Mobile speed camera vans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It may read up to 10% higher than actual speed , but not lower by any amount .

They can actually over-read by 10% plus 6.25 mph (10 kph). So at an indicated 70 you could potentially be doing as little as 58 mph! 2-3 mph out is much more likely though :)

From a website called Motor Lawyers:

If you were not stopped by the Police and cautioned at the time of the offence, because for example your offence is one where the evidence has been obtained by camera, before any further action can be taken, the Police or Process Department, must serve a Notice of Intended Prosecution, commonly known as a NIP. The document has to be in a certain format and comply with certain regulations, as stipulated by Section 1 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

It will be assumed, unless evidence is brought to the contrary, that the prosecution has complied with these requirements and any challenge, whether it be in relation to the accuracy of the Notice, correct service or any other failing, is for the Defendant to prove.

Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)

Cracking app called CamerAlert will notify you of any mobile vans and speed cameras over your cars Bluetooth.

For clarity i believe my speedo in the L200 reads higher than my actual speed by 5%ish. This is by observation of the flashing signs when you enter some villages and by observation of the gps fed speed readout I can have displayed on my satnav.
Thanks for the info - I have at least another week to wait...............

I was doing 53/54 and I know my L200 speedo reads slightly lower than actual speed.

For clarity i believe my speedo in the L200 reads higher than my actual speed by 5%ish.

That makes more sense :thumb:

They have to serve the Notice or Intended Prosecution (NIP) within 14 days. If you think they have not you have to prove it. I got one 3 months after the event. I challenged it but Thames Valley Police said they sent it to the registered keeper in time. It was a company car. Apparently the initial notice has to be served in time but bouncing from InchCape to me had no limit! Took advice but was told to just pay it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom