Mercedes Vito Rust Warranty. This is what you get..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Social Media is the way forwards.....and it's not like they can deny it if you have actual pictures - perhaps a group "I've got a rusty Mercedes and am ****** off about it" and everyone join and post and share their experiences with MBUK customer services and the tales of rejection.....it's amazing the power these sorts of group things have these days :)

Bill says they don't rust...

Do you know what? I'm one of the earliest 120 owners and I've had everything go wrong with mine, but no rust? Mines a 2007 and I've had it from new. I've still got it and I love driving it and on long journeys, not a lot will come close. My biggest hate about it is that everyone keeps trying to steel it. Now I've got an old fashioned crook lock as advised by the old bill. No Alpine head unit anymore, they've had that and some w===er took my cup holder and change the other day, the joys of London!
My mate bought a 130hp Long wheel base Transporter at the same time as me and its a write off. He's trying to sell it now to one of those we by any van mob. It looks fine but the DSG gearbox has gone and get this, £4750 to repair with VW. No air con and as clonky as you like! My other mate bought a Vivaro. Wait till you get diesel pump in your injectors Nick, he let the authorities crush he's after Lewisham Council towed it from where it broke down, they are crapppp!!!!

By the way, I battered down to Rome and back at the beginning of this year and the van didn't miss a beat! Do that out of warranty everyone!! One funny thing that did happen though was the dash lights flickered along with all the electrical when I came through the Fejuis pass. The outside temp went from -5 coming into the tunnel and went up to 25 in the middle. It made me go all funny when I emerged out into midnight darkness the other side, thinking **** I shouldn't be here on my own. There wasn't another car for miles, I made it though! Ciao!

By the way, I battered down to Rome and back at the beginning of this year and the van didn't miss a beat! Do that out of warranty everyone!! One funny thing that did happen though was the dash lights flickered along with all the electrical when I came through the Fejuis pass. The outside temp went from -5 coming into the tunnel and went up to 25 in the middle. It made me go all funny when I emerged out into midnight darkness the other side, thinking **** I shouldn't be here on my own. There wasn't another car for miles, I made it though! Ciao!

Its probably the damp in the tunnel air condensing on the cold vehicle. Came through the Frejus last week. The car was dry on entering but within 2 minutes it was soaked in condensation.

its a mad tunnel! Mont Blanc is madder though!

its a mad tunnel! Mont Blanc is madder though!

The Frejus is much quieter which is why I use it. Last year french traffic news warned of 3 hour queues for the Mont Blanc. Mine was the only vehicle at the booth for the Frejus.

ringway said:
I apologise for the long-winded post.

In September I bought a 2008 Vito 120 Sport Dualiner. It’s a compact model.
I really wanted a Long Wheel Base version.
However, when I had a test drive, this Vito gave out better vibes than I’d experienced on other test drives, so much so, that I had to have it.

A major plus was that I knew a lot of people at the Mercedes dealership where the van was purchased and subsequently serviced. My sources at the dealership informed me that the Vito had never been abused and was serviced and maintained in line (actually ahead of) with the recommended intervals.

This Vito was company owned, but was used by the proprietor as a personal vehicle and never once conducted company business. Holidays, camping, golfing and fishing trips were the remit of this vehicle. The Vito was serviced (oil and filter) by the company mechanics every 5,000 miles in between visiting the dealership for scheduled servicing and maintenance.

Performance from the 3.0 V6CDI is smooth and responsive and I’m pleased I bought this vehicle. It’s fantastic!

Some pictures of my Vito 120 204 Sport.

As you can see from the images (it has had a mild polishing to remove any little swirls and scratches) this Vito is in fantastic condition.
A credit to its previous owner and commensurate with the care bestowed upon it.

However, all that glitters is not gold.

Since owning the van there has been issues with the bodywork.

A wet driver’s seat belt was caused by a leaking roof (pinhole size in the sealant on the join) which my Mercedes approved bodyshop kindly fixed for me.

The main issue though is the manifestation of rust above the chrome trim (above the number plate) on the tailgate.
This was spotted by the approved Mercedes bodyshop (they are NOT interested in warranty work) who stated that it was a clear-cut warranty claim.

When the van was 3, years and five months old, I contacted the supplying dealership and visited for an inspection of the corrosion (service history spot on and photographs taken).

After a few weeks had passed, I contacted the dealer, only to be told that the warranty claim had been rejected, because... wait for it... the corrosion had been caused by the chrome trim which is deemed as a mechanical part which is covered by a three-year warranty (the corrosion warranty on the Vito is 12, years).

The chrome trim isn’t functional and is (I’m reliably informed) an optional extra. I was told that if the previous owner had claimed before the three year deadline that the claim would have been approved. The chrome trim is a Mercedes factory fitted part, so even if the trim had caused the corrosion, it was a trim fitted by Mercedes themselves (I argued this point, but was told that the images had been sent to Milton Keynes and Germany and that a warranty claim was out of the question).

Before the corrosion was spotted, I had the Vito serviced (ahead of schedule) plus new discs and pads at the supplying dealer. I’m able to carry out the works myself, but was keen to keep the service history intact. The dealership that carried out the works and refused the warranty claim have yet to respond to my latest telephone call.

I can (will) have the tailgate repaired to the highest standard by Hanstons Bodyshop in Altrincham, but I’m certain that (unless absolutely necessary)none of my Mercedes vehicles will ever visit a main dealership again. I’ll use reputable indies, or carry out the works myself. Who does the maths at Mercedes, then? The lost business for my three Mercedes vehicles would far outweigh the cost of the warranty claim (for which they pay subcontractors very little).

The Mercedes Vito Dualiner shown above cost in excess of £30,000.00 when new.

I wonder what the salesman would have said if asked the question "will it rust after three years and if so what would the outcome be?"

I haven't ruled out persuing the claim further and do actually think I'll be successful in getting the warranty claim approved. I just thought I'd give our members an insight into the appalling attitude of Mercedes Benz customer service.

If BMW made a similar vehicle, I be off like a shot..

Thanks for your post ,I'm not going to buy MB Vito as I was considering it

GP801 said:
The Frejus is much quieter which is why I use it. Last year french traffic news warned of 3 hour queues for the Mont Blanc. Mine was the only vehicle at the booth for the Frejus.

I came through the Frejus around the end of January. We were delayed leaving Rome due to the lorry blockades, which then led us to get caught out by the heavy snow up the north of Italy. We weren't sure if any of the tunnels were open but we were desperate to get through to France. It was deep! And we were on the original continentals, but we didn't get stuck thank god! As you said, you can be the only one on the road up there, we were that night!

Had exactly the same corrosion with my Viano. Nothing wrong with either the Vito or Dualiner. The problem appears to be with the dealers. They seem very reluctant to submit claims for corrosion. Both vehicles are guaranteed for twelve years against corrosion yet I had the local dealer deny this saying it was only 3 years. Insisting on making a claim the dealer said it would be rejected. Heard nothing for a month and on checking discovered that they had not submitted the claim. Told them to submit it or else and the claim was accepted by MB. Speaking to the bodyshop was told that the tailgate would be stripped to metal and sandblasted and if perforated replaced. All new badges and good as new. Told that the problem arises because the factory tightens up the chrome strip too much stressing the metal and paint. When re-assembled spacers were put between chrome strip and tailgate. So it is a recognized problem the answer is to threaten the dealer not blame MB.

I had rust in exactly the same position and it was fixed by MB with no problems whatsoever, has it is a known problem. Don't understand why you are have so many problems. Whose the dearlorship?

I had rust in exactly the same position and it was fixed by MB with no problems whatsoever, has it is a known problem. Don't understand why you are have so many problems. Whose the dearlorship?

Oops. Sorry for the late reply. :eek:

The dealership is ENZA in Trafford Park/Warrington.

I had a call earlier this week from a new employee at the Trafford Park dealership who's job it is to get absent customers to return. I told her I no longer used the dealership unless absolutely necessary because of the refused warranty claim. She was optimistic that she'd be able to "Get something sorted". Nice lady, but she has yet to get back in touch...

I'll post some update images of the tailgate tomorrow. :(

I thought I'd update this thread.

The corrosion has gone from this...

VitoRustChromeTrim.jpg

To this. :(

8thJune2012013.jpg

Also, the other corrosion has festered.

8thJune2012046.jpg

8thJune2012045.jpg

And there's a New Kid on the Block.

8thJune2012018.jpg

All of the above point to the chrome trim (doesn't have to be a chrome trim) being overtightened and or the panel metal-pressing being too severe.

I wanted to install a reversing camera, but thought I would wait for the warranty pictures to be taken before removing the chrome trim.

This is what I found a year ago.

14thJune2012013.jpg

14thJune2012015.jpg

14thJune2012017.jpg

14thJune2012005.jpg

The chrome trim area of the tailgate is the only area on the whole van that has any signs of corrosion.

My Vito is over 5, years old and I don't see many in this sort of condition.

8thJune2012059.jpg

8thJune2012054.jpg

This Dualiner has been cosseted by myself and the previous owner and (apart from a hard to notice minor dent on one of the doors) is in tip-top condition.
"New Van?" some people say when they see it.

So, if you are considering buying a Vito or Vaneo, I should think it's a good idea to point the dealership to this thread before parting with your money.

I think you can clearly see the chrome trim has rubbed the paint and any galvanising off in those areas.
So you also have a design fault there, the rust is from the outside.
That will need sandblasting out and paint the tailgate again, also take the chrome trim of and bin it, colour code the plastic trim.

Paul is that metallic black?
I have a very good pair of mirrors colour coded, electric heated and folding if your interested.

I think you can clearly see the chrome trim has rubbed the paint and any galvanising off in those areas.
So you also have a design fault there, the rust is from the outside.
That will need sandblasting out and paint the tailgate again, also take the chrome trim of and bin it, colour code the plastic trim.

Probably not as easy to see in the images but although the chrome trim is at fault for some of the corrosion, some of the rust is actually coming from the inside-out.
It is under the paintwork. I think that the pressing of the metal panel may be a factor in this.
Also, the paint (water-based) and primer coats are so thin, I'd say they have little chance of preventing corrosion coming through.

Paul is that metallic black?
I have a very good pair of mirrors colour coded, electric heated and folding if your interested.

Yes. Obsidian Black.

The mirrors. I have electric/heated mirrors but not folding.
Believe it or not, I actually like the big mirrors sticking out.
They make a good marker for vehicles to miss when the van is parked.
When folded in, drivers are tempted to get that little bit closer to the bodywork. ;)

Thanks for the offer, though, Ian. :thumb:

As I said earlier on this thread the problem is caused by the factory over tightening the bolts that hold the chrome light holder. The previous Viano we had used to let water into the light shorting the bulbs out so the factory solution was to screw it up as tight as possible. Had the same problem of corrosion with the current Viano and after arguing the point with the dealer got MB to accept it. They do have a 12 year warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom