Mercedes in mass recall of late models.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect that Mercedes aren't acting in the right way. How can a Member of a third party that sells Mercedes cars be aware of the intent of MBUK in a court case, i'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Oh I think MB are very aware of Internet chat/YouTube/Honest John articles and -when necessary- react accordingly. But at the end of the day each of us are responsible for our own destiny when it comes to this problem and are keeping abreast of this ongoing saga using these sites as clearly we cannot rely on MB to keep us completely up to date.:thumb:

Spoke to my dealer about this and he said that someone who posted details of their crabbing on the Honest John site is being sued by MB for fraudulent misrepresentation of this problem!! Anyone else heard about this or is it just another ploy by MB to divert attention away from the issue?

It is very difficult to make these comparisons without knowing the details of the specific cases involved.

While the crabbing issue is very real, it is also not impossible that a frustrated owner did post deliberately misleading information amounting to fraudulent misrepresentation....... i.e., the two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to make these comparisons without knowing the details of the specific cases involved.

While the crabbing issue is very real, it is also not impossible that a frustrated owner did post deliberately misleading information amounting to fraudulent misrepresentation.......
Yep I think there's room on the bandwagon for everyone!!

I don't own a GLC but have owned four 4WD vehicles in the past - a Subaru Legacy, a Range Rover (nowadays referred to as the "classic" Range Rover), a Land Rover 110 County and a Land Rover 90 County. I don't recall experiencing the "tyre skipping"/"crabbing" that GLC owners are reporting. LR did warn drivers not to use full lock for more than 30 seconds at a time as it could cause damage to the vehicle - but that's a different issue.

This is a cut and paste of the most recent post on the "crabbing" problem on the Honest John website:

"1-3-2017: Report that Mercedes Benz has finally relanted and is now offering all GLC and CLC Coupe owners a switch to all season tyres (that mostly cure the crabbing problem) free of charge."

Last edited:
Spoke to local MB dealer today. Said letters to those affected will be going out next week...

Can anybody remember the Triumph Herald scrubbing on full lock turns? They used to kill the front suspension trunnions in 25k miles!

Ernie

I don't own a GLC but have owned four 4WD vehicles in the past - a Subaru Legacy, a Range Rover (nowadays referred to as the "classic" Range Rover), a Land Rover 110 County and a Land Rover 90 County. I don't recall experiencing the "tyre skipping"/"crabbing" that GLC owners are reporting. LR did warn drivers not to use full lock for more than 30 seconds at a time as it could cause damage to the vehicle - but that's a different issue.

This is a cut and paste of the most recent post on the "crabbing" problem on the Honest John website:

"1-3-2017: Report that Mercedes Benz has finally relanted and is now offering all GLC and CLC Coupe owners a switch to all season tyres (that mostly cure the crabbing problem) free of charge."

I think GLC owners using this forum probably know this already but there's a lot that don't and I wonder if MB will be writing to ALL owners offering this package?

I think GLC owners using this forum probably know this already but there's a lot that don't and I wonder if MB will be writing to ALL owners offering this package?

This is not an official recall. Given that it's classified by MB as a 'comfort issue' rather than a 'safety issue', MB are likely to take the position that this package will be offered to those owners who are dissatisfied with their car's low speed steering 'characteristic'. In other words, only to those who complain.

Besides, we're in March now, and I suspect that many of the affected AMG owners might not want to replace their performance summer tyres of choice with MB's offering of bland 'all season' tyres.

So does anyone have a list of the actual affected vehicles. Seems mainly US market models.

Plus all future owners as stated by MB below:

''Please also take the following action for customers who have ordered their car but have yet to take delivery, and for future customers of existing dealer and pipeline stock until further notice:
• Please make sure they are aware of this characteristic.
• Customers proceeding with delivery have the option to take All Season tyres as soon as they are available or to wait and change to them if/when they experience this sensation in Winter 2017/18.
• For customers who do not wish to take delivery of their GLC with summer tyres, please offer a courtesy car until the All Season tyres are available for their car.''

DRIVER200 said:
Plus all future owners as stated by MB below: ''Please also take the following action for customers who have ordered their car but have yet to take delivery, and for future customers of existing dealer and pipeline stock until further notice: • Please make sure they are aware of this characteristic. • Customers proceeding with delivery have the option to take All Season tyres as soon as they are available or to wait and change to them if/when they experience this sensation in Winter 2017/18. • For customers who do not wish to take delivery of their GLC with summer tyres, please offer a courtesy car until the All Season tyres are available for their car.''
I thought this thread was about the recall...

Besides, we're in March now, and I suspect that many of the affected AMG owners might not want to replace their performance summer tyres of choice with MB's offering of bland 'all season' tyres.

It is but we have gone off on a tangent with Mr Crabbie, but all's fair in love and war!!:thumb:

Winds me up how consumer law is so weak this side of the pond.

Stateside, any company affected by a recall will go out their way to publicise and make things as easy as possible.

Here's a VIN lookup on the MBUSA site, telling you about every recall that might affect your vehicle. Does anything similar exist here? Of course not.
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall

Maclaren (buggy, not supercar people) had dangerous hinges a few years back which could trap kids fingers and resulted in amputations. In the US, Maclaren recalled all units and fixed/replaced. Over here refused to admit there was a problem, and then when pressed sent out a cheap half baked fix. And yes, they are a British company.

</rant>

If I put the VIN for my UK spec Jeep into the main US Jeep website I get all the recall and 'program' info for it, it's all centrally managed and made public. As it should be.

I know MB are not alone in making it difficult for UK customers to get this sort of information but there are companies out there that do the right thing, much as they may dislike doing it.

Personally, I take the view that I should have easy access to any information of this natue that affects an item that I own.

We've now had a press release. It's a minor one hour fix, which should be rolled out in the next few months. As always, media hype!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've now had a press release. It's a minor one hour fix, which should be rolled out in the next few months. As always, media hype!

Why is it a media hype? Surely if there is a recall it is important to let people know?

Why is it a media hype? Surely if there is a recall it is important to let people know?

Of course, as with all recalls. I agree. Clearly media hype on many subjects is damaging though. I've had people on the phone today worried that their cars are going to set on fire though, that's not good.

Daily Mail is the worse one for exaggeration using all caps for catch FIRE, and inferring too much.

I have relatives emailing links to online news articles as if to warn me my car could instantaneously combust. When in actuality the engine has to be flooded so it is hydrolocked, AND the owner continuously cranks the engine in an effort to start it in it's hydrolocked condition (at least that is what I interpret).

In 32 years of driving never had a hydrolocked engine, though nearly in two circumstances almost had flood water up my exhaust pipes, when a country road looked like a stream.

Of course, as with all recalls. I agree. Clearly media hype on many subjects is damaging though. I've had people on the phone today worried that their cars are going to set on fire though, that's not good.

I don't think the media can be blamed for how people choose to interpret, not read, and react. It would have been a lot better if owners were already contacted by Mercedes. Can't be that hard to issue a letter to them and explain to their customers directly what is going on.

For a global organisation they really seem to be struggling with basic customer interaction on multiple fronts.

I don't think the media can be blamed for how people choose to interpret, not read, and react. It would have been a lot better if owners were already contacted by Mercedes. Can't be that hard to issue a letter to them and explain to their customers directly what is going on.

For a global organisation they really seem to be struggling with basic customer interaction on multiple fronts.

That's because the process in the US means that the NHTSA release info before the actual recall happens. Nothing to do with the manufacturer releasing info late. There isn't a confirmed recall for the UK yet, though it's expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom