Pheasant meets A209 CLK 2008 at 60MPH, bodyshop or bonnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mole helps aid pheasant in collateral damage issue.

My father in law lives in the Scottish borders and has hit several Pheasants, once while driving an old Vectra the bird hit the lower valence area, the whole front bumper fell off and he ran over it smashing to pieces lol

Great way of straightening the bonnet, interesting how the so called 'body shop professionals' couldn't work out how to do that...

You still have a chunk of paint missing right? so it will require to be painted.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. There is still a piece of paint chipped off. Got some paint in the post so will sort that when it arrives, watch this space.

Looks really good...

Well i can only say is you wont get it pulled out,or pushed out from the rear .Reason is its double skined ..To keep the bonnet it will need a lot of filler on top ,and a full respray of the bonnet .

So I visited a few body shops, some seemed to think it could be repaired and others didn't. One honestly recommended looking for a salvage bonnet, as if I wasn't already trying - managed to find one of those at about £250 which seems to be the going rate. The quotes ranged from about £250 - £1,500 for the repair job!!

At the end of the day it was going to cost at least £250 to put right, so I thought I'd give it a go myself, what had I got to lose. Before anyone tries this I don't condone or take any responsibility for this if you do decide to give it a go.

I cut up some plywood pieces which I wrapped in micro fibre cloths and clamped fairly tightly using a vise grip and managed to bend the bonnet back, the size was important so not to flatten the bonnet too much.

See photos below of before, during and after. Pretty pleased with myself so far. Just waiting for the paint to come in the post and we should be back in business. Although not perfect it'll be a lot better and not far off perfect. I've done paint jobs before on previous cars where I accidentally caught a wheel arch on a concrete post and also when I backed into a low wooden post at a camp site (don't worry they were both in Ford vehicles).

Will post some more pics after the paint job :)

Before:
HET17IU.jpg

During
lmLnKXz.jpg

yqU0YfF.jpg

After
kluBUL6.jpg

Ae8RMwL.jpg

fsB1nQJ.jpg

Some more photos which hopefully show how impressed I am so far.

aP5w7Sh.jpg

aP5w7Sh.jpg

Well i can only say is you wont get it pulled out,or pushed out from the rear .Reason is its double skined ..To keep the bonnet it will need a lot of filler on top ,and a full respray of the bonnet .

Think you've missed the update above? ;)

What an unpheasant experience !

Time for an update! Finally got around to beginning the paint process. Stripped the effected area back to the metal, masked off, primed, lightly sanded the area using 1000 and 2000 grit ready for the black to be applied, perhaps next weekend. Going to mask off a larger area than the grey, probably to where I've scratched the clear coat on the undamaged area and build it up. If the black goes as well as the straightening and primer I think it'll be a good job.

Got some Holts Dupli Color, hopefully will be a good match. It says it's OEM for the 197 Obsidian black. Saying that had that before with Ford's own Panther Black on a Mondeo - turns out Holts and Halfords were both better.

Get the black on there, perhaps a bit of clear lacquer, some cutting compound and polish.

Some pics

Bare Metal:
o63Ga00.jpg

BsXkgH7.jpg

Primer:
wwGej1U.jpg

8YHw7DC.jpg

Ready for Black:
0GGJp5Z.jpg

UhTCjTJ.jpg

Suggest you have a glass of decent red wine to toast the pheasant !

Time for an update! Finally got around to beginning the paint process. Stripped the effected area back to the metal, masked off, primed, lightly sanded the area using 1000 and 2000 grit ready for the black to be applied, perhaps next weekend. Going to mask off a larger area than the grey, probably to where I've scratched the clear coat on the undamaged area and build it up. If the black goes as well as the straightening and primer I think it'll be a good job.

Got some Holts Dupli Color, hopefully will be a good match. It says it's OEM for the 197 Obsidian black. Saying that had that before with Ford's own Panther Black on a Mondeo - turns out Holts and Halfords were both better.

Get the black on there, perhaps a bit of clear lacquer, some cutting compound and polish.

Some pics

Bare Metal:

BsXkgH7.jpg

Are you a surgeon by any chance? :D

Looks promising so far, great work!

Just in between base coats of black :) Thanks for the encouragement :) ....I'm not a surgeon but that's not to say a family member may not be in the medical profession hehe

not good, hit a pigeon last year in the golf, and just saw feathers behind me, never did stop the car to check to see if it was still attached to the front, but was lucky as no damage was done.

can't believe a bird did so much damage, but good for you on doing the work yourself. Looks like a decent repair job! :)

That's not good about the pigeon fuzed, I crunched one once in a Mondeo. Also hit one with my MG TF and had the roof off at the time. It hit the bonnet, rolled up the windscreen and over the back. Thankfully it didn't land in the car with me which I was more concerned about than any damage.

Will upload some photos of the job so far, it's not 100% but is 90% there. Think I need to do some more with cutting compound and polish, perhaps a bit of a blow in with some base and lacquer as I masked a bit too much with the black.

Time for photo overload of the "finished" article! It's not perfect but not bad for a few hours and the cost of a can of spray paint. Already had primer and wet and dry from another job.

Very pleased with the colour match of the can to the car. It was Holts Paint Match Pro HBLKM04 for around £5. Sprayed very well and consistent. Drying time was good too.

JNWZzZL.jpg

1QAkJRx.jpg

CIPE8nn.jpg

Z7reWx7.jpg

8G9P7DU.jpg

WjhFkpI.jpg

MkEcGl7.jpg

lUGQYNG.jpg

that looks really really good, can't believe how well the paints blended in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom