Mercedes Vito Rust Warranty. This is what you get..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only a year older....

rust_zps0fee294e.jpg

Sorry to hear of your problems. The chrome trim is a 639 Viano part, and (like the chrome grille) is standard on the Sport and Sport X versions of the Vito.

As an aside, there must be at least a small chance that the problem with your tailgate is related to the water leak at the rear you mentioned:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/123319-vito-mysterious-puddle-rear-tailgate.html

There isn't really any chance that the corrosion is related to the leak, Bill. The leak only appeared about 4, weeks ago and the water cannot drop inside the tailgate to the area of the corrosion. It just can't enter that area, but even if it could, I didn't design and manufacture the van, so it wouldn't be my fault. :)

I've heard that the corrosion above the trim is a known issue and that a 1mm transparent plastic film is inserted between the trim and bodywork after the repair has been effected.

Bill, I stand corrected on this one and it seems that (after developments on THIS thread and a penny or two dropping) your theory does hold water (not a deliberate pun, but it seems to fit in well). :)

Here's my tailgate/chrome trim rust issue.

Mine will have been a factory fit trim, October 2007

It's going in on Monday for tailgate repaint at a local MB Indy bodyshop.

Attachments

• image-1844105242.jpg
    image-1844105242.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 25
Here's my tailgate/chrome trim rust issue.

Mine will have been a factory fit trim, October 2007

It's going in on Monday for tailgate repaint at a local MB Indy bodyshop.

So, no chance of a warranty claim on a 2007 Viano with a 12 year corrosion guarantee then?

I know this one hasn't got the tailgate trim on but for a 54 plate you can't knock the condition...

ForumRunner_20140111_114720.jpg

ringway said:
So, no chance of a warranty claim on a 2007 Viano with a 12 year corrosion guarantee then?

I suppose there may well be a case - however the car has had non MB repairs on the rear arch (minor rust) carried out and the last owner didn't keep up to the full MBSH. I have only owned it for two months and perhaps should have spotted the tailgate issue when I bought it - but I missed it.

The Indy wants £200 to repaint the tailgate so I went for it.

I just wanted to post the rust for others to be aware.

I suppose there may well be a case - however the car has had non MB repairs on the rear arch (minor rust) carried out and the last owner didn't keep up to the full MBSH.

It doesn't seem to matter whether full MBSH is with a vehicle or not these days. The stock answer seems to be, NO!

So what's the best course of action with a brand new Vito which has the chrome trim as standard?
Should I get the dealer to remove it?

I think on the new ones they put a washer between the trim and bodywork to stop it rubbing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom