No ice scraping equipment!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScoobyDooLondon

Car
Mercedes S320 CDI 2008
First year of MB ownership and first winter.

Just realised yesterday I've got no winter cleaning equipment, as I threw it all out on my previous car - Mondeo (ahem, cough splutter)..

So, what essential winter equipment does everyone have in the car? All I can think of is ice scraper and can of de-icer..

Anything else?

PS I usually just pop into Halfords, is that the right place or do I need something better?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if Harvey Nicks does anything for MB...but you could always try.

Nature provided you with an effective and free means of deicing the windows:)

I guess I was asking for that!

Just re-read my thread and bloody 'ell, it does come across all posh and airy fairy. Wasn't meant to be..

Ok, guys, off to Halfords later to pick up de-icer and ice scraper - anything else I need whilst I'm there..?

Strong screen wash?

I just use a scraper, I seem to find that windows cleared with de-icer seem to freeze up again very quick.

Place like Lidl and Aldi do this kind of stuff cheap. I personally get de-icer and winterfit screen wash from the main dealer.

Place like Lidl and Aldi do this kind of stuff cheap. I personally get de-icer and winterfit screen wash from the main dealer.

If you found a screen wash that was very effective from a main dealer...would you buy it from them even if you no longer drove that make of car?

Halfords do a screen wash which works down to ( I believe) -30C. It was very useful in 2010.

Poundland ice scrapers are fine. I am not keen on de-icers and would rather use a good screen wash. If you have the O2 Priority Moments app on your phone it's sometimes possible to get winter motoring items like these for free at Halfords (not at the moment, though).:thumb:

Just popped into Asda and got a scraper, think that'll do for now.

You're right on the de-icer. I do recall it getting worse after using a de-icer, going to give it a miss for now.

A quid lighter but job done!

I thought Mondeos had the electric screen clear, my wife's Focus has it & its brilliant, press button 15 - 20 secs all clear!

Yep spot on. The Mondeo did have a heated front screen. And it worked very well.

Why cars don't have heated side windows I'll never know, maybe its a cost thing..

If you sign up for Sytner Mercedes-Benz Club (free), you get a quarterly "health check" (also free), and with it a half price (under £10) offer on MB Winter Kit like this one here

And with a Service Care plan you get one of those for free ;)

If you found a screen wash that was very effective from a main dealer...would you buy it from them even if you no longer drove that make of car?

Yes. Most of the time I have to call in to the dealer to buy it specifically, so it would be no more inconvenient if I didn't have any Mercedes at home

But I'm sure the same stuff will be available elsewhere with another label, and if it is, it's cheaper, and I can find it, then I'll buy that instead.

Summerfit is already a bargain though!

I've increased the winterfit concentration this evening, in readiness for more cold weather. Brrrr.

Since retiring i don`t go out until the streets are aired...Lol

But if the motor is covered in frost i use simply an old plastic wine bottle with luke warm plain water in....job done...

I don`t believe in lining others pockets with profits from de-icing products

I use the warm water method which is fine when at home. Fortunately I don't get much frost at other times of the day and if so then its the AA membership card or similar.

I find a bucket of cold water out of the tap is plenty to clear the windscreen and side windows. The rear defrosts in a couple of minutes. Its quick, effective and free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom