• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New website - opinions please

As a fellow web designer, also with many current sites, (mostly auto trade related), I mainly agree with you, but, I felt a more subtle approach was kinder. It's not the worst I've seen, Beleive me, I've been asked to rebuild sites that were hideous in all respects. Alfies site needs a fair amount of work, but it does have potential.

Just seen this thread,

my 1st impression when I clicked the link was "whats going on". The large COMAND screenshot is confusing at first, as the text looks like clickable options and to be honest, its not even clear what the image is (if your not into cars)...

No offensive intented!

As a fellow web designer, also with many current sites, (mostly auto trade related), I mainly agree with you, but, I felt a more subtle approach was kinder. It's not the worst I've seen, Beleive me, I've been asked to rebuild sites that were hideous in all respects. Alfies site needs a fair amount of work, but it does have potential.

Yes, your quite right. I should have been a bit more subtle. I know my subject and perhaps, I could have worded my post better on reflection, but it was only intended to help.

No, it's not a bad site. It's just that, it could be a whole lot better imo.

I am not able to reveal sites I have published, for work reasons and confidentiality clauses, if that is not good enough, then so be it. I can say that my work has mainly involved the Publishing industry, including various car magazines.

But, a few pointers.

The white space above the Header and below before the top graphic, looks wrong. There is no need for the links below the Header, they should be on the side menu, which should be moved up and a lot larger and clearer.

The graphics below the main image of the Command Sys, are too large and so is the main graphic, the site is un-balanced and there is too much white blank space.

The text on the Header also looks wrong - In fact, I would remove that Header altogether.

This is essentially a simple site, that looks a bit incohesive and rather hard to absorb.

If you need an example, then I recently bought some items from this site:

Mens Vintage Clothing - 1940s, 1950s, 1960s - British Classics Online

I have absolutely no other affiliation with them at all, other than my purchase from them. But, I think it is a good site, for what they do, with all the functionality you need, just done a bit better.

Hi Alfie
Ive got command ...can you improve it
layout , functionality etc
for example i sit low in the car and nudge the screen down twice (its a C class 2010)
the default is the high position so i have to do this each time i start it up
maybe this isnt quite a command issue but i would like the default to be the lowest position
appreciate your comments

Hi Alfie
Ive got command ...can you improve it
layout , functionality etc
for example i sit low in the car and nudge the screen down twice (its a C class 2010)
the default is the high position so i have to do this each time i start it up
maybe this isnt quite a command issue but i would like the default to be the lowest position
appreciate your comments

Well at least this thread has possibly bought you some more Business!

Good luck with your new site, it is always difficult and somewhat subjective, launching a new web presence. I wish you well, I think a more tidy design and clearer explanation of what you do, for those who are not car tech fanatics and it will be 100% better. That's all I have to say really.

Couldn't agree more! :)

Hey Alfie,

I've done my company website but I'm deffo not a web designer so am speaking from purely a users point of view. :rolleyes: Again, as others have said, no offence intended in any way.

Firstly, I would also say that the big image and the "small" thumbnails under that are WAY TO BIG!! They take up over half of my screen and I really don't like them. To see the content I have to scroll down. It is also the same image on each page. If it's a nav page use a smaller nav image, DAB page use a smaller DAB image........ You get the idea! If you want to put all the bigger pictures in one place stick them in a gallery page.

I would also agree that the main menu and text needs to be above the pictures. As someone else mentioned, the main menu is white text on light grey, there needs to be more of a contrast.

The header looks very amaturish. Make yourself a simple logo and use it on everything from your website to your stationary. EVERY business big or small needs an identity.

In your case your reputation is very good on this forum but if I didn't visit this forum I wouldn't even consider doing business with you because there are no contact details, not even an e-mail address or phone number!

Big gaps between text on the Phone page.

Actual content is informative and reasonably clear.

Keep at it.

Dave.

Oh and one last comment, "Classic Car" subtle as a double barrel shotgun. :eek: I like it. :thumb:

Alfie - when referring to a COMAND unit shouldn't it be in capitals? It is on the MB website..

Alfie,
You gone back to the old site for the mo? The images are not visible just red crosses.

I've e-mailed you a couple of times to make an appointment for you to code my unit but I've not had a response. Can you drop me a line SAP please.

Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom