MPG with different brands of Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RTaylor

Car
B Class (W246)
Well, first long journey in the new car this week and noted some surprising differences in consumption

Filled up at Tesco in Bournemouth and headed up to Scotland on Thursday, 480 miles at pretty much 70 mph all the way and I got 54 mpg

Return journey, same mileage and speed, 48 mpg , Sainsburus Diesel, only other factor prob 3 or 4 degrees cooler on average, seems odd ?

Think I will avoid Sainsburus fuel in future much

For my job I analyse vehicle MPGs, all diesel vehs, temperature makes a big difference to fuel consumption, watch your MPG go up as the temperature rises when Spring finally makes an appearance. You can get an increase by using say shell ultimate, but whether the increased cost is worth it, is open to question.

I don't find any difference when using premium products, in fact I'm sure my car gives less mpg when using Optimax than when using regular Shell or Tesco diesel.

I used Optimax once. Damn car drank the stuff like is was John Smith's Smooth. MPG was about 5 down on normal. That was my 210 300TD. Never again will I use Optimax. Asda is about 3 pence per litre cheaper than my local "name brand" Esso so I'm putting Asda fuel in at the moment and not noticing any real drop or improvement in MPG.

I used Optimax once. Damn car drank the stuff like is was John Smith's Smooth. MPG was about 5 down on normal.

I'd say that is my findings also.

Temperature seems to make the biggest fluctuation in MPG figures.

Nowt wrong withTesco diesel.........

A chap on another forum did extensive research and seemed to show convincingly that you get more MPG using big name fuels Shell - Esso - Texaco etc than supermarket fuels such as tesco and sainsbury - seem to remember the Branded had additives that supermarket fuels didnt allowing them to charge a little less.

Scientific rigour, anyone? :rolleyes:

There's far too many variables and too much noise to jump to the conclusions that people are doing here.

I tracked my FE on my old LPG Mondeo, filled up from the same depot every time, driven on the same commuting route in the same style, not trying to prove any specific theorem - and the results were still noisy, with high- and low-frequency variations over time.

If you know what you're filling up with, and you have even the vaguest notion of what economy changes that fuel will bring, your results are invalid as your driving style - conscious or not - is one of the most significant variables.

I don't really care, life is too short to worry about mpg and where I fill up but I do avoid tesco,sainsbury,dodgy cheapy places as such

It could have been that the fuel supplied in Scotland had cold weather additives and the south coast stuff was summer grade, that could easily make the difference, but as has been said just one run is difficult to make a firm judgement.

I thought cold engines ran better? I don't really care what fuel costs, or what I burn, but have also noticed poor performance on the Optimax stuff.

I used Optimax once. Damn car drank the stuff like is was John Smith's Smooth. MPG was about 5 down on normal. That was my 210 300TD. Never again will I use Optimax. Asda is about 3 pence per litre cheaper than my local "name brand" Esso so I'm putting Asda fuel in at the moment and not noticing any real drop or improvement in MPG.
The only requirement I have is that the station takes nectar card so usually Sainsburys or BP.

Funny enough both our cars in the UK I tend to use Morrisons, I would use any 'own brand' value stuff if it worked :)

However the other day I filled my wifes with Shell (not the posh stuff) just the normal range. However I also pumped the tires up.

The car is doing much better now on Fuel, probably 2 - 3 mpg more however I think probably more down to the air in the tyres than the fuel?

I will have to try mine, see what it does.

A chap on another forum did extensive research and seemed to show convincingly that you get more MPG using big name fuels Shell - Esso - Texaco etc than supermarket fuels such as tesco and sainsbury - seem to remember the Branded had additives that supermarket fuels didnt allowing them to charge a little less.

I will repeat what I have expressed before.

If the benefits of these fuels were *tangible* companies like Shell and Esso and Texaco would be shouting it out.

Instead they hide behind the same sort of fuzzy warm meaningless language as the cosmetics industry. The words *infer* a benefit but don't say anything they'd have to back up in court or to the ASA.

To me that screams of of snake oil.

I find the economy aspect of John Smith's Smooth to be remarkable.

I wouldn't drink the stuff if it was served up in golden goblets by angels of mercy!

I will repeat what I have expressed before.

If the benefits of these fuels were *tangible* companies like Shell and Esso and Texaco would be shouting it out.

Instead they hide behind the same sort of fuzzy warm meaningless language as the cosmetics industry. The words *infer* a benefit but don't say anything they'd have to back up in court or to the ASA.

To me that screams of of snake oil.

Tis true......I won't go into too much detail but I know one of the largest manufacturers of vehicles uses the cheapest fuel available from its suppliers that meets EU specs at its test pumps, this fuel is tested to comply of course but it is then used in dyno testing and certification work, there are no magic ingredients, if there were they would be using that fuel for the EU economy testing ;)

ASDA stuff works well....usually the cheapest also....well around here it is!

I thought cold engines ran better? I don't really care what fuel costs, or what I burn, but have also noticed poor performance on the Optimax stuff.

Thats more in relation to cold damp air taken in rather than a cold engine. Its also for the benefit of performance not mpg.. Well on a petrol engine anyway..

Thats more in relation to cold damp air taken in rather than a cold engine. Its also for the benefit of performance not mpg.. Well on a petrol engine anyway..

I did wonder that as i posted. Makes sense I guess.
I am not noticing the difference of ultimate unleaded in my new car that i have felt in older cars.
Maybe its in the mind!

Funny enough both our cars in the UK I tend to use Morrisons, I would use any 'own brand' value stuff if it worked :)

However the other day I filled my wifes with Shell (not the posh stuff) just the normal range. However I also pumped the tires up.

The car is doing much better now on Fuel, probably 2 - 3 mpg more however I think probably more down to the air in the tyres than the fuel?

I will have to try mine, see what it does.

Morrisons diesel is the only stuff I won't use, seems to make my cdi sluggish, smokey and noisy. All the other supermarkets fuels seem ok.

Boxbrownie the reason why it runs ok on Asda Diesel is tat its pulled out of the Esso depot at Purfleet.

The big name brands add additives to there fuel to help fuel economy and help keep the engine clean.

The change over period for winter to summer grade diesel is usually around the middle of march and the middle of october for summer to winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom