• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New website - opinions please

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
As I value the feedback, good and bad, from this forums members, I thought I would let you all know that I have launched a new website for Comand.

Comand

Please let me have your thoughts. Please be constructive. Any spelling/grammer errors, I want to know as well as functionality issues.

Thanks.

Looks excellent. :)

How about the comand screen but edited...

Instead of navi audio tel video and system you put your contact us online shop etc in them :)

Needed a new modern look and that is a big improvement.

Few things I would point out:
No company logo on the page
You dont see the links for Home Contact Us etc until you scroll down. Move it to the top
No info on where you are based
Same default picture at the top on each page
No telephone contact details
Make online shop links open in new window

Last edited:
Much cleaner and easier on the eye. Looks more professional and less techie.

One thing.

It is not completely obvious at first glance what the site is for or what you are selling.

Using PCS as an example it is very clear on the very first page what we do. http://www.prestigecarservice.co.uk/

Looks excellent. :)

How about the comand screen but edited...

Instead of navi audio tel video and system you put your contact us online shop etc in them :)

Can you elaborate?

I think Jason means if you were looking at an actual comand unit , the buttons along the top marked 'tel' , 'nav' , 'video' etc on the actual unit , change them to 'contact' , 'fitting' , 'shop' or whatever ... keep the original font though ...

Have the buttons so you can click them . :cool:

Here are a few comments:

1. Homepage: Main image would look better slightly pulled back... i.e one of the images used on the DAB page footer in situ better demonstrates the product. The close up of the U.I clashes with the caption "NTG 2.5 Com..." etc.

2. DAB page: This line doesn't read well..."Earlier cars, those that are MOST based from approximately mid 2004 onwards"

3. Navigation / Comand: interrface incorrect spelling. Also a double or even triple letter space in second from last para.

4. Phone: Need an apostrophe in para offset to right "where UHI wasnt an origin.."

5. iPod / Media interface: Need apostrophe for don't "For those cars earlier than MY2005 or those that would require comand but dont have it"

6. Testimonials: There are a few typos nesting in there, such as 'reccommend' and 'suppllying'. So a copy and paste through a spell check would weed those out. HOWEVER, it's nice to see plenty of good feedback, but I doubt visitors to the site will read all those. 3-5 appreciating differing services would be more easily digested.

7. Links: "and much other stuff can be found" doesn't read well. 'Much more can be found" would be better.

Hope that helps! :thumb:

It's nice but........

The font in the detailed descriptions is a little small.

The main picture could change on mouse rollover rather than having to click on the thumbnails, or it could become a slideshow.

On the Links page, the description of PCS has Smart with a small 's'

As mentioned earlier, no telephone contact.

Trim and straighten the main picture, also try and show a better example of what birds eye view looks like.

Plus everything mentioned above.

From a styling point of view, one or two changes I would make.

Home page image too large. Take the size down and possibly move the navigation links either along the top or to the left side so they're clear and easy to read. Also, better for the googlebot to crawl for your Google ranking.

Main text is maybe one font size too small.
As Olly says, you need to add a logo, preferably on the top left side. Also, a header at the top with name and web address would look cleaner and again be better for search engine ranking.

There's some work needed for search engine optimisation, but that's another job altogether and if you'd like, I can send you a mail with some suggestions as that's my speciality. But, good look overall and just some tweaks needed to make perfect! :)

Header is way too big. Content starts more than half way down the page on my laptop!

The old name and url comandeurope.com is top of the search results when looking for Comand in google but comand.co.uk isnt in the results. Something to sort out if comand.co.uk is going to the main name and url.

Last edited:
I don't like that I can see AutoPortal at the top, but not www.comand.co.uk Also can't see this unless I scroll down. Top images look clear, but maybe too deep.

No About Us page. I find that this is visited a lot on my website. And also agree that for credibility you need a telephone number, preferably a low cost one that could divert to a mobile. Again I find that a lot of people prefer to speak to me before ordering.

Looks good.

When an option on the left hand menu is highlighted it's white text on a light grey background. My eyes then find it difficult to read. That's repeated on the contact us page. Maybe a darker grey would help.

If you, really, want an honest opinion, then read on.

I have worked in IT for many years, in web dev and I have to say, I don't rate your site. I am trying to be honest and constructive in my criticism - take or leave, it's entirely up to you.

I like this forum, it has helped me, and so I do not want to cause any offence to anyone. But, I am responsible for at least 26 current, very successful, sites on the net now. For major Corp's and I think your site is quite off-putting.

I'm not going to reveal my work, because, this is a public forum and I do not want to reveal to much about my identity - take that as you will, it is no loss to me, I’m only trying to offer advice, to help a stranger.

If you don't want or respect that advice, that is no problem, as we don't know each other at all.

Imo, the site is messy, confusing, in the wrong format and un-appealing. No, I am not offering my 'Services to fix it for a fee'. I have no interest at all, in more work, at any price, I am more involved in other things now. I don't have the time or inclination and I don't know good dev people who would be interested, sorry.

I just think, you want to start again, from scratch. Sorry, if that is not what you wanted to hear – I guess it’s not, but, do you want the truth or not?

I do not mean to offend, as I said, my post is intended, genuinely, to help.

If you, really, want an honest opinion, then read on.

I have worked in IT for many years, in web dev and I have to say, I don't rate your site. I am trying to be honest and constructive in my criticism - take or leave, it's entirely up to you.

I like this forum, it has helped me, and so I do not want to cause any offence to anyone. But, I am responsible for at least 26 current, very successful, sites on the net now. For major Corp's and I think your site is quite off-putting.

I'm not going to reveal my work, because, this is a public forum and I do not want to reveal to much about my identity - take that as you will, it is no loss to me, I’m only trying to offer advice, to help a stranger.

If you don't want or respect that advice, that is no problem, as we don't know each other at all.

Imo, the site is messy, confusing, in the wrong format and un-appealing. No, I am not offering my 'Services to fix it for a fee'. I have no interest at all, in more work, at any price, I am more involved in other things now. I don't have the time or inclination and I don't know good dev people who would be interested, sorry.

I just think, you want to start again, from scratch. Sorry, if that is not what you wanted to hear – I guess it’s not, but, do you want the truth or not?

I do not mean to offend, as I said, my post is intended, genuinely, to help.

No offence taken.

However given your apparent credentials can you point me to (via PM if needed) some of your work? Also it would be helpful if you could offer some constructive advice.

I too have many years in IT (26) and have sought the opinions and advice of a couple of 'Internet gurus' with unimpeachable credentials so I would be interested to hear why/where you think i've gone wrong.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom