Migrating a .co.uk email domain name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Hello guys,

My current home office PC needs replacing - old, poor capacity, running Vista.

It has Microsoft Office Outlook 2003-2013 where I access my [email protected] email account.

If I buy a new desktop, what will I need to enable me to carry on using my [email protected] email account?

Am I right in saying that, unlike a Hotmail account, my [email protected] email can only be accessed via the home office pc, or can I access it elsewhere - currently when I'm away from home I can't access my emails - am I missing something?

as long as you have the correct protocols enabled, then you can access your .co.uk from anywhere you want.

All you need are the account details, then you can use outlook, webapp or even your smartphone email app.

as long as you have the correct protocols enabled, then you can access your .co.uk from anywhere you want.

All you need are the account details, then you can use outlook, webapp or even your smartphone email app.

Thanks Mark - what's that in English?

as a basic you will need
your logon account, normally your email [email protected]
your password, 123456
your server type, imap, pop3 or even exchange
the address for your server ie imap.developer.co.uk

Go into your current email system, and go to the account section, you will see everything you need there, apart from your password.

With these details you should be able to setup your email on another device and on a smart phone.

John, if you need help, I can assist you by using teamviewer.

before you break your old PC if possible, as that has the working configs.

and also possibly a current .pst folder.

Personally I'd suggest google apps or the Microsoft equivalent which means that your emails live in the cloud, get industry grade virus protection, and are not at risk if your pc fails... all for less than 1/8th of a tank of fuel a month.

In order to use Outlook on the new PC, you will need to either have the installation files and license key from the old Outlook available, or otherwise purchase a new copy of Ms-Office Home and Business 2016 (which included Ms-Word, Excel, and Outlook) or just Outlook 2016 (as standalone software).

As others said, nothing needs to be done on the email server side. All that is required is for Outlook on your new PC to have the email account configured in the exact same way as it is currently configured on your old PC.

All of the email current account settings can be manually copied across from the old PC to the new PC, apart from the email account password which you should have to hand as it cannot be copied from the old PC.

With regards to your existing mailbox' content (i.e. all of your old/stored messages), they will be in stored a local PST file which can be copied across as well. Said that, in some cases the local PST file is simply a copy of the email that is kept on the server (aka 'cached mode'), in which case the new email account will automatically create a new copy of the old/stored email messages on the new PC, i.e. in this case the old PST file will not need to be copied across. But this will depend on the email service provider and the way your email has been set-up.

If you can't find or remember an account setting or password, Mail Pass View is a handy standalone (doesn't need installing, runs as an .exe file) utility which will tell all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom