• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Official test proceedure for Valeo radiator issue.

Anyone recognise my radiator?

Garage said they couldn't see a label so assumed Valeo.

With relation to this, I spoke to Dronsfields who recon Torque Convertors. My gearbox is fine, it moves smoothly up and down so my fault is with the TC. I'm looking at sending my TC down to them for a recon.
Anyone had any experience of this with them?
They were very knowledgeable on the glycol issue and diagnosed exactly what thew issue was with my 211. Guy said your gearbox should be just fine, it's the TC which is damaged.

Has it had water/glycol in it at all?

If so the box will need looking at too. Be aware that if the TC is worn it can break up and send metal filings into the gearbox. If that happens then the 'box needs stripping.

I'm getting even more confused. :doh:

If I search for the Valeo radiator identification then the links to other sites, images etc. show mine as a Behr.

Think I'll need to strip the front end down for a look as I must be missing something on how to properly identify it.

At this age it's probably been done if it was one of the affected ones. We haven't seen any of these failures for years now.. A few years back we were doing a few every week!

P.s you maybe right.. It could be a Behr.. My memory might be failing me..

I had a TC rebuild done on my Nov 2003 W211 last year due to the usual judder at 30mph on light throttle. They tested for Glycol but found none. Turned out the lock-up clutch facings had just worn out due to the 150,000 miles it's done. Two gearbox flushes later (to get the bits out of the box) and all's well again.

Apparently my car has the updated Valeo radiator that they fitted in the factory once the manufacturing problem was discovered and I'm told that these Valeo radiators don't fail. I guess that's why there's very few 52 plate W211's on the road.

That may well be the same case for my old W211 as it does seem a bit strange it's only come to light now.
Given the 200k miles that may be an indicator, did try and find out likely lifetime of the TC but couldn't find anything.

I plan on getting it up on the ramp this week and taking a sample of the oil out for glycol testing.
Been told that one of the local garages has the test kit and will do this for us.

If none then will remove the box & torque convertor and send the TC away for reconditioning.

I'm fortunate enough to have a lift, gearbox jack and all the tools at disposal and don't need to use the car as I can use my W212 meantime.

Just stripped front end of car and says on it Behr?
Unless the part number is something else but searches show it as a radiator.

Sleep easy; it's a Behr.

Mine's still a Valeo, with 142K miles on the car, but presumably Valeo supplied an improved version when the problem became known, and that might be what's on the car now. When I first got the car a year ago I asked on here whether I should change the rad. One of the forum sponsor professionals basically said "If it hasn't gone pop yet, it probably won't". I had the transmission fluid changed at MSL just after I got the car, but it made no difference; smooth before, smooth after, still smooth now. If I need the transmission draining for any reason I might as well change the rad too, but I'm not worrying about it for the present.

Has it had water/glycol in it at all?

If so the box will need looking at too. Be aware that if the TC is worn it can break up and send metal filings into the gearbox. If that happens then the 'box needs stripping.
Sshh, it will hear you ... Just had to put in a new alternator. I like this car, it does so many things so well and I don't want to sell it.

Hi all I'm new to the forum and just looking for some help and advice.......

I'm not sure if I'm suffering this dreaded Valeo problem....few months ago car started making a droning sound when driving above speeds of 60mph, usually when driving up a road that inclines. Seemed fine on flat roads or with just the odd drone that would disappear under acceleration or going slower than 60mph. Now in the last 3-4 weeks it still does this but "jolts" intermittently when going uphill at speeds of more than 60mph.

Had it checked out but my Indy who said the oil and filter in gear box had not been changed in a long time, so had oil, filter, spacer, gasket, seal ring and pin changed. However issue still persists. Does not have any issues when driving less than 50mph on flat road or as it seems so far, uphill.

Chassis number is wdc2030352r055118
C180 from 2002 auto. Car has done about 120,000 miles

Thanks in advance everybody :)

Welcome to the forum, Megaman.

The first post in this thread will tell you the symptoms of the Valeo radiator problem, but basically, unless under gentle acceleration in the speed range between 1200 - 2500 rpm humming/droning noises occur, the jolting occurs in the same rpm range, and the complaint can be reproduced at any time, it is unlikely to be the Valeo rad problem, and even if you have these symptoms, it may not be glycol contamination that is causing them.

Last edited:
I would be looking at a torque converter issue.

E55BOF and BlackC55 thanks for the replies :thumb:

Yeh I did read the symptoms bulletin; but would you know if the symptoms only occur in that rpm range? My droning seems to happen around 2700-3000 rpm and above. Is it possible this issue could even present itself at this range?

BlackC55, yes the mechs did say that they thought it would be a torque converter problem or propshaft issue but proceeded to to repair as how I described in my 1st post :confused:- which doesn't seem to have done the trick even after 200 miles of driving. I would assume this amount of mileage should be enough to circulate and libricate the new oil etc and fix the issue no? Or do I need to drive it more give it more time?

Any ideas how long I can drive the car in this state, I do around 60 miles round trip to work and back every day. Such a weird issue as at certain speeds and roads the car feels really good.

Thanks again gents.

Changing the fluid may help it may not. It's just blanking the issue really.
It will get worse. I'd get it done ASAP as a broken TC can send debris into the rest of the box and will break it!

Hello All,

Yes its someone else that is going to ask the same questions about these blooming Rad's..

So if mine hasnt failed by now is it safe to say that its not an affected one? (03/2003 CLK 3.2, 67K Miles, I can't seem to work out how to read the Chassis no/ Engine no/ Gearbox no.

Cheers, I know that this is an old thread....I like to keep things alive!! lol
Nick

Hello All,

Yes its someone else that is going to ask the same questions about these blooming Rad's..

So if mine hasnt failed by now is it safe to say that its not an affected one? (03/2003 CLK 3.2, 67K Miles, I can't seem to work out how to read the Chassis no/ Engine no/ Gearbox no.

Cheers, I know that this is an old thread....I like to keep things alive!! lol
Nick

give me your reg number and I can give you your VIN number

wdb2094652t007070

Engine Number: 112955 31 580503
Gearbox Number: 722618 04 581956

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom