they are already aware of it.

Given the economic climate and the possible damage that even a whiff of something like this can do, if I were Greenoaks i'd be requesting formally it was removed.

12. OP
    OP
    Robbo

Robbo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C320 (W203) & A170 (W169)
    Hey,

I saw this subject discussed on another forum and I wanted to know whether they could be in trouble as they are my local dealer and I am planning to spend money with them possibly buying a car. I don't want to be left high and dry.

It was a question to the MB community on this forum not a statement.

As it happens, the rumour was false, but a very interesting general discussion about the recession has developed as a result of the question.

Chill out.