• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Most wonderful options for a new W211

Can't argue with you here hawk20, if you can afford it you have the best of both worlds....to sum up the avantgarde rather than the elegance does it for me. I also love the 4 zone digital climate, and would go for parktronic too. Good luck with your purchase.
We have the Avantgarde with comfort suspension which to me is the ideal set-up :) :)

Regards
John

Hello again folks, have been off-line for some time, but this tread i like :-)

Lovely to read about the road-standard in UK. Welcome to the western part of Norway, if you want to learn about bumby roads (remember bring your tractors)

Since i have airmatic i guess I have the "best of both world". When driving in Comfort this summer my wife and kids became sick, but when choosing sport 2 everything went much better. The only thing that worries me is the costs if the airmatic fail some day.

When driving whit kids in the back Thermatronic is to recommend. We are four person in this family, all of us want different temperature.

I have, as Glojo, a sliding floor in the back. Guess the only time I need that is to transport a washingmachine. To pitty, I had to buy a new washingmachine 14 days before I got my car, so this is just some funny gadget when I want to show off - which I do as often as I can :-)

Can also recommend ventilated sets and memorypacket. But what i`m most satisfied whit, and thats not mentioned here, is keyless go. From now on i would never buy a car whitout this.

And at last, if you have kids integrated children seats is a must, IMHO.

Keep up this very informative forum, I`m glad i found it

Last edited:
OK, if it helps any, I went from an E270 S211 Avantgarde with virtually nothing to an E500 S211 with just about everything. Here's what I've found.

COMAND. Necessity. Couldn't live without it.
Luxury Climate. Nice. The extra rear vents are a real bonus with rear seat passengers and evening out the temperatures.
Sliding boot floor. Yep, great for sitting on whilst having a brew. Breaks up long journeys nicely. I keep a flask - hate motorway service prices.
Electric tailgate. Yep, no more mucky hands from closing a less than clean tailgate. Works like a champ, even with a well loaded boot.
Airmatic. Wouldn't have it any other way. Much smoother than standard self levelling. The lift is also handy for grassy lanes (I shoot and have dogs)
Memory seats. Set it once and forget it forever. Fantastic. Also like the easy in/out features of it including leccy steering column.
Parktronic. The ultimate aid to preventing parking dents/scrapes. I have it front and back.
Nappa leather. Much nicer than standard mercedes rhino hide
Distronic. Much better than speedtronic. Can be used safely on busy motorways. But, doesn't work in heavy rain or spray. Also makes the grille a bit messy IMO.
6CD in dash. Saves digging around in the boot. Better than a cubby hole which never gets used.
Keyless go. Love it!! Would always have this option if ordering from new.
Electric sunroof (rare). Nice if you like the extra light. Great to help keep the car cool when parked up - heat rises out of the tilted roof.
Logic 7 harmon Kardon sound. Yeah, if you like music nice and loud. Lose a bit of storage in the boot due to the subwoofer.
Heated front seats. Always make me feel like I've wet myself. Would rather have a cold ar5e personally.
Fire extinguisher. Like I'm ever going to use it. That's the job of the Fire Brigade who are much braver than me.
Wood/Leather steering wheel. Nice but not quite 300 quid nice.

Linguatronic - not got it :( The tight git who ordered my car new obviously couldn't afford it ;)

Anyone know what other options I'm missing please?

Personally I would go for Elegance as the walnut and leather look spells pure luxury to me and the dials are much nicer than the rather naff silvery ones on the Avantgarde IMO.

Nah, i have the Avantgarde. Maple wood looks great as does the wood/leather steering wheel in my W211. Very classy.

Sometimes the wood in the Elegance can look "gaudy" and distracting..

Distronic. Much better than speedtronic. Can be used safely on busy motorways. But, doesn't work in heavy rain or spray. Also makes the grille a bit messy IMO.
6CD in dash. Saves digging around in the boot. Better than a cubby hole which never gets used.

Is the W211 Distronic different from the W221 in rain? I would not expect so. I've never been at so strong rain that distronic had stopped operating. I believe I've once got a message when the nose got covered by show slush (I've had slush often at the nose but a bit of it is still fine).

I didn't read the full thread but the new W211 with the new Comand has a memory card slot and I believe it can play music from the HD too like a W204. The CDC isn't that important then.

Regarding the CD changer then yes it is a nice option but for those lucky enough to have COMAND then one DVD will hold more music than six CD's. ;) If we are talking Mp3 format then we are talking in excess of over one thousand tunes! :) Something not to be scorned at and it will take some journey to outlast that length of music.

Regards
John

What if your the sort of chap who just listens to the radio?
Then you will find it very difficult to stuff a CD in the gap between the dash and the radio :devil: :)

Regards
John

OK, if it helps any, I went from an E270 S211 Avantgarde with virtually nothing to an E500 S211 with just about everything. Here's what I've found.

COMAND. Necessity. Couldn't live without it.
Luxury Climate. Nice. The extra rear vents are a real bonus with rear seat passengers and evening out the temperatures.
Sliding boot floor. Yep, great for sitting on whilst having a brew. Breaks up long journeys nicely. I keep a flask - hate motorway service prices.
Electric tailgate. Yep, no more mucky hands from closing a less than clean tailgate. Works like a champ, even with a well loaded boot.
Airmatic. Wouldn't have it any other way. Much smoother than standard self levelling. The lift is also handy for grassy lanes (I shoot and have dogs)
Memory seats. Set it once and forget it forever. Fantastic. Also like the easy in/out features of it including leccy steering column.
Parktronic. The ultimate aid to preventing parking dents/scrapes. I have it front and back.
Nappa leather. Much nicer than standard mercedes rhino hide
Keyless go. Love it!! Would always have this option if ordering from new.
Electric sunroof (rare). Nice if you like the extra light. Great to help keep the car cool when parked up - heat rises out of the tilted roof.
Logic 7 harmon Kardon sound. Yeah, if you like music nice and loud. Lose a bit of storage in the boot due to the subwoofer.
Heated front seats. Always make me feel like I've wet myself. Would rather have a cold ar5e personally.
Fire extinguisher. Like I'm ever going to use it. That's the job of the Fire Brigade who are much braver than me.
Wood/Leather steering wheel. Nice but not quite 300 quid nice.

Linguatronic - not got it :( The tight git who ordered my car new obviously couldn't afford it ;)

Anyone know what other options I'm missing please?

Folding mirrors
Ipod
Amg sports kit
Heat reflecting glass
Phone pre-wire
TV
Xenons
Tow Bar

Got to get Keyless Go - a must, regarding airmatic the firm setting is not that hard compared with other makes, however it does provide self levelling which is well worth having.

I'd also go for the best sound system - but worth listening to as only your ears can decide.

I'd also suggest phone pre-wiring as long as you have a phone the system accepts.

And of no benefit - lighting pack (can't remember the official name) but looks great at night. Some members have stated you don't get as much with this option as when the W211 was first released, so your mileage may vary.

Finally - is it getting close to the next model E-Class to purchase new now?

Mike

Dynamic comfort and ventilated seats....... escpecially if getting black interior. My uncle has this on his s class and its great for rapid cooling when visiting the continent.

With regard to the new E, I think the estate is going to be released much later so still some mileage in purchasing a new one........

I have seen the very funny footage of Clarkson playing with this option in the S-class, but I would recommend you watch this same person playing with it in his own SL55AMG!

John do you have the you tube links or ep / series info pls

TIA

And of no benefit - lighting pack (can't remember the official name) but looks great at night.

Is it Ambiente-light you have in mind?
I guess thats what they call the light in the roof coming on when its dark.

Btw, is there an option to set the light under the seats on while driving, or are they just coming on when the doors are open?

I like that, but thought it was standard on E classes. Has no one mentioned the must have over all else. Automatic transmission. There are some without it.

Hello!

Considering a return to MB after their first go at new E-Class broke my long history of E-Classes back in 2004.

So I'm sitting plotting an order for a new E-Class Estate (Elegance).

It will def have ..., electric chairs,...

Given MBs skill at wiring up their cars, that could way too easily become a reality :D

Btw, is there an option to set the light under the seats on while driving, or are they just coming on when the doors are open?

Something like - used to have downlights in the mirrors, not sure if that still exists though.

John do you have the you tube links or ep / series info pls

TIA
This is the SL55AMG review and he uses the Linguatronic without any fuss or hassle at approximately 2:52 min.

I'll let you Google Youtube for the S-class Linguatronic where he slaughters the system. :)

Here is the latest positive S-class review for the Linguatronic at 2:20 min

KEyless go is definately the way to go, its so much easier than fumbling for keys all the time. Although you will find yourself walking up to your front door and expecting it to unlock when you get to it. Sunroof is nice,

I like heated seats, also consider vented seats if you are going to take the car to southern europe for the summer. Multi CD is must have, as is command and xenons. Parktronic is also essential. I was impressed by the airmatic suspension the last time I drove an E class with it fitted but not much difference in terms of comfort compared to Elegance standard fit.

I personally like the avantgarde in grey with the light stone leather.

I sell used cars for a living so the above is a mix of personal taste and what sells best. :D

I personally like the avantgarde in grey with the light stone leather.

I sell used cars for a living so the above is a mix of personal taste and what sells best. :D

Finaly a salesman whit good taste :-)

Let me see, I do have:
Cubanite silver, sierra grey lether heated and ventilated seat in front, memo Chair, airmatic, sunroof, 4 sone climate, Comand, parktronic f/r, integrated children seats in the rear, webasto, sliding flor in the back, keyless go.

So I guess I have a popular car when I`m going to change in the future.

What i miss i telephone and maybe cd-changer. But if I manage to burn mp3`s to dvd, I guess I never will play cd`s again. Linguatronic don`t come in the norwegian language, and I will hardly start to talk english or german while i`m driving ;-) (I no, off topic in a english forum) Next time I will consider Distronic, but I`m not sure if this is good enough to register motorcycles in front of you yet. But guess the new verion of Distronic is improved since the first version came.

But I do consider to update my speakers to Harman Kardon, will that be an expensive operation?

Next time I will consider Distronic, but I`m not sure if this is good enough to register motorcycles in front of you yet. But guess the new verion of Distronic is improved since the first version came.

If you look at the car manual, it has several warnings about scenarios where Distronic may not work, motorcycles included. In practise the issue would only appear if the motorcycle was very close to the car and far on either side. The new one is better, not by the main radar but from the additional ones on the bumpers that can fill up the short range. I have only driven the Distronic Plus one but I doubt motorbikes would be any issue at normal traffic. In any case, where do you actually approach a motorbike, the ones I see are all pulling away at twice the speed limit velocity. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom