MSL CLS63 AMG TTE900 Turbo Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Soon your signature will be longer than most of your posts
Can you still see signatures as they haven’t shown up for me since the forum platform was changed recently?

With a few options now out in the market for turbo upgrades on the M157 5.5 biturbo engine, but not so many in the UK, Acid at MSL has taken the initiative to explore these options further, by actually doing them.

There are some proven examples already in the UK with Weistec turbo upgrades, including the amazing E63 owned by Alps (plus many additional associated upgrades) and previously with Daventy. More recently MSL completed another Weistec W3 Turbo upgrade on an ML and has plans for a complete W4 upgrade coming very soon (exciting stuff).

There are now also other manufacturers such as Pure Turbos and TTE offering similar turbo upgrade packages, and this is where I come in.

In a conversation with Acid many months ago he mentioned he’d been looking into these companies offerings as they’d contacted him also, and whether they were as good as they stated. There were a few cars that had been converted (Europe and US) with good results, so Acid got back in touch with them directly to explore in more detail upgrade options for customers like myself.

After doing a bit of research myself, plus some gentle persuasion from Acid, we agreed to go for the TTE900 upgrade.

So the car was dropped off last week and the work started. Part 1 will be to install the TTE900 turbos, but as you will see from the pictures the work isn’t straight forward, as the turbos use 6 of the 8 cylinders, as from research then when running over 800bhp the stock exhaust manifold is restricted, so by routing 2 away from the turbine housing the issue is alleviated and more boost can be made....we’ll see. With this in mind a fair bit of fabrication needed to be done to the new Downpipes, which as you can see in the pictures has been done. This is great work by Imran at Torqueflow.

Meth injection will also be added....

Acid and the team at MSL have been brilliant, with regular progress updates. Importantly as this is the first TTE conversion they want to get it right, as this will pave the way for future upgrades of this type to many customers.

I’ll keep you updated, but please see pics below of the progress so far;

Engine Out....
View attachment 74259
Turbos in place to allow measurement for downpipes modification and fitting.....
View attachment 74260
Downpipes adapted to accommodate cylinder 4 sole outlet, which also required single branch manifold plate manufacturing. Measuring done to ascertain accurate fabrication, then temporarily welded before more fitment checks and final welding in place.

View attachment 74261 View attachment 74262
View attachment 74265
View attachment 74266
View attachment 74263 View attachment 74264
Position and fitment completed, so next up the welding was completed and it’s ready to fit back onto the engine.....
View attachment 74268
wow that will be one mad beast :)

So i presume your taking afr readings from the exhaust tips, how are you getting a correct reading as if more fuel is being added the 2 cylinders which are running na will be rich in comparison to the 6 forced induction ones and there may be a lean issue on these 6 which are being masked by the 2 na ones?
I take it you are running 2 fpr’s 1 for the na cylinders and 1 for the 6 forced ones? Or is there ports for screwing in widebands just for mapping to get the afr’s right?

So i presume your taking afr readings from the exhaust tips, how are you getting a correct reading as if more fuel is being added the 2 cylinders which are running na will be rich in comparison to the 6 forced induction ones and there may be a lean issue on these 6 which are being masked by the 2 na ones?
I take it you are running 2 fpr’s 1 for the na cylinders and 1 for the 6 forced ones? Or is there ports for screwing in widebands just for mapping to get the afr’s right?

What runs N/A? It’s an exhaust manifold you’re looking at not an intake. Jesus H Christ.

What runs N/A? It’s an exhaust manifold you’re looking at not an intake. Jesus H Christ.

I know that! Have just never come across a set up like this before and had a brain fart when i seen it, of course it makes no difference whatsoever

Cyclone1, full kudos to you for the work you’ve had done, you are literally testing the limits of the 55 bi turbo engine and that car and pushing boundaries. It’s not my fave CLS design, but you sir have an awesome, unique and totally bonkers car.

Quick Update

The car is running fantastically well and has now done 3k miles since the conversion :):cool:

Still have the Water Meth Kit to install and then final mapping because of this.

Can’t emphasise enough what an impressive upgrade this is.

Jules

And I reckon if you put wings on it you’d get to the moon ha ha. :D

Yeah water meth kit and more mapping cause 906bhp is just shit
It can make more power and torque without meth, but with it this will give more flexibility for running very low boost like it currently is, which helps mechanical safety and may allow a touch more bhp/torque without further compromise......

Sorry havnt read the whole thread but at what point will the box give up?

Torque capped on mine at 900lb/ft so no more than a normal remapped car, of which some have been running 30k plus miles.

On checking the US conversions around 900bhp / 950-1000lb/ft plus increases the risk of early failure on the std box, albeit a few are running this and more with currently no issues. One of the more prominent US companies doing these conversions have seen the best results on the std gearbox, running at 950wtq (1120lb/ft) with no dyno issues, but do not run this much for the road / track as traction is impossible. There are some upgrade options but with mixed reviews and only the GAD option (massively expensive) holding over 1200lb/ft or 1000+wtq.

I suppose you can look after the box too, no silly launch controls or standing starts with a car full of mates. Get the heavy car gently propelled and once you have the momentum in 3rd and 4th then let rip. You’ll run out of road anyway wherever you drive.

Would think a few launches with 900lb/ft are fine. I don’t really thrash it from a standing start but time will tell. Can’t see it being any different to a remapped car, if anything mine will be better as the 900lb/ft is higher up the torque curve and progressive, unlike a remapped car where it peaks much lower.

Impressive.
Like the way you have custom mapped.
What is the estimated top speed of the gearbox in its current form.
I think the mod bug may bite further down the line as you familiarise yourself with the car.
Sure as hell going to embarrass a few cars while rolling along the autobahn at seventy.
Great work :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cyclone1 I obviously hope you keep your car forever, but when it comes to getting rid, someone is going to have one hell of a car when yo’re finished with it.

UPDATE

WMI being fitted next Thursday with final map tweak to folllow..........

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom