Most interesting Taxi you've ever seen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In Northern Ireland I have to test my S500 LWB as a taxi because they don't have a separate license for my type of work. Have to borrow a full width roof sign just for the test.

Alan

In Northern Ireland I have to test my S500 LWB as a taxi because they don't have a separate license for my type of work. Have to borrow a full width roof sign just for the test.

Alan

I see you are in front of the Ramada in your avatar. What type of work do you do?

Went for a long weekend break to Bruges with Mrs B a few years ago. Stepped out of the station looking for a taxi rank - there was just a long line of E class Mercs. Surely this couldn't be it... (I expected the usual Mondeo or Octavia, tattoos, smoking cigarettes etc.)

Suited driver took us to hotel door in the town centre and carried our bags to the door... 5 Euros.

It's another world. I expect Germany is the same.

And oddly enough so is the exotic location of Woking in darkest Surrey.

Surprising number of fairly new E class and new Vito Taxi models knocking about.

Questioned the driver and he told me that the local council had banged in a requirement for EU4 and minimum 4 star NCAP safety rating vehicles

Theres a really nice new C Class tax around Sheffield. Not sure what variant, but it is one of the most sporty models.

There is also a really nice Lexus IS220d sport knocking about.

How come when i order one, its always a banged up old Toyota Carina!

Also, the past few times ive been on holiday in Spain, I've noticed and used, lots of E-Class taxis.

My dad asked the drvier about them last time and i cant remember the exact answer the taxi driver gave, but i think its something to do with the local authorites have some sort of contract with Mercedes (and varios other marques) so they get them at a cheaper subsidised price.

Last edited:
Most of the taxi's here in Skiathos are Mercs, there are a couple of Passats, some Skodas and 1 Volvo. We have a new shape S-class, a new E-class and new on the island yesterday was a brand new c-class.

Sounds like the taxi driver has been messing with the badges, its not the 1st time ether :) :

Fake S32 AMG taxi:
2824822196_3999ae5d2d.jpg

2823985771_acefe6140e.jpg

2824822436_536f2f3011.jpg

And a quad piped E55 AMG taxi (looks fake to me, non AMG sideskirts, and the tail lights look tinted, darker than the AMG darker version & no side badges) - could be wrong though...

e55taxi.jpg

I bet that E55 is quick on the Airport run!

A lot of San Francisco taxi drivers get given their taxis free by the manufacturers, at least they did a few years ago! The nature of the work and the environment it's carried out in make it ideal for R&D. One driver was telling me that there are strict servicing and repair conditions to gather data etc. Manufacturers stopped issuing them to the police, as cars were too frequently prematurely written off to make the research side impractical.

Skoda Octavias were offered very favourably to taxi drivers in this country when they first came out.

Sounds like the taxi driver has been messing with the badges, its not the 1st time ether :) :

Fake S32 AMG taxi:
2824822196_3999ae5d2d.jpg

2823985771_acefe6140e.jpg

2824822436_536f2f3011.jpg

And a quad piped E55 AMG taxi (looks fake to me, non AMG sideskirts, and the tail lights look tinted, darker than the AMG darker version & no side badges) - could be wrong though...

e55taxi.jpg

Interestingly TAZ 2286 was also issued in Northern Ireland in 1997.

I want to see a TransAm taxi lol

THat New York taxi is quite odd. nice way to avoid traffic

When i lived in Germany i got used to the usual e-classes ruling the Taxi world...one day i came out of the train station to see the first 4 taxis were s320cdi, s320cdi, porsche cayenne, Audi RS4 (older original estate)...

I once took a picture of an s320cdi we followed through Munich which was a driving school car and had a learner driving as we followed!!

Hi Adam,

Was it silver? Because there's a W202 in silver with C36 badges that I've seen nearby to you that looked like a taxi. It had a standard facelift W202 rear bumper on it though (didn't bother looking at the rest of it closely). I'm pretty sure it's just wishful badging though! :eek:

Will

It was black and V.clean, and the only reason i'm sure is because it was faster than mine (and there's only 2 w202's cars that can do that, the c36 and c43). And yes, i know about that silver C36 near my area, i usually see him on the A30 and his is definatgely a fake :D

Take me to The Priory please.

Attachments

• E-Class Ambulance.jpg
    E-Class Ambulance.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 214
Saw this in Samedan, near St Moritz, earlier this month.

3710239659_6150d65f9d_b.jpg

Saw an asian cabbie in a plated black 07 reg Merc R320CDi Lwb- blimey , i thought a top of the range Avensis.Accord was the limit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom