Newbie ML63 AMG Owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Welcome to MBClub. You have fine taste in cars 👌🏻

One of the reasons that the gearbox is slower is because it’s a traditional torque converter automatic - rather than twin clutch - with a 3.5 tonne towing capacity.

The equivalent engine in other models of a similar vintage are not type approved for towing and so have a different multi-clutch arrangement which shifts faster.

Whilst you can change gears manually, the gearbox does it’s best work when it’s left to make it’s own decisions, and you’ll notice shift speed much less as a result.
Thank you for the welcome 🙂

Oh I wholly agree, I leave it in it sports+ position and let it do what it needs... I've gotten used to it now and appreciate how it operates, admittedly didn't realise its a traditional torque converter.. let's face it, no matter it's a bit of an animal!

In any case, I will be in the hands of Acid soon.. need I say more 🤣🤣

Thank you for the welcome 🙂

Oh I wholly agree, I leave it in it sports+ position and let it do what it needs... I've gotten used to it now and appreciate how it operates, admittedly didn't realise its a traditional torque converter.. let's face it, no matter it's a bit of an animal!

In any case, I will be in the hands of Acid soon.. need I say more 🤣🤣
Have you decided which turbo set up you’re going for?

Have you decided which turbo set up you’re going for?
Well was described as the pure uprated turbo package, decate down pipes, map and dyno time.. seeing circa 800-850bhp mark....

Think that's plenty for me, until I want more of course.. 🤣🤣

That said, I'm one of those guys who'd rather pay more now which saves later.. if you get what I mean.. 😁

Well was described as the pure uprated turbo package, decate down pipes, map and dyno time.. seeing circa 800-850bhp mark....

Think that's plenty for me, until I want more of course.. 🤣🤣

That said, I'm one of those guys who'd rather pay more now which saves later.. if you get what I mean.. 😁
MSL has a great reputation for good reason. You’re in good hands 👍🏻

MSL has a great reputation for good reason. You’re in good hands 👍🏻
That I have no doubt about, after reading the thread MSL CLS63 AMG TTE900 Turbo Upgrade... for @Cyclone1 sent kindly by @AMGeed I am uber excited... also knowing that if I have any underlying issues with the car, I'll no doubt be advised..

Thanks for the warm welcome and hopefully get to say hello at any meets that take place sometime, of course when we get back to some form of normality..

Hi Raydus, if you get your post count below 30, then you can send me a PM re the turbos

Hi Raydus, if you get your post count below 30, then you can send me a PM re the turbos
Hey Alps. trying my best to get the count above 30 so I can PM you :) hence all the replies and thank you etc.. haha

No probs mate, lots of other posts on here to reply to

Welcome mate, great car choice. I can't help but look at them on Autotrader, then I take the E63 for a spin and I'm happy with what I have haha

Welcome mate, great car choice. I can't help but look at them on Autotrader, then I take the E63 for a spin and I'm happy with what I have haha
Thank you for the warm welcome, I love the car.. would be better when its back on the road.. the E63 however, very nice indeedy.... the ML for me is perfect to slide in and out.. being 6f4, there is no negotiation when getting in haha.. :)

Thank you for the warm welcome, I love the car.. would be better when its back on the road.. the E63 however, very nice indeedy.... the ML for me is perfect to slide in and out.. being 6f4, there is no negotiation when getting in haha.. :)
Haha yeah thats understandable, I need to do a hop to get into the E nevermind a ML :D

Just a little update for anyone interested

I managed to get a picture of one of the turbos, not much to say here - the photo says it all really.

Whilst there was an opportunity, I have a couple of photo's of the car as it currently stands.

Now the annoying thing about this, I tried to get the garage in which this currently sits to talk to MSL to organise sending more photo's to them so they can assess the photo's themselves and see about getting them refurbished. My current garage said they had no, to little response from MSL which left me a little surprised, to say the least, I was in constant contact with MSL with no issue of communication. In any case, a week has passed and I have given up trying to get the two garages to communicate, I just want my wheels back.. I was trying to take advantage of the car already having its engine out (12 hours of work here involved, I was told) upgrade the turbos, remap, rolling road etc..

I am not sure if my garage sent anything to MSL, although I did get an email from my garage showing they sent the email with a photo. It took me a few to ask for this to be sent to me, I have established their communication skills seem to lack.. I'm not interested in pointing fingers here, I'm just a tad gutted that I'm not taking advantage of my situation.

So, I need a plan of action;

First and foremost, get my car back on the road - I miss it! I will have 2 new MB (Garratt - I think) turbos installed.

A little advice, should I buy 2x second-hand turbos and have them reconditioned by The Turbo Engineers? (inspired by "MSL CLS63 AMG TTE900 Turbo Upgrade" thread :)

Think this is the correct link for the turbos I'm looking at:

or should I just take the car to MSL let them do the magic and wait another few weeks before I get the car back again?

I understand that I may end up paying over and above what the car is worth but I don't intend of letting this go anytime soon, if at all.

The car won't be on the road until next week, so I have some time to debate which route I take..

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Fckd Turbo.jpg
    Fckd Turbo.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 7
those turbos are defo knackered! looks like something has flown into them and mashed up the propellors!

MSL are pretty busy, so your garage may not be fibbing.

whatever you choose to do, don't rush the decision, turbo engineers rebuild would be the way I would go, I wouldn't spend out on new MB ones... that's just me.

those turbos are defo knackered! looks like something has flown into them and mashed up the propellors!

MSL are pretty busy, so your garage may not be fibbing.

whatever you choose to do, don't rush the decision, turbo engineers rebuild would be the way I would go, I wouldn't spend out on new MB ones... that's just me.
Thanks @Alps 👍

The benefit with taking your current housings and getting them re-furbed, is you could spec what we used to call in Fiat coupe land - sorry if this doesn't work anymore - a "hybrid turbo", so within the same housing you can put different pitch intake/output compressors to match the engine specs you want - if it's variable vane that might be harder, but in essense, quicker spool up, - bigger front end, more top end power with greater lag - bigger back end. Treat your turbo refurb as an opportunity, not a problem :)

The benefit with taking your current housings and getting them re-furbed, is you could spec what we used to call in Fiat coupe land - sorry if this doesn't work anymore - a "hybrid turbo", so within the same housing you can put different pitch intake/output compressors to match the engine specs you want - if it's variable vane that might be harder, but in essense, quicker spool up, - bigger front end, more top end power with greater lag - bigger back end. Treat your turbo refurb as an opportunity, not a problem :)
This is exactly what I wanted to do but communication between the two garages didn't quite work out for one reason or another so I have left with having to have the car worked on with two new MB turbo's, I will then take it up to MSL to have the works done knowing I have new turbos which they can work with. The original ones were completely shot, no refurb would have been possible (or so I was lead to believe)..

I'll be having a chat with MSL in due course when my car is back on the road (next week) with a bit of luck.. I can not wait to get it back! :)

Well peeps, it's been a while since I posted an update about the car.. it took 7 weeks to get my car back, main problem being getting hold of parts for the car..

Unfortunately I didn't have a choice but to stick with the garage I'd dropped the car too, my intent (after research) was to get it up to MSL for them to do the magic..

I've attached my final bill for the works carried out 😭😭😭

So I've had the car put back to standard as to keep the warranty on the party...

Or as far as the garage goes, that's what I've lead them to believe.........

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-100007_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-100007_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Well well, look where I am... 😁

Only a stage 1 remap today, will post a pic of the pre and post results..

Right now the car is standard...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-100135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-100135_Gallery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
OK so the first couple of runs done..

Not sure how to upload the video I took, any guidance would be appreciated 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-103029_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-103029_Gallery.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread