My beautiful W124 has been Stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry to hear this.

This worries me since i've recently lost the garage where I keep my E500, and being a left hooker it can be a favorite for export:(

Seriously thinking about selling it as I can't find an affordable garage for rent around here.

Horrible - so sorry to hear this! :(

Sorry to hear this.

This worries me since i've recently lost the garage where I keep my E500, and being a left hooker it can be a favorite for export:(

Seriously thinking about selling it as I can't find an affordable garage for rent around here.

I think the economical 124's would be on the priority theft lift such as the 4 pots and diesels. Less of the straight six and probably 500 won't even make it on the list.

Sorry to hear of the loss. This is making me a little nervous about having two 124's. Was the vehicle fitted with any security devices?
I don't understand completely the attraction of stealing these cars. Surely if you are going to take the risk, it would be better to steal something with a higher value?

Surely if you are going to take the risk, it would be better to steal something with a higher value?

Higher value than a complete car full of Mercedes spare parts, or even a nice heavy car to weigh in?

I think the economical 124's would be on the priority theft lift such as the 4 pots and diesels. Less of the straight six and probably 500 won't even make it on the list.

Mine is debadged - Should I place the " E 500 " badge back ? Might help to deter the scumbags!

wot a bunch of *******s ive got a w124 e220 theyre tried to nick it several times but immobiliser wont let them take it! also got my other 2 cars bummper to bumper with it .

Such a shame. My best years were spent there, clubbing and having fun, but now, I don't enjoy it at all... :(

Simly to do with the fact that you`re old now :p

This thread makes me worry about safety of my LHD 250D.

What is more, my neighbour approached me today and said that his dog started to bark at night (night before the last) and when he came out there was nothing unusual but he couldn't go back to sleep as the dog never barks without no reason. He checked his CCTV and spotted a White Van that stopped next to my van, 3 blokes came out and were checking out my van, walking around etc. They drove off before he came out.

I have rang the Police (101) to report it, but it is doubtful that they would be able to prevent my van from being stolen...

I am worrying now. LT's and sprinters are very easy to get in too. I won't be able to sleep tonight....

My 250D is parked up on the opposite side of the road from the van.

:(

Greg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your news 1989W124

I think most members on this site have the view that their car has a sentimental value to themselves which also applies to me.

I wish you the best of luck getting your car back and if (by any chance) you do get your hands on the people that have committed this unforgivable crime then make sure they are not in ONE piece when you hand them over to the Police..

You too break them up for parts.. see how they like it!

A wee bit of encouragement to the OP. My only brushes with car theft involved one classic and one semi-classic (at the time). The latter was an MGB we had for all of three weeks when it disappeared from Milton Keynes station car parking. Insurance paid out in 2 weeks and I bought an aged but brilliant Lotus Elan S1. About five months later I had a call from Hemel Hempstead police station asking if I wanted my MGB back. It turned out that a major burglar had suddenly asked in court as he was going down for his crimes to have 'the MGB in his lock-up" taken into account. He had had a problem with his own MGB and gone shopping up the station car parks out from Euston looking for one he could swap his plates on to. I said 'No Thanks' but got back my toolbox with some new additions.

Second occasion was with a 1949 Daimler I had as an unused spares source for the one I was running. It was sat in a farm shed for nearly 10 years until I sold both to another enthusiast. He left it on the farm but when he turned up a couple of weeks later it had disappeared. The local police were utterly uninterested when I tried to report it as a theft and refused to give even an incident number as it had 'no value'. I immediately drew up a list of scrapyards and the new owner found it in the first one where they revealed they had bought it from a regular who brought in this kind of 'derelict' vehicle and let it go to the new owner on production of the log book because they had ways of getting their money back without police involvement.

It isn't much to hope for but they do come back.

Last year I had a guy who turned his car around from the opposite side of the road, over took all the other cars to catch up with me, then started flashing his lights and driving up real close to me. It p***** me right off so I stopped the car in the middle of the road, go out to confront him as to what his problem was. He puts his window down and asks me if I wanted to sell my car and how much would I sell it for!! I told him no its not for sale and never will be! He wouldn't take no for an answer, but I just walked off, got in the car and drove off. Never saw him again.

It would be interesting to know if this fellow is a genuine buyer or just follows W124's and gets the owner to give him their phone no. and address.

If you see him again, take his number. If he's a genuine enthusiast he won't mind.

It would be interesting to know if this fellow is a genuine buyer or just follows W124's and gets the owner to give him their phone no. and address.
The same thought had crossed my mind.

I have a white 250D, best car I've owned, absolutely love the old thing.. am moving back to london soon so looks like it will have to be sold. A mate told me it will be gone the second I turn my back. Just don't need the grief tbh :(

Is a white 190e 2.0 also on their hit list?

Whoa.. was this guy in a black 124 saloon by any chance, asian chap???

No, he was white in a bornite (purple metalic) 220 124. He didn't really want to take no for an answer.

If you see him again, take his number. If he's a genuine enthusiast he won't mind.

That thought hadn't crossed my mind...

OP, I'll be on the lookout on the classifieds for your car, but as has been said already, I think it's probably already a lost cause.

Have any W201's been nicked or is it just W124's?

Thinking I might replace my mine with a 190d 2.5, don't really want to go down the CDI route.

Bing, PM me if you do think of selling.... How much would you want?

The police called yesterday saying they're still hopeful they might find something...

I'm not holding out to much hope, but you never know....

Does anyone else think this will push the insurance premiums up for the 124's?

Does anyone else think this will push the insurance premiums up for the 124's?

As an isolated incident, no, but seeing as W124 have been disappearing for a few years now, I suspect it already has.

I think W124 get taken because they are so easy to gain access to, so unless the owner has upgraded with a decent alarm and immobiliser, they are gone in no time at all.

Of course, nothing stops a car being lifted with a Hiab.

Really sorry to hear about your loss :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom