• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Photography thread

I have a basic Canon Eos 5d, but these pics I took this week are with my Iphone, sacrilege.View attachment 133058View attachment 133059
I have more modern bodies, but I still like the results from my old 20D - the technology of the day didn't allow Canon to squeeze too many megapixels on a small crop sensor.
I'd agree CF is a bit clunky today, but I have to say I've never been caught out with the autofocus, even with the permanently attached 70-210 F4 on it. It probably wouldn't keep up with a passing F-15, but it certainly has no trouble with an older mode of transport:
View attachment 133061
I was always keen on photography (school photoclub and developing our own B&W shots) . In the 70s & 80s I had an Olympus OM1 (remember them) with a bunch of lenses .Then has a long break and in the early 2000s got a Nikon D200 and got lost in the wormhole of chasing Mega pixels and autofous speed. Ended up on a D800 with some lovely (read expensive) lenses and 10s of 1000s of photos that I never look at.

Had an Adobe Lightroom subscription for years (everything shot in RAW) and even a Epson 3880 pro A2 size photo printer.

Grew tired of bags of heavy gear etc. Sold the lot.

It is like owning a speed boat or caravan that you don’t use often. It just sits there and makes you feel guilty. I now have a Sony RX10 (relatively cheap compared to the Nikon gear) that I purchased a few years ago and doubt that I’ve taken 100 pictures with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fabulous - when you get quality like this from a phone, it makes you wonder why we still lug a DSLR and lenses around!
Exactly for snap shots. However if you want photos like Glen does and good telephoto quality, the phones are not going to hack it. But as most of us look at the pictures on a small screen,,,,,doesn't really matter.

As there seem to be a few of the Spinnaker, I thought I'd add another from a couple of weeks ago:

zIitKEY.jpg

Even with the ISO cranked up to 800, the old 20D/ 70-200 F4L combo can produce some reasonable results

Absolutely. One of mine with that setup (my 4 month old Collie pup showing off her sheepdog moves :D

Capture.JPG

Of course on newer bodies ISO is largely irrelevant for all normal daylight shooting. The R6 has a mode where you can set any of shutter speed/aperture/ISO, and the camera varies the one(s) left on 'auto' to control the exposure. I absolutely love this and use it all the time - I set the shutter speed and aperture manually and leave ISO on auto.

I was always keen on photography (school photoclub and developing our own B&W shots) . In the 70s & 80s I had an Olympus OM1 (remember them) with a bunch of lenses .Then has a long break and in the early 2000s got a Nikon D200 and got lost in the wormhole of chasing Mega pixels and autofous speed. Ended up on a D800 with some lovely (read expensive) lenses and 10s of 1000s of photos that I never look at.

Had an Adobe Lightroom subscription for years (everything shot in RAW) and even a Epson 3880 pro A2 size photo printer.

Grew tired of bags of heavy gear etc. Sold the lot.

It is like owning a speed boat or caravan that you don’t use often. It just sits there and makes you feel guilty. I now have a Sony RX10 (relatively cheap compared to the Nikon gear) that I purchased a few years ago and doubt that I’ve taken 100 pictures with it.

I had cheap Russian cameras in the '60s/'70s/'80s ... my first SLR was a Praktica. Then switched to Olympus when I could afford it - the OM-1N was my absolute favourite, and I later used this for r/c aerial photography as well. I had an OM-2 SP too (mainly for the TTL flash metering), and a tiny XA rangefinder compact which went everywhere with me. Disposed of all my 35mm stuff in 2003 and went digital - still got the list of what I sold then:

Capture (1).JPG

Since then I've stuck to a good quality compact (currently a Sony RX100 II, plus a Ricoh GR for aerial photography), an SLR (well, a mirrorless now), and a maximum of two lenses. I can see the compact going at some point as phone cameras continue to evolve & improve.

My dad was an enthusiastic photographer from the '50s till he died last year, and I have boxes of stuff from him that I have to decide what to do with. Multiple DSLRs (Nikon), lenses, bridge cameras, compacts, an A2 Epson photo printer, old 35mm stuff, Polaroid cameras, some medium format cameras, etc. etc. I suspect a few of the 35mm things are reasonably rare/collectable (which is why he'd kept them), but most of the digital stuff will be worth peanuts I think despite being fairly high-end when bought (Nikon D800 and P1000 for example).

Any hints/suggestions for disposing of this stuff?

As you said pal, not worth a great deal. Is there an art college near by you could donate the gear to, i did this with all my old slr stuff years ago, they really appreciated it, will be doing the same soon with my D200, 18-70, 70-300, and all sorts of associated bits. I just don't use it anymore.

If anyone is selling a zoom (70-200mm or thereabouts) suitable for a D20 - ping me a PM...

I had cheap Russian cameras in the '60s/'70s/'80s ... my first SLR was a Praktica. Then switched to Olympus when I could afford it - the OM-1N was my absolute favourite, and I later used this for r/c aerial photography as well. I had an OM-2 SP too (mainly for the TTL flash metering), and a tiny XA rangefinder compact which went everywhere with me. Disposed of all my 35mm stuff in 2003 and went digital - still got the list of what I sold then:

View attachment 133090

Since then I've stuck to a good quality compact (currently a Sony RX100 II, plus a Ricoh GR for aerial photography), an SLR (well, a mirrorless now), and a maximum of two lenses. I can see the compact going at some point as phone cameras continue to evolve & improve.

My dad was an enthusiastic photographer from the '50s till he died last year, and I have boxes of stuff from him that I have to decide what to do with. Multiple DSLRs (Nikon), lenses, bridge cameras, compacts, an A2 Epson photo printer, old 35mm stuff, Polaroid cameras, some medium format cameras, etc. etc. I suspect a few of the 35mm things are reasonably rare/collectable (which is why he'd kept them), but most of the digital stuff will be worth peanuts I think despite being fairly high-end when bought (Nikon D800 and P1000 for example).

IIRC I sold what I could to Park cameras. They seemed fair. Didn’t get the real 2nd hand price but they arranges shipping and packing materials and it saved a lot of mucking about with time wasters, Ebay etc. One lens which they rejected had got mould in it (Brisbane humidity I think). I had it repaired by Nikon and Park then paid a better price than they’d originally offered because it was fully serviced..

My dad (passed away 2009) also had loads of photo gear including his Nikkormat (which I used for 100s of pictures on slides (some on car races at Kyalami where I managed to get “press passes"), Alpa and various lenses which I gave to the photography museum in Johannesburg.

I have a Sony Rx100 III which I purchased in Oz when it was launched (2010 ish ?) as an alternative to dragging the heavy Nikon gear around. It produces amazing pictures which is why I purchased the RX10. Also tried the Fuji X100S but could never get comfortable with it’s menus etc - although the pictures were great.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 133090

Oddly enough i do have too many cameras and none of them are exactly light weight shove in your pocket stuff, and i still have my NIKON F4e & F801s from when i was doing pro wedding photography many years ago. I was on holiday a couple of years ago and i took my 'lightweight' kit ( Pentax K5 and some lenses ) which is an excellent camera, even with the extra battery 'grip' attached - but by the end of the day the bag was getting heavy.

So for the first time in 30 years i bought myself a SONY RX100 11 or 111 not sure which...and i have to say that it is a really great little camera!

As i have a number of old NIKON DSLRs ( D50 D70 x 2 D100 ) sitting around, and all attached to a specific lens for specific roles ( Huh!) i decided that i would try infrared and sacrifice two on them - and i am really enjoying playing around with IR, Next up is butchering the other D70 for 530nm or ultra violet only shots :eek:

An pro photographer once told me that the best camera you have.... Is the one you are carrying .... So the mobile phone does make sense a lot of the time!

PC

Here are some quick IR photos i took whilst wandering around my immediate village, One from the top of the hill behind me, one of a derelict church i found and one of the village churchyard - I only had 5 minutes to grab the photograph of the derelict church...definitely going back there for a 'proper' poke around :cool:

Attachments

• Bath from Primrose Hill resized for THs.JPG
    Bath from Primrose Hill resized for THs.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 9
  • St Marys Derelict church resized for THs b.JPG
    St Marys Derelict church resized for THs b.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Weston Village All Saints resized for THs a.JPG
    Weston Village All Saints resized for THs a.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 9
Oddly enough i do have too many cameras and none of them are exactly light weight shove in your pocket stuff, and i still have my NIKON F4e & F801s from when i was doing pro wedding photography many years ago. I was on holiday a couple of years ago and i took my 'lightweight' kit ( Pentax K5 and some lenses ) which is an excellent camera, even with the extra battery 'grip' attached - but by the end of the day the bag was getting heavy.

So for the first time in 30 years i bought myself a SONY RX100 11 or 111 not sure which...and i have to say that it is a really great little camera!

As i have a number of old NIKON DSLRs ( D50 D70 x 2 D100 ) sitting around, and all attached to a specific lens for specific roles ( Huh!) i decided that i would try infrared and sacrifice two on them - and i am really enjoying playing around with IR, Next up is butchering the other D70 for 530nm or ultra violet only shots :eek:

An pro photographer once told me that the best camera you have.... Is the one you are carrying .... So the mobile phone does make sense a lot of the time!

PC
I used to do my IR photography in Photoshop/Lightroom ;).

The Sony Rx100*** is a remarkable little camera. It was the beginning of the end for my SLRs.

The Sony Rx100*** is a remarkable little camera. It was the beginning of the end for my SLRs.

I never used the 28-135 (equivalent) lens for my EOS 20D again after getting an RX100 II. That has a 28-100 equiv. lens, and the 1" sensor is only slightly smaller than the APS-C one in the 20D.

I never used the 28-135 (equivalent) lens for my EOS 20D again after getting an RX100 II. That has a 28-100 equiv. lens, and the 1" sensor is only slightly smaller than the APS-C one in the 20D.
When I sold the D800 Nikon, I purchased RX10 because the RX100III was/is so good and IIRC they have the same sensor. It has a "28-600”:eek: (equiv) zoom and image quality is surprisingly good across the full range. It amazes me what they can pack into these units theses days.

Do you recall when an exposure indicator in the view finder was a big deal.

It has a "28-600”:eek: (equiv) zoom and image quality is surprisingly good across the full range. It amazes me what they can pack into these units theses days.

The Nikon P1000 my dad had sports a 24-3000 equiv o_O:eek: zoom, albeit using a smaller sensor. He used to take pictures of the moon with it e.g.

image003.jpg

Do you recall when an exposure indicator in the view finder was a big deal.

Haha, I certainly do.

Should have snipped that twig hanging over the dome :)
:eek: Never really noticed that twig until right now! Although i fairly certain that the National Trust has an opinion of visitors wielding a machete and a camera at the same time! ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom