Mysterious cables in boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
We all love threads like this don't we? :)

Can anyone tell me what these cables/connectors are? They look like power and fibre for a cd changer. What I'd really like to know is if they would work with the factory optical changer I need for COMAND :) . The small black plastic plug has copper cables going to it, the large L-shaped one defiitely has some type of fibre in it because it's not flexible and has no metal contacts on the end :)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• bootconnectors.jpg
    bootconnectors.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 243
Got a zoomed out view of where you found them in the boot?

Hi Shude,

Just had a rummage in my boot and these are the connectors for the factory cd changer as they are the same as mine and the unit works great with my Comand system.

There are a couple on USA Ebay at the moment - running at about $300 plus postage.

Cheers

Guy

Originally posted by Gizmo750
Just had a rummage in my boot and these are the connectors for the factory cd changer as they are the same as mine and the unit works great with my Comand system.

There are a couple on USA Ebay at the moment - running at about $300 plus postage.
Excellent! :D That's saved me a few quid then.

Do you mean the changers are $300 plus postage? That's not too bad really.

Shude,

Yeah, seems that they go for about that if you can get them to post to the UK (and some do advertise that they are OK with doing so!)

Try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38641&item=2428506208

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38641&item=2428529042

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43948&item=2428557129

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43948&item=2429716507

One of those is a BUY IT NOW jobbie for $250 which is about £160, seems reasonable!

Best of luck

Guy

Originally posted by Gizmo750
Yeah, seems that they go for about that if you can get them to post to the UK (and some do advertise that they are OK with doing so!)
I will certainly take a look at that option :)

Of course, you know what finding that cable means...the previous owner (trader) took the BOSE equipped headunit and changer out when he sold the car and sold them separately. The changer would probably have worked with COMAND! :(

Originally posted by Simon
Or give us a clue where to look please.
Well, the question has basically been answered, but if you want to find the cables yourself...

I found them in the boot, coming out of the trim on the right hand side. I also found them in the rear offside passenger door sill, in the cable tray.

Attachments

• fibreroute.jpg
    fibreroute.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 206
Originally posted by Shude
Well, the question has basically been answered, but if you want to find the cables yourself...

I'm sorry I must have missed the answer.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
As well as doing some planning for my imminent Sat Nav install, I decided to see what these obvioulsy non standard wires led to permanently connected to my battery.

Don't be fooled by the tape, they are all properly crimped and strangley fused on both the +ve and -ve!!

battery.jpg

Howerver using the cable ducts was too much effort for whoever installed it!.....

messywire.jpg

I discovered the power feed is for my Ericsson Hands Free (installed by a electrician the dealer used when I swapped my W202's).

I have neatened the installation up and also found the other end to my Telephone aerial on my rear window...

mobaerial.jpg

The number of reception bars jumps from 2 to 4 by using the external aerial parked outside my house, so a job worth doing.

Doesn't it make you wonder what you are missing out on when you find loose connections like this?

missingwire.jpg

Re: Cheap CD Changers

Originally posted by wbessada
Bluestar mercedes sourced a brand new W203 CD changer for me for £200 including shipping. Give them a try - you'll just need to give them a part number. Cheaper and better (new!) than e-Bay!!

http://www.bluestarmercedes.co.uk/

0161 355 1476

[email protected]
That's not bad! The best price I could get from the stealership is £225 over counter with 10% discount. Bluestar are in Manchester, I don't think I will have to pay shipping (can collect) so maybe it will be cheaper :)

Yep, I have the same cables for my Comand-connected CD-changer ;)

Nick; How is your car coming along BTW? I haven't seen much of it.. :)

Re: Cheap CD Changers

Originally posted by wbessada
Bluestar mercedes sourced a brand new W203 CD changer for me for £200 including shipping. Give them a try - you'll just need to give them a part number. Cheaper and better (new!) than e-Bay!!
I just got a reply from them:

"Will need a few days on this" ;)

Shude,

they normally take a few days, as they source the best price from europe!

the only thing he hasnt been able to get me so far was my gearbox!! :(, everything else they have saved me loadsa money from dealer prices!

Originally posted by Alps
Shude,

the only thing he hasnt been able to get me so far was my gearbox!! :(, everything else they have saved me loadsa money from dealer prices!

you think they can find me an instrument cluster for amg clk209?. Thanks.

ask them! they normally require a part number or a chassis number

Originally posted by Alps

They might struggle to get a better price: because of the euro, items just cost more from Europe at the moment, but the stealership parts computer has the prices fixed in pounds so right now your local parts counter has never been so cheap, about 10% cheaper than a German parts counter for example :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom