My Car Has Been Stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry, my fault for the Alfa quip...

This sickening thread has brought home something I've been wondering for a while (apart from why I own an Alfa) though - are modern cars too secure? Assuming there's always going to be some scum who are willing to go to these lengths for a few extra quid and knowing you can't steal a modern car without a matching key, is the extra security putting car owners at greater risk than they would have been in the old 'hot wire' days?

Though it'd be annoying, personally I'd far rather someone put a brick through my car's window, broke the steering lock and drove it off than break into my house in search of a key.

We see the same in most criminal activities, where technology is used to makes our possessions "more secure"

We hear very little of the traditional "bank job" these days. That is because the money is stolen without the need for anybody to enter the bank (even if there was a bank to enter). It is stolen over the ether, using technology. Virtual theft, in a virtual world, that was designed to protect our money from bank robbers.

There are calls for traditional 'court juries' to be done away with some of these cases. Why? The technology employed by both sides is seen as, sophistication beyond the understanding of the layman/juror.

Please be assured that bank theft is probably healthier now and more rewarding now than it was in the days of Black Jaguars and Guns in rolled up newspapers.

The same is true of car theft. If they want it? They will take it. The people who, do the taking, are at the lowest end of a very long chain.

We see the same in most criminal activities, where technology is used to makes our possessions "more secure"

We hear very little of the traditional "bank job" these days. That is because the money is stolen without the need for anybody to enter the bank (even if there was a bank to enter). It is stolen over the ether, using technology. Virtual theft, in a virtual world, that was designed to protect our money from bank robbers.

There are calls for traditional 'court juries' to be done away with some of these cases. Why? The technology employed by both sides is seen as, sophistication beyond the understanding of the layman/juror.

Please be assured that bank theft is probably healthier now and more rewarding now than it was in the days of Black Jaguars and Guns in rolled up newspapers.

The same is true of car theft. If they want it? They will take it. The people who, do the taking, are at the lowest end of a very long chain.

Yes, bank robbery moved from 'blue collar' to 'white collar' crime, but as it's become easier for the criminals it's become safer for the victims as now all you need to do is clone somebody's card or con someone out of their bank details rather than waving a gun / knife / fist in their face.

I guess the same will happen to car theft if car makers stick to 'keyless go' technology, but I won't be buying a new car again if they move on to fingerprint recognition or something scary like that :eek:

...I guess the same will happen to car theft if car makers stick to 'keyless go' technology, but I won't be buying a new car again if they move on to fingerprint recognition or something scary like that :eek:

The issue is not with the car manufacturers, as any additional security features (biometrics, two-factor authentication, etc) is likely to be optional in the same way that Keyless Go is now.

The issue will potentially be with insurers, who might insist on such features being fitted and active (similar to immobiliser or tracker).

The issue is not with the car manufacturers, as any additional security features (biometrics, two-factor authentication, etc) is likely to be optional in the same way that Keyless Go is now.

The issue will potentially be with insurers, who might insist on such features being fitted and active (similar to immobiliser or tracker).

I'd definitely be sticking up a (easily detachable) middle finger to them if they insist on that in the future.

Be careful please. My wife's X5 was un-insurable due the insurance list of demands to try and stop theft (none of which would actually stop a theft) they are designed to try and recover the vehicle AFTER the theft.

A friend of mine worked in the insurance business and they imposed similar demands on high value vehicles in certain African countries. The thieves found their way round those easily enough, they simply murdered the owner and dumped the body in the countryside to avoid the tracker being activated for several days by which time the car had long gone. Needless to say the companies hastily reviewed their terms and conditions, presumably for fear of being sued for complicity

^ I was thinking that. As soon as you start being able to disable the car remotely, you can be sure enough they'll make sure they stop that happening, maybe tying you up, you'll get free or be discovered later, long after they're gone.

Look at what they're willing to do to steal a car, you think they'll be thwarted by something like that?

How bout a cyanide gas cylinder under the seat that can be activated from your phone after the scrotes have gone a few hundred yards.

How bout a cyanide gas cylinder under the seat that can be activated from your phone after the scrotes have gone a few hundred yards.

Great in theory but no point in a system that's going to put the safety of other road users & pedestrians at risk.

Extremely sorry to hear about it John, only seen the thread now. Hope you are all ok now.

Bruce makes a valid point about robberies moving on with advances in security,many years ago I worked for shell we say a company that had less than honest people owning it in the East End,every Sunday it was mandatory to turn up at the mobs pub in the Mile End Road,I was introduced to a big man who looked as though he had once been a heavyweight fighter,broken nose beat up ears and lots of glove scars on his face,he was the Hammer Man in his younger days,after a couple of drinks I asked him why he was called that, it seems that in the days when the pay rolls were carried around in converted vans he would jump out of the car and smash the rear doors off with a sledgehammer he then returned to the getaway car while the others grad the loot,his job ended when purpose built vans were used.

I remember when my parents still lived in South Africa (more than 20 years ago) my moms Audi 100 had a crude 'anti-hijack' system fitted.

As I remember if the drivers door was opened with the engine still running and your foot on the brake (or something like that) a timer would start running and the fuel pump would be disabled in about 10 minutes.

The idea was that the car jacker was well gone any you had legged it in the opposite direction to safety.

Thankfully she never had to use it.

Sorry to hear this horrible news, glad that you managed to hold them off from entering the main part of your home and they left with taking the keys and not injuring you.

So sorry to hear of your ordeal John, hopefully in time you and your family may be able to put this behind you.

Sh!t ! So sorry to hear of this! Im away this month so only just saw. You were right to hand over the keys of course, but what a horrible experience. I despair for this country these days.

I hope everyone in your home is ok.

Very difficult to put into words my outrage at this without falling foul of the forum swear filter.

As many have said, it's only metal. It's insured. Leave it to the Insurance company and the Police to sort out.

It's the trauma that you have been through that is the big concern. No doubt you will have episodes of feeling almost uncontrollable anger and episodes of feeling helpless. This is normal. Physical symptoms of illness likewise.

I used to fit burglar alarms and witnessed a number of people feeling very insecure in their homes after these kinds of events. Physical security can only do so much. Bank staff after armed robbery normally get offered counselling for this reason.

Counselling is not to be rejected because it is "not strong" to ask for it. Even the Police - a traditionally "macho" organisation - are beginning to accept that it has value after traumatic experiences.

If you feel affected - there's nothing wrong in getting a bit of help. And IMO it's far better than asking a GP for some pills.

I keep looking at this thread in the hope they catch the scroats who did this,I suppose there is no chance.

John did insurance pay out?

Hello guys - just thought I'd provide an update.

The car was found via a Tracker the next day and was recovered at my request to our local MB service centre, as I wanted it to be looked at properly.

It had interior damage and some exterior damage and was subsequently written off last Thursday, which, in the circumstances, suited me, as I'd had to promise the family it wouldn't be coming back home, where it might happen again.

My neighbour appeared a few days after the event and showed me some CCTV where you could see 5 bad guys involved - 4 running up the drive and one turning the getaway car round. I also went to the recovered car at MB to retrieve my sunglasses and whilst rooting around looking for them in the passenger footwell I found a 5" blade knife - not good.

Anyway, I accepted what I believe was a good settlement figure, bought the car back and sold it on the day after for a small increase - it will live again, I'm sure :cool:

I can't have another while we live where we do, so have bought a functional but dull Skoda Superb estate.

Many many thanks to those who contacted me - it was a great help and very supportive :thumb:.

Anyway - I have a set of RADO Sports Cat downpipes available at £1K if any bi-turbo CLS or E Class AMG owners are interested - straight bolt on, no mods - a better sound and a bit more power - I'll be doing a separate ad on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom